By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Nintendo Restored Faith in E3 While Everyone Else shat on it

Saw this on facebook

E3 is a wonderful time for gaming fans across the globe. We get several new reveals, new demos, and tons of information about games we are craving more information from. It also occasionaly comes with new hardware reveals, but also assuredly with tons of interviews for us to salivate over. At the same time, E3 is a time for broken promises. Reveals that never live up the finished product (Watch Dogs taught us that harsh lesson), or outright lies (Alien: Colonial Marines). For all the glamor E3 brings, it is also a world of empty promises and essentially, the master of showing off a game without actually showing off the game.

This was all true again this year... until Nintendo decided enough was enough. Before I get any further into this conversation, I wanted to point out something a fellow journalist had to say on this very topic. Jim Sterling is one of the more respected journalists out there because he doesn't sugarcoat his opinions or buy into corporate bullshit. He calls an uncooked ham an uncooked ham, not making it out like it is the food that, in it's current state, can save the world from hunger. His latest Jimquisition episode really dives deep into the problems E3 presents, problems Nintendo seemed to ignore existed.

http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/why-nintendo-restored-faith-in-e3-while-everyone-else-shat-on-it#.U7cVV2Mk1PM

Around the Network

Lost interest on the word facebook

But just for the heck of it. I think Nintendo won e3 cause they showed us games that we wanted to see and actual gameplay as well as that awesome digital event! I mean, it felt like the wiiU wasn't doomed anymore even though it is! I really do hope they do something like that again on the next e3 and every other e3 cause if they continue to do stuff like that, the wiiU might be doomed but their next console might have a much better chance of success than the wiiU does/did

I think many people were thinking that e3 is doomed and Nintendo wants e3 to go away and idk whether thats 100% true or not but Nintendo sure made an impression that they want to work with e3 and not distroy it imo, thats for sure

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Lost interest on the word facebook

But just for the heck of it. I think Nintendo won e3 cause they showed us games that we wanted to see and actual gameplay as well as that awesome digital event! I mean, it felt like the wiiU wasn't doomed anymore even though it is! I really do hope they do something like that again on the next e3 and every other e3 cause if they continue to do stuff like that, the wiiU might be doomed but their next console might have a much better chance of success than the wiiU does/did

I think many people were thinking that e3 is doomed and Nintendo wants e3 to go away and idk whether thats 100% true or not but Nintendo sure made an impression that they want to work with e3 and not distroy it imo, thats for sure

IDK, I feel like a stage show has that nice old-school vibe. A stage show that doesn't suck, that is. Nintendo nailed it, but they also used a format that is a lot harder to fudge up.

And yes, they really made it look like WiiU has a bright future ahead. Complete reality distortion field there, lol. I hope I'm wrong.

"Jim Sterling is one of the more respected journalists out there"

Stopped reading there.

That was a poorly thought out article. He praises Nintendo for showing a snippet of the new Zelda game that had no gameplay, and then claims that Sony "Shat on" E3 by showing a clip of Uncharted 4 with no gameplay.

"Nintendo decided to try and win people by actually showing their games, and when they had nothing more to show ( Zelda U, as an example), they sort of let it be and tried to avoid talking about it."

"Everyone I know right now seems to feel that Uncharted 4 snippet we saw is pretty much the closest thing to reality we have ever gotten - and yes I have to admit it looks really good. Naughty Dog's track record for pushing great realistic visuals is on full display. The problem is - we never actually saw any gameplay."

"Games should be shown off with gameplay, not snippets where we can only guess if it's actually real or not."

"The Zelda U reveal reminds of this greatly. I can believe what I saw on screen is from the game visually. However, they couldn't show off gameplay, so they stopped talking about it."

"Is it so hard to not overhype something before you can prove it?"
Fanboys hype up games, not E3 presenters. Nintendo showed a clip of the new Zelda, and Sony showed a clip of the new Uncharted 4.

Games should be shown off with gameplay, not snippets where we can only guess if it's actually real or not. - See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/why-nintendo-restored-faith-in-e3-while-everyone-else-shat-on-it#.U7cb5BCTH_F
Everyone I know right now seems to feel that Uncharted 4 snippet we saw is pretty much the closest thing to reality we have ever gotten - and yes I have to admit it looks really good. Naughty Dog's track record for pushing great realistic visuals is on full display. The problem is - we never actually saw any gameplay. - See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/why-nintendo-restored-faith-in-e3-while-everyone-else-shat-on-it#.U7cb5BCTH_F
Nintendo decided to try and win people by actually showing their games, and when they had nothing more to show ( Zelda U, as an example), they sort of let it be and tried to avoid talking about it. - See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/why-nintendo-restored-faith-in-e3-while-everyone-else-shat-on-it#.U7cb5BCTH_F

Around the Network
Boutros said:

Stopped reading there.

I don't think that is false...Jim may be pretty outspoken, but he doesn't hold back out of fear of pissing someone off and he isn't afraid to badmouth people who make dumb or anti-consumer decisions.

sundin13 said:
Boutros said:

Stopped reading there.

I don't think that is false...Jim may be pretty outspoken, but he doesn't hold back out of fear of pissing someone off and he isn't afraid to badmouth people who make dumb or anti-consumer decisions.

It's still not true that he's one of the more respected journalists out there. I'm pretty sure he'd actually be voted as the least respected one if we were to make a poll on most gaming forums. He made some very bad articles during his time at Destructoid and so many of his reviews make no sense at all.

Arcturus said:

That was a poorly thought out article. He praises Nintendo for showing a snippet of the new Zelda game that had no gameplay, and then claims that Sony "Shat on" E3 by showing a clip of Uncharted 4 with no gameplay.

"Nintendo decided to try and win people by actually showing their games, and when they had nothing more to show ( Zelda U, as an example), they sort of let it be and tried to avoid talking about it."

"Everyone I know right now seems to feel that Uncharted 4 snippet we saw is pretty much the closest thing to reality we have ever gotten - and yes I have to admit it looks really good. Naughty Dog's track record for pushing great realistic visuals is on full display. The problem is - we never actually saw any gameplay."

"Games should be shown off with gameplay, not snippets where we can only guess if it's actually real or not."

"The Zelda U reveal reminds of this greatly. I can believe what I saw on screen is from the game visually. However, they couldn't show off gameplay, so they stopped talking about it."

Fanboys hype up games, not E3 presenters. Nintendo showed a clip of the new Zelda, and Sony showed a clip of the new Uncharted 4.

Games should be shown off with gameplay, not snippets where we can only guess if it's actually real or not. - See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/why-nintendo-restored-faith-in-e3-while-everyone-else-shat-on-it#.U7cb5BCTH_F
Everyone I know right now seems to feel that Uncharted 4 snippet we saw is pretty much the closest thing to reality we have ever gotten - and yes I have to admit it looks really good. Naughty Dog's track record for pushing great realistic visuals is on full display. The problem is - we never actually saw any gameplay. - See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/why-nintendo-restored-faith-in-e3-while-everyone-else-shat-on-it#.U7cb5BCTH_F
Nintendo decided to try and win people by actually showing their games, and when they had nothing more to show ( Zelda U, as an example), they sort of let it be and tried to avoid talking about it. - See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/why-nintendo-restored-faith-in-e3-while-everyone-else-shat-on-it#.U7cb5BCTH_F

Lol well that's not good journalism at all

Arcturus said:

yea they did that for one game to show off that it was open world this time.  Next year I guarantee you that they'll have gameplay.  They'll probably spend 3 hours playing in hyrule field showing off the sights.  The difference is that every Sony/Microsoft game showed fake graphics through cutscenes, almost every Nintendo game by comparison almost exclusively showed real gameplay.  

good article and very true