By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft ever win a gen?

no

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:
in my eyes they won last gen

Japan isn't huge but it's needed to win any console gen. Until they get something going in japan then no. But they will finish at least in 2nd place maybe

NobleTeam360 said:
Nintendo won't win next gen, it'll probably be Sony again (PS5, Xbox 2, and whatever the new Nintendo console is called) So no it won't alternate between Sony and Nintendo.

In fairness we can't judge next gen.We don't have any concrete details...we jus have to wait and enjoy the current consoles

Ninten78 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Nintendo won't win next gen, it'll probably be Sony again (PS5, Xbox 2, and whatever the new Nintendo console is called) So no it won't alternate between Sony and Nintendo.

In fairness we can't judge next gen.We don't have any concrete details...we jus have to wait and enjoy the current consoles

I don't need any details, I'm calling it now, PS5 will win the next gen.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Ninten78 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

I don't need any details. I'm calling it now. Nintendo will win next gen

No. They got lucky last gen, with Sony stumbling the first year or two, yet still finished last. Sony won't let that happen again. And really, if things don't turn around next year, I can see MS pulling out after this gen. They are already laying the ground work with some of their speech and recent firings within the Xbox division.

And I have to laugh at some MS fans in here talking about MS could win "if they cared enough." Is that how you make yourself feel better about how sales are going? If MS didn't care about winning, they wouldn't have entered the market in the first place. Or lost billions with the Xbox brand. Or cut the price of the Xbox so close to launch. Or gave away their biggest hope of a turnaround, Titanfall, for free for over a month. No, they care. They just can't stop Sony like they wanted to.

In alot of ways they won last Gen, they just didn't end up with the highest sales. In terms of sales I don't think they will ever win a generation, and probably always end up between Sony and Nintendo. This is good though, I have never gone with the console winner :).

Ninten78 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

I don't need any details. I'm calling it now. Nintendo will win next gen

Lol

No. They just have no traction outside of 2 markets, and if word on the street is that China is going to go with PS4 then there's not really much opportunity left for MS to establish dominance. Even if MS hadn't screwed up the xb one PS4 would still be ahead, just by not as much.

I should also add that I think MS is losing interest in the console business. There was a time when people thought / predicted that consoles would start encroaching on PC territory. Indeed that's one of the reasons MS got into consoles as a defensive rearguard action against an OS other than Windows starting to encroach on Windows dominance through the console back door. Now no one believes for a second that consoles are the stealthy way to make Windows loose relevance as an OS. With Android and Apple dominating tablet and mobile, and with tablets rapidly becoming the go to computing device for nearly everything, MS needs to focus on those markets. If they put too much energy into consoles then they will find themselves crushed by Apple and Google. Consoles can't sustain MS and they can't defend MS against the rise of phone and tablet.

Doesn;t mean MS will exit consoles, necessarily, but they will put less effort into consoles and be there only because not being there would be worse. I don;t see them trying to innovate their way to the top via consoles, so they will put out safe consoles that will sell well enough. All the creative and innovative energy needs to go where the main threats to MS live. And that's no longer consoles, never really was.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix