By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do You Still Think Wii U Can Do 25 million??

WiiU-Dude said:
Lucas-Rio said:
It will beat the GC by having a longer life.

25-30 millions seem the total it will reach. Nintendo will probably have a great holiday season with Smash Bros and the continued sales of Mario Kart 8. A price cut would also do wonders.

I agree on the price cut. I read what was the initial estimated cost of production for each unit and if memory serves it was like $228. That was 2012. I am guessing that figure has had to come down a bit since. Imagine an October price cut of $100 then Smas Bros. I would bet ANYTHING that would put them back on the playing field for real! Look what it did for 3DS!! It would undoubtedly signal that Nintendo is pulling out all the stops to compete. The inverse is if they don't you may have  wonder if they don't think it truly will ever fully compete. They will ride it out at current pricing getting as much return as they can. I already own it so it won't mean a lower price for me, but I want to see a true valiant effort. It looks like they are doing all they can with games and amiibo, but all that coupled with a huge statement price lowering like $100 would be enormous. $199 to parents and grandparents next to $399 would be insanely hard to resist. 

PLEASE NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree about the added bonus of a price cut but I think itll be less,249.99$

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Wii U will struggle to cross 15 million mark.

Would you like to bet? The Wii U will cross the 15 million mark by...wait for it...the END OF 2015!

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Snesboy said:
ExplodingBlock said:
outlawauron said:
ExplodingBlock said:
Wii U got better exclusives than GC and will probably have a longer life
At the end of 2015 there really should be no reason for a Nintendo fan to not have a Wii U :?

Wat. This isn't close to being true. Not yet at least.

Mario Kart 8>Double Dash

SmashU???Melee

3D World>Sunshine

Tropical Freeze>Jungle Beat

Pikmin 1&2>Pikmin 3 (Yes I know)

WWHD+Zelda U>Wind Waker+Four Swords Adventure

Hey it is my opinion not yours :/

DONT LET THE NOSTALGIA OVERCOME YOU

MK8 makes me rage like no other. It is not a well balanced game. I also hate myself for spending 100 bucks on fucking controllers to play it. I just...that game is a mess for me. Idk.

DK: Jungle Beat is not a real DK game. There hasn't been a real DK game since 1999. Edit: DKC Returns notwithstanding.

What's wrong with MK8? It's certainly more balanced than MKWii.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

padib said:
phaedruss said:
padib said:

The Wii, DS, 3DS, GB and GBA all disagree though.

For any other manufacturer you're right, but for Nintendo, their games are their bread and butter, it's true for all their consoles, the more popular and the less popular ones. 3rd party games haven't made Nintendo's success since the SNES.

The main pitfall with most posters is that logic that works for Sony and MS is employed for Nintendo but it always leads to discordance with the final numbers.

Sales of their consoles haven't exactly been great since the SNES either besides the Wii, which was a huge fad.

You conveniently ignored the portables, it's not uncommon.

Separate category and don't their handhelds tend to get more support than their consoles? And pokemon

Snesboy said:
ExplodingBlock said:

Mario Kart 8>Double Dash

SmashU???Melee

3D World>Sunshine

MK8 makes me rage like no other. It is not a well balanced game. I also hate myself for spending 100 bucks on fucking controllers to play it. I just...that game is a mess for me. Idk.

DK: Jungle Beat is not a real DK game. There hasn't been a real DK game since 1999. Edit: DKC Returns notwithstanding.

Come on... Mario Kart Wii was MUCH worse than MK8 in that regard..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Yes.

Current Consoles: Gaming PC, Wii U, 3DS

padib said:
daredevil.shark said:

No offense. But I find your comment funny. Okay. Destiny wont sell a ton. GTA V wont pass 1-2 million. LBP wont do great. Okay. You are right. PS4 and Xbox One is doomed this holiday season.

Destiny is the only threat to Smash this holiday season due to it being made by Bungie (high quality) and due to competitive nature and popularity momentum right, yet how it will affect Smash is still uncertain.

Tell you what, since you find this so funny, let's make a bet as to how much of a boost the WiiU when Smash releases will get as compared to the PS4 on release of AC, COD, LBP or GTAV (I'll be generous, you can use the highest of the 3). You can't use Destiny though since I've already admitted that it could affect Smash.

The bet is that, if any of those games cause a % boost in PS4 on release week that is greater than the % boost given to the U by smash on release week, you get avatar and sig control for 1 month. If not, I get avatar and sig control for 1 month.

Lol. You choose a smart bet which has higher probability of happening to your side. You are very smart. Sorry. But Destiny is the biggest title of 2014 and if I cant use it then this bet is meaningless.

The probability of PS4 boost will be lower than Wii U, because PS4 is already maxing the sales. Example, if PS4 sales increases by 50k it might account for 20% boost whereas it will be 100% for Wii U. And Wii U will be kinda forgotten in the black friday deals.

And despite everything Destiny PS4 bundle will crush everything. Xbox One will hold ground. But Wii U wont survive in terms of sales comparison.

GoldenTriforce said:
Oh and for specific sales, I will say with how it is selling now, It could easily hit 35 M lifetime sales. (outselling N64), and pass 10 Million by the end of this year, maybe even 12 Million

It will do 9.5m or above at the end of the year but I don't see it hitting 12m before 2015

AZWification said:
Snesboy said:
ExplodingBlock said:

Mario Kart 8>Double Dash

SmashU???Melee

3D World>Sunshine

Come on... Mario Kart Wii was MUCH worse than MK8 in that regard..

As big as a Nintendo fan I genuinely hate double dash with a passion, while I do admint MK8 MAY have brought out some rage from me I find it sooo much better then DD. Also even if Jungle Beat isn't a real DK game tropical freeze is still better

padib said:
RepedeGoesWoof said:

He's commenting on how PS4/XONE will have a large selection of other titles coming out. Both sides seem to have really weak exclusive IPs (LBP3/Driveclub for PS4...Sunset/Forza/Halo for XONE), but has a large lineup outside of their own even though the games are fairly conservative (filled with sequels and only a few original IPs like Evolve, Destiny, and The Evil Within).

There's no doubt in mind that the games he listed will at least sell respectively well (LBP3 and Evolve) to very, very well (Destiny). As strong as Nintendo's software lineup is, they can't push hardware alone. Do their games push a lot of hardware? Yeah, of course. Enough to justify a console to be a financial success? Nope. I still believe 2014 will be Nintendo's biggest year with Smash and MK8. 2015 will be interesting however. Lots of quality titles coming out, albiet less popular franchises.

The Wii, DS, 3DS, GB and GBA all disagree though.

For any other manufacturer you're right, but for Nintendo, their games are their bread and butter, it's true for all their consoles, the more popular and the less popular ones. 3rd party games haven't made Nintendo's success since the SNES.

The main pitfall with most posters is that logic that works for Sony and MS is employed for Nintendo but it always leads to discordance with the final numbers.

They do push hardware. When did I state otherwise?  Considering the Wii U is in direct competition with the PS4/X1, I think it's clear to see from the numbers that Nintendo games, despite their quality, aren't going to push units on the level of X1/PS4 numbers without additional support. Same could be said about the N64 and Gamecube. Nintendo struck gold when they introduced motion controls, but sales really simmered down after the initial hype, and as evidenced by the Wii U numbers, many of those who bought a Wii abandoned the brand completely. Unless Nintendo can find another fad to latch onto, the cycle will repeat. I also agree with with you on the GBA, GB, and 3DS, but again we're talking about their consoles here. No doubt that Nintendo games sell like hotcakes on their portable offerings.

I would say Nintendo should give more attention to third parties, but in reality, we have no idea how that plan would pan out. Nintendo games are too good to justify buying anything else, leading to third parties dropping support completely.