By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Earthbound good ?

justiceiro said:
As a non-native english speaker, i got desinteressed on the game pretty quickly. There are some weird menus and action, and the status the battle use words that i really never heard of or didn't made sense all togheter.

WTH "it became tame" is supposed to mean?

But if you are a english or japanese native speaker, maybe you can enjoy.

But remenber, its discounted rigth now, so maybe you should get more expensive games

Earthbound is a game about American culture perceived from a Japanese point of view. It has a ton of references ingrained in American culture as well, especially things that were relevant from that era or in decades past. A lot of the humor, references or allegory will be lost on younger gamers who were born in the USA, let alone those who aren't from the United States. Earthbound is to the USA what Okami is to Japan.

This video explains some of it's weirder aspects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552iTUDwYb8&list=UUo_IB5145EVNcf8hw1Kku7w

By, the way, "it became tame" is like saying "it stopped being wild" or "it's no longer dangerous," in the most literal sense. It could also be a double entendre for losing a softening penis...

Around the Network
mysteryman said:
AZWification said:
archer9234 said:
ibrahimman0 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I purchased it and played it for an hour. The writing is well done, especially with random charcters. Reminds me of Pokemon a bit. The hameplay is boring,but i only have 1 chaacter so i hope it will get better.

The game does get more interesting when you find the rest of the gag. Also best function is when the game detects you can defeat a fight in one attack. It doesn't engage the fight. You get a quick won screen. Best invention ever. More games need this.

From what I've seen, Persona 4 is the only game besides Earthbound that uses that function!

Ni No Kuni had something similar. Enemies on the overworld that were much weaker than you would acitvely avoid you (while those similar/stronger would seek you out).

It's definitely something that should be implemented more. The only downside is when there are sidequests involving killing/harvesting x creatures/drops, and they've all started running away from you :S

Evolution 1 & 2 on Dreamcast (and their GC ports) did the exact same thing. In Xenoblade Chronicles, weaker enemies would just ignore you unless you attcked first, or unless they were uniqe monsters that you may have been seeking out and didn't notice on your own. It's one thing I greatly appreciated, and wish more RPGs would do.

why is it good? it is amazing becuz of rpg and its just a fantastic title

hope 4 majora remake :D

Earthbound...the story, the Ku Klux clan guys, the freaking randomness to this awesome RPG...I love Mother games.