By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Newcomers in SSB for WiiU! Lucina!!! Robin!!! and Captain Falcon Returns! 4 FE Reps and No Shulk :0

I found myself caring less about Smash with these nobodies joining the ranks for no real reason. Fire Emblem is a C-Tier Nintendo game at best.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

Around the Network
ToraTiger said:
I found myself caring less about Smash with these nobodies joining the ranks for no real reason. Fire Emblem is a C-Tier Nintendo game at best.

You literally said that in this same thread. Like even that same line. 

I really don't get why having more is a bad thing. You don't have to use the characters, and there's no shortage of others to choose from. Fire Emblem might have a niche fanbase (personally, I'd argue 1.2 million is a pretty big niche, but I don't care enough to engage in that asanine 'tier' argument), but it's also a very devoted one that isn't a subset of the typical Mario and Zelda fanbase. It's also a fanbase that's been confirmed to play Smash Bros, as Fire Emblem GBA was released over here due to the popularity of Marth and Roy in Melee. They're also characters that transition into this setting almost seamlessly, which can't be said for several other franchises being represented in the game.

Anyways...if a small portion of the cast is really enough to make you lose interest..so be it. In the meantime, I guarantee I'll enjoy using characters from my favorite franchise, regardless of whatever characters I don't care about are included for other fans.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Day1!

Super_Boom said:
ToraTiger said:

You literally said that in this same thread. Like even that same line. 

I really don't get why having more is a bad thing. You don't have to use the characters, and there's no shortage of others to choose from. Fire Emblem might have a niche fanbase (personally, I'd argue 1.2 million is a pretty big niche, but I don't care enough to engage in that asanine 'tier' argument), but it's also a very devoted one that isn't a subset of the typical Mario and Zelda fanbase. It's also a fanbase that's been confirmed to play Smash Bros, as Fire Emblem GBA was released over here due to the popularity of Marth and Roy in Melee. They're also characters that transition into this setting almost seamlessly, which can't be said for several other franchises being represented in the game.

Anyways...if a small portion of the cast is really enough to make you lose interest..so be it. In the meantime, I guarantee I'll enjoy using characters from my favorite franchise, regardless of whatever characters I don't care about are included for other fans.

Yes their is a shortage of characters when comparing it to Brawl, and we didn't need Lucina taking up another slot.  What do you think fans will think when they see two Marths right next to eachother on the selection screen,  when chances are most people are only familar with Marth in Smash.   There are plenty of other niche's that have a better chance of becoming bigger than Fire Emblem, and they refuse.  Fire Emblems been in the US for over a decade now, and I think it's best if they give another series some spot time since Fire Emblem isn't a game for everyone, and the sales have consistiently showed that.  Sorry, I don't trust this site for Nintendo sales, I want actual NPD or Media, or from Nintendo themselves.  Once upon a time there was a RPG on GBA like FE, called Golden Sun, recieve praise, dedicated fan base and great sales, the series finally made a comeback a few years ago, and would be perfect for smash, but no, assist trophy only.  

I've not completely lost interest in it, but when I heard Sakurai say this was the last stash video, I was expecting something else than Fire Emblem.   What with their only being 2 Metroid characters and also 4 Zelda characters.  Honestly I'm also a huge fan of Fire Emblem, but I know that not everyone's interested in that kind of game and they actually lose $$$ rather than gain it not to mention the reps are from a game released just last year. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

noname2200 said:
Namiirei said:
Pavolink said:
tbone51 said:

You dont kno S*** about smash i see. Marth/Ike/Robin are completely unique, only an idiot or somebody that doesn't kno SSB would think they were clones.. As of Now Lucina is the only clone but we haven't see her fully yet

I'm an idiot who likes to play with unique important characters, like the first SSB, rather than buy a game full of clones, like SSB for WiiU.

So you don't like SSBU because this game have 2 clone (Toon link/Lucina), but you like SSBM because this game don't have clones, except Drmario/falco/Ganondeurf/Pichu/roy/young link.

Great logic, sir. Try to troll better next time.

No, Ike and marth are not clones because they have the same blue hair.

Actually, they have very different blue hair. One's all short andspiky, the other's going for the pretty boy look, complete with bangs and everything.

Let's be honest, all three of them are very similar and 2 are complete clones.  I've no problem with the male robin/female robin slot, but Lucina looks to be more similar to Marth than Mario is to Luigi.   At least toon link is small and fast and doesn't combo badly, and Ike is a slower style Marth, they both have charge attacks good range and a counter, and a smash that kills almost instantly.   Adding another one to the rooster adds zero to the game, and I'm against it strongly.  Robin looks cool however, and I look forward to playing as her.   Since these are the last people we'll see in Smash, I'm dissappointed.  

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

Around the Network
ToraTiger said:

Yes their is a shortage of characters when comparing it to Brawl, and we didn't need Lucina taking up another slot.  What do you think fans will think when they see two Marths right next to eachother on the selection screen,  when chances are most people are only familar with Marth in Smash.   There are plenty of other niche's that have a better chance of becoming bigger than Fire Emblem, and they refuse.  Fire Emblems been in the US for over a decade now, and I think it's best if they give another series some spot time since Fire Emblem isn't a game for everyone, and the sales have consistiently showed that.  Sorry, I don't trust this site for Nintendo sales, I want actual NPD or Media, or from Nintendo themselves.  Once upon a time there was a RPG on GBA like FE, called Golden Sun, recieve praise, dedicated fan base and great sales, the series finally made a comeback a few years ago, and would be perfect for smash, but no, assist trophy only.  

I've not completely lost interest in it, but when I heard Sakurai say this was the last stash video, I was expecting something else than Fire Emblem.   What with their only being 2 Metroid characters and also 4 Zelda characters.  Honestly I'm also a huge fan of Fire Emblem, but I know that not everyone's interested in that kind of game and they actually lose $$$ rather than gain it not to mention the reps are from a game released just last year. 

1st bold: The character count has already passed Brawl, so I don't get how there's a shortage compared to a game that had less characters, with several clones of its own.

2nd bold: I would have been happy with Isaac or Matthew being included in this game, but the IPs aren't really comparable. Golden Sun's story was basically concluded, minus a loose end here or there, when Brawl came out, and its most recent foray wasn't very well received. That could change, but right now we have Dark Dawn and Awakening to compare the franchises with...which doesn't really do GS any favors.

3rd bold: I don't understand how they'd lose money by including characters that fans want. Unless you mean their investment in the franchise itself....but given that Fire Emblem generally doesn't have very high production values, I'd have a tough time seeing how they're losing money on it. 

As for it being released last year....that's really nothing new. Ike and Roy were included in Brawl and Melee to promote Radiant Dawn and Sword of Seals, and several other characters have used designs from their most recent iterations. Smash Bros. is a great fanservice game...but it's also a great marketing tool to gauge what fans want to play. It's why we have FIre Emblem over here in the first place, and likely why Kid Icarus received a reboot.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

As a Fire Emblem fan, I was very disappointed that this announcement got received so poorly (compared to other reveals at least) People seem to forget that characters like Ness, Lucas, Marth have become very well known and iconic because of their inclusion in smash. Infact, I think MANY would be upset to see these characters go away. When people first saw these characters, they didn't know who they were. Now we have a very similar situation, people don't know who Robin or Lucina are, now once they play as them in Smash, It will make people more aware of games they may not have tried. Smash is actually the reason I play Fire Emblem, because I discovered the franchise through smash. The fact that people are already discarding these characters before even playing as them in the ACTUAL GAME is immature. I do know that Lucina looks to be a clone, she actually was supposed to be a costume for Marth. It seems that Sakurai wanted to pad out the roster a little. Putting her on the roster probably took so few resources to even make a dent in any other character making it in and adds another female character to the roster. Robin on the other hand looks to be like one of the most unique fighters in the game, with sword melee attacks and magic special attacks that have durability and come in many varieties. Overall, I am very happy with the reveals but I wish other people weren't so close-minded about characters they are unfamiliar with.

3DS Code - 2879-0155-3196, NNID - nin_master

Super_Boom said:
ToraTiger said:

1st bold: The character count has already passed Brawl, so I don't get how there's a shortage compared to a game that had less characters, with several clones of its own.

2nd bold: I would have been happy with Isaac or Matthew being included in this game, but the IPs aren't really comparable. Golden Sun's story was basically concluded, minus a loose end here or there, when Brawl came out, and its most recent foray wasn't very well received. That could change, but right now we have Dark Dawn and Awakening to compare the franchises with...which doesn't really do GS any favors.

3rd bold: I don't understand how they'd lose money by including characters that fans want. Unless you mean their investment in the franchise itself....but given that Fire Emblem generally doesn't have very high production values, I'd have a tough time seeing how they're losing money on it. 

As for it being released last year....that's really nothing new. Ike and Roy were included in Brawl and Melee to promote Radiant Dawn and Sword of Seals, and several other characters have used designs from their most recent iterations. Smash Bros. is a great fanservice game...but it's also a great marketing tool to gauge what fans want to play. It's why we have FIre Emblem over here in the first place, and likely why Kid Icarus received a reboot.

1. Brawl was released on Wii 6 years ago, there was a limit as to how much they could fit on the disc, and the game pretty much maxed the space allotted on a Wii DVD.  Since they're are 36 characters (I think), and these were the last of them, that is severally dissapointing to me.    Lucina seems like a completely unnessary to have her own slot

2. That's the thing though,  Awakening recieved tons of advertisements from Nintendo and the series was already publicized heavily in Melee and Brawl.  And let's be honest, there isn't as much to play on 3DS as DS, I think Shadow Dragon and Dark Dawn would be a better comparison even though that game also has "Marth" in it.

3.  They could include more Niche characters into it, or even more third parties to widen the appeal and investment to the other franchises.  Like I said, Fire Emblem recieved enough publicity from Melee and Brawl, more than almost all the other Nintendo series.  Imagine if Xenoblade, a game with high praise and good sales given it's genre, console and time of release, ( and piracy) could be given massive amounts of publicity, and it's a far more approachable game than Fire Emblem, and there's a sequel in the works.  I can't see the Fire Emblem series getting any bigger than it is, given it's genre (Unless they do a full 180 overhaul, which I would hate).  It already has max investments. 

I don't see much more big annoucement they could've done, but doing about 2-4 niche characters would be an awesome idea, I.e Shulk, Matthew, Something from Rhythm heaven, that new Splatoon game they're working on, hell even Rayman Bayonetta, even though that's too adult and I know people will complain about that. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

Zukoninma said:
As a Fire Emblem fan, I was very disappointed that this announcement got received so poorly (compared to other reveals at least) People seem to forget that characters like Ness, Lucas, Marth have become very well known and iconic because of their inclusion in smash. Infact, I think MANY would be upset to see these characters go away. When people first saw these characters, they didn't know who they were. Now we have a very similar situation, people don't know who Robin or Lucina are, now once they play as them in Smash, It will make people more aware of games they may not have tried. Smash is actually the reason I play Fire Emblem, because I discovered the franchise through smash. The fact that people are already discarding these characters before even playing as them in the ACTUAL GAME is immature. I do know that Lucina looks to be a clone, she actually was supposed to be a costume for Marth. It seems that Sakurai wanted to pad out the roster a little. Putting her on the roster probably took so few resources to even make a dent in any other character making it in and adds another female character to the roster. Robin on the other hand looks to be like one of the most unique fighters in the game, with sword melee attacks and magic special attacks that have durability and come in many varieties. Overall, I am very happy with the reveals but I wish other people weren't so close-minded about characters they are unfamiliar with.

You know what, I'm a fan too, and I'm usually not the type to complain about something in a game I know I'll end up getting day 1.

But there's the thing, Smash already gave Fire Emblem it's spot light, 12 years ago, and now they're  doing it again.  Like I've stated here, it's a game that's not for everyone (They were gonna cancel it).  And I think you're forgetting that these characters are in the same series, and I don't think Fire Emblem could get any more popular than it is.   I discovered FE also from Smash, but don't you think these slots are better used for characters from other Nintendo franchises that people don't know?  Like Fire Emblem before Melee? This series is already not well known, it's had it's time.  

Lucina IS a clone, the biggest clone they've made since Doctor Mario, and they give her a slot.  It's 2014, why is this even happening?  Should have kept her as a costume or DLC or something.   Robin looks cool, but that's not why I'm bitching about it.   When I showed my class the annoucment video they had no idea who these people were, someone said a girl Marth?  I know them and I love Fire Emblem also, but as a last annoucment this is in really poor taste. 

And that was the last annoucment.  Talk about a freaking sizzle to end smash's hype.

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
Zukoninma said:

You know what, I'm a fan too, and I'm usually not the type to complain about something in a game I know I'll end up getting day 1.

But there's the thing, Smash already gave Fire Emblem it's spot light, 12 years ago, and now they're  doing it again.  Like I've stated here, it's a game that's not for everyone (They were gonna cancel it).  And I think you're forgetting that these characters are in the same series, and I don't think Fire Emblem could get any more popular than it is.   I discovered FE also from Smash, but don't you think these slots are better used for characters from other Nintendo franchises that people don't know?  Like Fire Emblem before Melee? This series is already not well known, it's had it's time.  

Lucina IS a clone, the biggest clone they've made since Doctor Mario, and they give her a slot.  It's 2014, why is this even happening?  Should have kept her as a costume or DLC or something.   Robin looks cool, but that's not why I'm bitching about it.   When I showed my class the annoucment video they had no idea who these people were, someone said a girl Marth?  I know them and I love Fire Emblem also, but as a last annoucment this is in really poor taste. 

And that was the last annoucment.  Talk about a freaking sizzle to end smash's hype.

I disagree on the point that Fire Emblem can't get more popular. Awakening to me looks like the beginning of a new heavy-hitting franchise for Nintendo. But I guess this is based on perspective and our own personal experiences (I got many of my friends to purchase Awakening and they thought it wasn't for them until they bought it, played it, and loved it) Yes, I agree to that other franchises should get the spotlight but these characters from Fire Emblem havn't affected their chances, it seems like Robin was planned from day 1 and like I stated before Lucina was probably so easy to put into a slot that it didn't affect development at all for other newcomers. The Robin comment was more directed at Pavolink than anyone else. Also this is definatley not the last announcement, if it is then I agree it's not a fitting end for the reveals. But Sakurai said he was NEARING the end of the newcomer videos, I'd expect at least another Smash Bros. Direct with another couple Newcomer reveals. As Fire Emblem getting the spotlight once more, I beleive it deserves it. Maybe not as much as other underrated and unknown IP, but it still to me is one of franchises that deserves to be up there with Zelda and Mario.

3DS Code - 2879-0155-3196, NNID - nin_master