By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Cancelled RARE 'Urchin' Project on Xbox

Sounds like Fable meets Brutal Legend lol.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

I'm not really into dark and violent games, so no, I would not be interested in this.

It will be interesting to see where Rare goes from here, but I would love to see them make a good 3D platformer for the X1. 

That game would have been.......... interesting to say at least.. I'm not sure if I should feel bad about its cancellation though.. :-/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Veknoid_Outcast said:
We've known about Urchin for a while, but it's encouraging that fans are interested in resurrecting the game, which is built around a really interesting premise.

It's just really disheartening that the list of cancelled Rare games is many times longer than the list of released games. Phil Spencer may swear he's never forced Rare to do anything, but the laundry list of cancelled and rejected games suggests otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is why people like Seavor, Tilston, and Edmonds left.

I was thinking about this sometime ago!

Based on what they did with Rare games,Heavy rain and Rime, I think Microsoft have a restricted vision about gaming demographic(only losing to nintendo).

Basically if is not something that will be a instantaneous blockbuster they ignore.If they can't sell to the mainstream 12yo teenager 'murican boy they will not put their money into.

Why did Microsoft even buy Rare? It makes no sense. They buy Rare, then have them do Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Conker: Live and Reloaded, and other crap instead of Banjo Threeie, Conker Getting Medieval, Urchin, Quest, Perfect Dark Core, etc. etc.

Kameo and Viva Pinata are OK... but not enough. Here is a list of cancelled Rare games from Microsoft: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707691

Games like Urchin, Banjo Karting (Diddy Kong Racing 2 pretty much), Banjo Threeie, Kameo 2, Cascade, etc. etc. would have diversified the Xbox One audience.

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
We've known about Urchin for a while, but it's encouraging that fans are interested in resurrecting the game, which is built around a really interesting premise.

It's just really disheartening that the list of cancelled Rare games is many times longer than the list of released games. Phil Spencer may swear he's never forced Rare to do anything, but the laundry list of cancelled and rejected games suggests otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is why people like Seavor, Tilston, and Edmonds left.

Based on what they did with Rare games,Heavy rain and Rime, I think Microsoft have a restricted vision about gaming demographic(only losing to nintendo).

Basically if is not something that will be a instantaneous blockbuster they ignore.If they can't sell to the mainstream 12yo teenager 'murican boy they will not put their money into.

The Kinect is the ultimate proof of this. They saw the sales for the Wii and wanted to replicate that with the Kinect. The Kinect had a lot of potential... but let's face it it was only made to get some of the Wii audience.

McDonaldsGuy said:
OttoniBastos said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

The Kinect is the ultimate proof of this. They saw the sales for the Wii and wanted to replicate that with the Kinect. The Kinect had a lot of potential... but let's face it it was only made to get some of the Wii audience.

agree!

I want this game.

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!

Chris Seavor, you are a genius. It's depressing that this was canceled.

OttoniBastos said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
OttoniBastos said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

agree!

I disagree, the first years of X360 were amazing with games from every genre and region in the world but games were not selling and then Kinect came...

it says enough that gamers want to buy great Rare games but instead did not buy some of the games releasing,  the best selling game from Rare is kinect sports that is what most gamers really want :s

Personally the cancellation of sabreman for X360 was more sad :s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOWzNaGkNs