By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Sales More Than Double in June with New $399 Option and Unveiling of Holiday Games Lineup

I `predicted 130K, so that's close enough. Still think the PS4 will outsell it by at least 45K

Around the Network
Burek said:
So, VGC again overtracked XOne. But this time by some 20K, so only about 12% error. It certainly seems ioi tweaked the algorhythm, and it's working.

And this most certainly is damage control, get NPD out of the way a day early, and start working on the next month's statement (4 weeks of summer doldrums). They'll return to 77K again...

I don't know if 77k is a reasonable expectation.

thinking on it a bit, 32k/week is June (assuming the numbers are close to 160kish), and that's 10% above their April weeklies. However, those averages must take into account the limited sales bubble of the $399 SKU availability. So the numbers are very likely (nay, certainly?) weighted by that one week buffing the others a lot when you divide by 5 weeks.

Let's say the $399 SKU week boosted sales by an extra 40-50k that week (split the difference and call it 45k that had waited through May to buy it basically on launch). Subtract 45k from 160k, and you have 115k. What does that bring us? Right back to the April baseline. Now from there, you might adjust for seasonal trends, but I don't expect as low as 77k I don't think. But back down to ~28k/week or even a bit below sounds right.

If you put my hands to the fire and made me predict XB1 for July, I'd put it at 117k. I'm feeling generous.

DonFerrari said:
Why put internal data the day before NPD? Preemptive so they don't need to report the loss to ps4? Or maybe NPD will be lower than their estimative (which count retail schedule = shipped and not disclosed sold through method of counting, because june shipping will be higher than may even if just to make new Sku available and well stocked)?

Damage control.  They got out AHEAD of the news to minimize it's impact.  They also tout "double the sales" of Windows Phone and Surface...and we know how those products are selling, don't we?  PR spin, nothing more.

jnemesh said:
DonFerrari said:
Why put internal data the day before NPD? Preemptive so they don't need to report the loss to ps4? Or maybe NPD will be lower than their estimative (which count retail schedule = shipped and not disclosed sold through method of counting, because june shipping will be higher than may even if just to make new Sku available and well stocked)?

Damage control.  They got out AHEAD of the news to minimize it's impact.  They also tout "double the sales" of Windows Phone and Surface...and we know how those products are selling, don't we?  PR spin, nothing more.

Yep, they likely planned this out in advance.

Announcing the $399 SKU a full month ahead of availability was timed PRECISELY to distract from the terrible APRIL NPD results.

That led to them being able to sacrifice May sales to a severe degree to get buyers to lump into June in an effort to win a month in NPD results and get some momentum. Even if it failed, June results were bound to be far higher than May due to the one-time lump of 'delayed purchasers' AND the 5-week NPD period.

The problem is that the June NPD weekly averages are probably dangerously close to the April results even WITH the lump of 'delayed purchasers'. July will be both a 4-week month AND have no lump to boost the overall numbers.

IOW : July will be at or below April weekly average unless something amazing happens. Spoiler : it won't. XB1 has no momentum.

may - 4 weeks
june - 5 weeks

is it not?

Around the Network
Tamron said:
may - 4 weeks
june - 5 weeks

is it not?

It is.

So around 160k. Not great.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

If PS4 isn't above 200k comfortably, I wouldn't be popping any champange bottles over at Sony HQ either. Something is not right with the industry if that's the case.

Xb1 flying off the shelves indeed

Can't wait for Wii U numbers ;)

LOL Where is Koweniki and his "PS4 is only outselling because of price", or "Xbox has UK and the US in the BAG deal with it"? Come on dog, has anymore been more wrong and arrogant about it then you?

- Moderated, Carl