By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will SSB outsell MK8? Will Amiibos work?

Tagged games:

KLXVER said:
It might with the inclusion of so many characters from so many franchises. Amiibos will probably do well, but Im not sure Nintendo will support them enough...

I hope they do, they may affect other games and they may make nintendo some money, but the bad part is that sony and microsoft will want to take a piece of this "amiibo thing" and they will copy just like they did with motion controls

I want to see nintendo do well and I hope it works out 4 them

hope 4 majora remake :D

Around the Network
lukibrasil said:
KLXVER said:
It might with the inclusion of so many characters from so many franchises. Amiibos will probably do well, but Im not sure Nintendo will support them enough...

if it does well in ssb, they'll start using it in other games. Its just like motion controls. Worked out for nintendo, and everybody wants to take a piece of the money. Its just like how cod ruined some amazing franchises because they were making so much money

Yeah, I get that the Mario and Luigi figures will be used in alot of games, but what about the WiiFit Trainer and the Villager...?

I don't think ambiio will do sh*t, but I think Smash Bros. first week will definitely be better than Mario Kart 8's. I'm not sure about lifetime sales, though.

Loyal fan base says yes :D

MK7 > SSB3D S> MK8 > SSBU

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I'm thinking Smash will do great, possibly outselling MK8's original release. I also think Nintendo will have another MK8 bundle ready for the holidays, possibly with MK8 DLC or an amiibo.

The amiibo will do amazing. Gonna copy pasta from another post of mine:

Yeah Skylanders hasn't sold halo like numbers, but it does produce a disproportionately large amount of money. To play Skylanders, you need to buy the portal peripheral for $45 at retail. Then characters cost $10-15 each. Considering every child that I've met that owns skylanders (6) has at least 12 of the damn things, and Activision claimed the attach rate of the toys was "2 to 3 times" greater than they expected, I'm going to say it's a pretty good market. Those kids spent almost 4 times as much money on that single game than you would a copy of COD. Keep in mind that was 12 at least in my example. There are currently 249 different Skylanders figures. I won't even touch the Disney Infinity series.

I bet you every developer wants to get in on that growing market. Not having to design your own version of the portal or toys is nice for the developer because Nintendo already paid for that risk for them by building it into the gamepad and offering amiibo tech to third parties. Consumers will like it more than the Skylanders model because you don't have to buy more peripherals for each company that puts out smart toys, you don't have to buy a new toy line for each series, and you can use the amiibo across multiple titles outside of a single series.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/14/the-looming-amiibo-how-it-could-reinvigorate-nintendo/

MK8 will have longer legs so probably no. But Smash will have bigger first week IMO. November + bundled Amiibo will do the trick.

Experimental42 said:
I'm thinking Smash will do great, possibly outselling MK8's original release. I also think Nintendo will have another MK8 bundle ready for the holidays, possibly with MK8 DLC or an amiibo.

The amiibo will do amazing. Gonna copy pasta from another post of mine:

Yeah Skylanders hasn't sold halo like numbers, but it does produce a disproportionately large amount of money. To play Skylanders, you need to buy the portal peripheral for $45 at retail. Then characters cost $10-15 each. Considering every child that I've met that owns skylanders (6) has at least 12 of the damn things, and Activision claimed the attach rate of the toys was "2 to 3 times" greater than they expected, I'm going to say it's a pretty good market. Those kids spent almost 4 times as much money on that single game than you would a copy of COD. Keep in mind that was 12 at least in my example. There are currently 249 different Skylanders figures. I won't even touch the Disney Infinity series.

I bet you every developer wants to get in on that growing market. Not having to design your own version of the portal or toys is nice for the developer because Nintendo already paid for that risk for them by building it into the gamepad and offering amiibo tech to third parties. Consumers will like it more than the Skylanders model because you don't have to buy more peripherals for each company that puts out smart toys, you don't have to buy a new toy line for each series, and you can use the amiibo across multiple titles outside of a single series.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/14/the-looming-amiibo-how-it-could-reinvigorate-nintendo/

The problem is always getting people to understand the product and how it works. NFC and the gamepad are going to take time to understand it - I guarantee it. Heck, I own every syatem just about with hundreds of games and it took me a few weeks to flesh out all the cool ways I could use the gamepad with the Wii. I initially thought you couldn't play it on the gamepad at all! Then I realized you could with the Wii mote and even the Wii Classic controller, but what blew my mind was i could use the pointer features on my gamepad uostairs from the Wii U and the sensor bar!! Again, I certainly don't know everything, but I consider myself reasonably savvy. It's tough sometimes for any company to convey how things work, but when a company innovates they face tough sledding. The PS4 has gone the route of 'keep it simple stupid' and it's worked perfectly. They basically made another PS3 with simply more horse power. Xbox had the ugly task of trying to sell the Kinect again and already have basically jumped shio and perhaps rightfully so. I, however, LOVE my gamepad and all it does for me...still Nintendo has done a rather woeful job conveying all that their beautiful machine has to offer. If I missed the boat initially on many features, I'm guessing MANY people have.

WiiU-Dude said:

The problem is always getting people to understand the product and how it works. NFC and the gamepad are going to take time to understand it - I guarantee it.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo did an amazing job of explaining it in the two times I've seen them promote it. You just sit it on the game pad. Success lol.

Experimental42 said:
WiiU-Dude said:

The problem is always getting people to understand the product and how it works. NFC and the gamepad are going to take time to understand it - I guarantee it.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo did an amazing job of explaining it in the two times I've seen them promote it. You just sit it on the game pad. Success lol.

Theres still a ton of unanswered questions, like (as someone else pointed out), what other games will be able to use the more niche amiibo like Wii Fit Trainer