By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Deep cuts at Xbox Europe as Nadella swings axe

Does this include first party studios? From reading I get the impression that it's not.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
firesburning said:
walsufnir said:
How many threads about the same topic will rise?

You mad? odd I bet you never cared when we had 100's sony doom threads on the same topic. Transparent loser.

Bye, Weazel!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

DerNebel said:
walsufnir said:

How many threads about the restructurings at Sony did we have?

OT: Welp, maybe they have decided to readjust their goals in Europe down, by a lot...

eh,. we'll forgive all the articles about building being sold and SM canceling their game and all the other financial dooms and glooms.  we'll just make one for every article posted about naughty dog being in turmoil because amy and those other two guys leaving.

3 down.

75,ooo to go.

OT - i don't even know what this means...

"A source told MCV last night that as many as 75 per cent of full time Xbox EMEA roles in Reading were being cut"

roles in reading means what?   is that like staff to do game localization? marketing?  ..guys paid to sit around and enjoy huck fin?

Why do you ask "when will it stop"? It's about a part of the 18k people and not about people who will lose their jobs in addition to the 18k, right?

at topic:

I always felt as if those responsible for Xbox in Europe did pretty much everything possible wrong. (Not sure how often I said something like that in the last years) so that I really hope that things will get better now (maybe some marketing will be done from Nokia or external guys and so on...)

But obviously still bad for those who will lose their jobs even if they never really seemed to do what was necessary so that they are also those who aren't needed anymore. 

Around the Network
BillyBong said:
walsufnir said:

as long as new articles about the impact/extension of these cuts keep popping up? 

edit.. don't also want to derail the thread, but just read an interesting article about MS possibly losing it's billion dollar android safety net.  apparently the patents MS claims to have over android are weak.. allowing android device manufacturers to reconsider their licensening agreements with MS.

"it was revealed that only 21% of Microsoft’s patents was classified as commercial while 79% was classified as non-commercial. This implies that only a fifth of these patents was relevant, as non-commercial patents have little chance of being licensed and lack market relevance. Also, there are at least 11,000 expired patents from the Android innovation space and another 14,000 from the abandoned Android innovation space. It is believed that companies can now find free alternatives to the Microsoft licensing package.companies which have patents

Moving on to the 127 patent agreement Microsoft holds, even more surprising results were unearthed. At least 40 of Microsoft’s Android patents were proceeded by patents from other companies, which were not mentioned by Microsoft. This finding casts a shadow of doubt over the remaining patents as well. Companies such as Dell Inc. (NASDAQ:DELL), Sony Corp (ADR) (NYSE:SNE) and Panasonic Corporation (ADR) (OTCMKTS:PCRFY) had previously signed licensing agreements with Microsoft.

According to previous estimations Microsoft’s licensing fee revenues could soar to as much as US$8.8 billion by 2017. That now seems unlikely as the next few years will see several legal and business challenges to Microsoft’s Android patent portfolio. There are enough evidences suggesting that several companies, including the largest payer Samsung, are all set to oppose Microsoft’s licensing deals both legally and commercially."

http://www.dazeinfo.com/2014/07/17/microsoft-corporation-msft-android-patent-earnings-challenges-china/#ixzz37oN2EBAC

just seems like a domino effect taking place with MS..

Microsoft makes a fortune through their android patent deals on the basis that their patents are standard essential patents. If this news 

is capable of hindering Microsofts ability to reach these lucrative deals then they will surely regret buying Nokia.

kitler53 said:

"A source told MCV last night that as many as 75 per cent of full time Xbox EMEA roles in Reading were being cut"

roles in reading means what?   is that like staff to do game localization? marketing?  ..guys paid to sit around and enjoy huck fin?

Reading is a place in UK. That's where they work (or worked anytime soon)

Sucks for the employees.... But if you don't have MS stocks yet this is the perfect time to buy buy buy.... If you are late to the party this is awesome news... MS is an amazing company performing extremely well but it needed to cut fat to do even better... From an investor and consumer stand point this awesome news

Turkish when did you start posting good MS news ????

Wait why people compare that to Sony... MS is in the green and has absolutely no financial difficulties it's doing better than it did before 2008... Sony is absolutely not in the same context they are in fact under extreme economic pressure..

crissindahouse said:
kitler53 said:

Reading is a place in UK. That's where they work (or worked anytime soon)

well shit,. that little fact makes that sentance read a whole lot differently.  thanks for the clarification.