By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED!!! MORE RUMORS: Retro Working on Diddy Kong Racing 2 (Wii U)

Do you like this idea?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 339 36.93%

No... Retro should do something else 281 30.61%

Only if they can do it an... 261 28.43%

dat fur... 35 3.81%

Total:916
curl-6 said:

I'm saying they should invest their top talents in making games with more hardware pushing potential given the Wii U's struggles.

"AAA" games were easier to make back on the N64, back when games were simpler. These days if you have to pick your battles carefully.

And I'm saying no, they shouldn't and don't need to. They didn't do that with Metroid Prime, and they don't need to now. Pick a team to do it and a director talented enough to pull the whole thing together. You don't need Retro making Metroid to make a big AAA Metroid that sells Wii Us and reviews well.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
I just really hope the rumors are not true. Another Kart game would just be overkill...

I'd love another kart game, especially in the vain of DKR. It's so different from MK, it's barely worth descussing together.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

I'm saying they should invest their top talents in making games with more hardware pushing potential given the Wii U's struggles.

"AAA" games were easier to make back on the N64, back when games were simpler. These days if you have to pick your battles carefully.

And I'm saying no, they shouldn't and don't need to. They didn't do that with Metroid Prime, and they don't need to now. Pick a team to do it and a director talented enough to pull the whole thing together. You don't need Retro making Metroid to make a big AAA Metroid that sells Wii Us and reviews well.

It doesn't have to be Metroid, just something that will move consoles. DKR2 won't, so it will be wasted resources.

curl-6 said:

It doesn't have to be Metroid, just something that will move consoles. DKR2 won't, so it will be wasted resources.

Making a great game that sells well and makes money isn't wasting resources. It's doing their job. Support current installed base. Blah blah.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Making a great game that sells well and makes money isn't wasting resources. It's doing their job. Support current installed base. Blah blah.

Supporting the current install base isn't enough for long term survival. Without expanding that audience, Nintendo will be dead in 10 years.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Supporting the current install base isn't enough for long term survival. Without expanding that audience, Nintendo will be dead in 10 years.

If they don't support the current installed base, there will be no long term survival. Nintendo won't be dead because of the Wii U. Making DKR instead of Metroid definitely won't be what does them in.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

If they don't support the current installed base, there will be no long term survival. Nintendo won't be dead because of the Wii U. Making DKR instead of Metroid definitely won't be what does them in.

The current install base is already well supported. What's lacking is any expansion of this audience. Every little bit contributes to the overall outcome.

Appealing only to the same limited fanbase will destroy them in the long run if they don't bring in new gamers.

curl-6 said:

The current install base is already well supported. What's lacking is any expansion of this audience. Every little bit contributes to the overall outcome.

Appealing only to the same limited fanbase will destroy them in the long run if they don't bring in new gamers.

Not well enough. The only support that two major games in the first six months of a year is is life support. You think that metroid game isn't appealing to the same limited fanbase?

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Not well enough. The only support that two major games in the first six months of a year is is life support. You think that metroid game isn't appealing to the same limited fanbase?

Metroid or a hardcore new IP has much more appeal outside that fanbase than DKR2, yes.

curl-6 said:
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Metroid or a hardcore new IP has much more appeal outside that fanbase than DKR2, yes.

Metroid has been selling really poorly lately outside the metroid fanbase. It's like saying F-zero would sell more than DKR2, which it wouldn't. But I agree that DKR2 is an unnecessary game as for the Kart genre, MK8 is the king and is self sufficient.

Nintendo should put more ressources toward games like Animal Crossing or a true 3D Mario. As for Retro, they shouldn't forever become the DK studio eventough I like DK.