By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED!!! MORE RUMORS: Retro Working on Diddy Kong Racing 2 (Wii U)

Do you like this idea?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 339 36.93%

No... Retro should do something else 281 30.61%

Only if they can do it an... 261 28.43%

dat fur... 35 3.81%

Total:916
Lucas-Rio said:

Other M was on Wii, and the reason it sold poorly wasn't the lack of HD.

Another reason was that it was garbage, but a HD Metroid game today would draw a big amount of appeal just from the fact that it would be the franchise's first appearance in HD graphics. Especially since it would benefit from it much more than a cartoonish game.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

You keep basing assumption of sales today based on games from different eras. This isn't the 1990s. It's not 2010.

This is 2014. Gamers want to play a dark HD sci-fi adventure more than they want Diddy Kong driving a cartoon hovercraft in HD.

Not going by MK8's sales they don't. Not on the Wii U they don't.

curl-6 said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Other M was on Wii, and the reason it sold poorly wasn't the lack of HD.

Another reason was that it was garbage, but a HD Metroid game today would draw a big amount of appeal just from the fact that it would be the franchise's first appearance in HD graphics. Especially since it would benefit from it much more than a cartoonish game.

Metroid Prime isn't your traditionnal shooter that sells a lot on the other consoles. Prime was seen as fantastic when it came to GC and it sold quite well for a reboot. On Wii it did not work like that. I would expect Metroid to appear on 3DS first to rebuld the franchise with lower risks.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

You keep basing assumption of sales today based on games from different eras. This isn't the 1990s. It's not 2010.

This is 2014. Gamers want to play a dark HD sci-fi adventure more than they want Diddy Kong driving a cartoon hovercraft in HD.

Not going by MK8's sales they don't. Not on the Wii U they don't.

Mario is pretty much the only remaining exception.

Tropical Freeze tells the true story; a series that sold 6 million less than four years ago, but bombs in 2014.

DKR would suffer the same fate.

Lucas-Rio said:

Metroid Prime isn't your traditionnal shooter that sells a lot on the other consoles. Prime was seen as fantastic when it came to GC and it sold quite well for a reboot. On Wii it did not work like that. I would expect Metroid to appear on 3DS first to rebuld the franchise with lower risks.

Today's console audience, with the exception of a small band of Nintendo loyalists, is much more interested in the dark over the light, the realistic over the cartoon. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Today's console audience, with the exception of a small band of Nintendo loyalists, is much more interested in the dark over the light, the realistic over the cartoon. 

You audience is interested in simplistic shooter than in anything else and I don't want Nintendo to turn into another shooter company. On Nintendo platforms, platformers always outsell shooters. You DK comparison was very bad since the main reason it flopped was not because it was cartoonish, but because it was the unwanted sequel of a 2010 game when people expected something else.

I am not against Retro Studio doing something more western, but your will of having realistic games for the sake of having realistic game is unwanted on Nintendo platforms. The Wii U shouldn't become a PS4 clone.

Lucas-Rio said:
curl-6 said:
Lucas-Rio said:

You audience is interested in simplistic shooter than in anything else and I don't want Nintendo to turn into another shooter company. On Nintendo platforms, platformers always outsell shooters. You DK comparison was very bad since the main reason it flopped was not because it was cartoonish, but because it was the unwanted sequel of a 2010 game when people expected something else.

I am not against Retro Studio doing something more western, but your will of having realistic games for the sake of having realistic game is unwanted on Nintendo platforms. The Wii U shouldn't become a PS4 clone.

DKR2 is also an unwanted sequel.

I'm not saying they should only make darker games, but they should at least make some, given that by doing so they can appeal to an audience they'd don't already have in the bag and thus grow their userbase.

curl-6 said:

Tropical Freeze tells the true story; a series that sold 6 million less than four years ago, but bombs in 2014.

Says who? TF failed because it's a 2D platformer on a home console, not because people don't want Donkey Kong or something. It would have sold better on a 3DS where it makes sense. DKR isn't on the same boat. It would be a first party kart racer on a home console. That actually makes sense.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Says who? TF failed because it's a 2D platformer on a home console, not because people don't want Donkey Kong or something. It would have sold better on a 3DS where it makes sense. DKR isn't on the same boat. It would be a first party kart racer on a home console. That actually makes sense.

NSMBWii - 25 million sold.........

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Look, I know it sucks, I'm not particularly happy that the market has turned this way either, but it's the unfortunate truth that the "critics who treat adult as a term of approval" sadly make up a huge chunk of the console market at the moment.