By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is raising minimum wage nationwide a horrible idea?

It's not a horrible idea, but $15 is crazy. It should probably be ~$10.

Around the Network
phaedruss said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Doesn't this just cause inflation proportionally.

Yes, among other things. At the very least, minimum wage supporters should acknowledge that each state has a different economy and a nationwide minimum wage would not work in every state.

yep.  this is why minimum wage should be decided at a state level with no federal wage.

I'm open to them raising the minimum wadge just not the jump that most states are looking to. I'm using the $10.00/hour because the $15.00 that most of these labor movement are asking is stupid and will devastate the economy.

In the past the biggest businesses hit by a minimum wadge boost was largely just in the service industry. (Restaurants) A jump to $10.00 will start to affect industrial jobs as well, since most of those jobs start at $9.00/hour. And the owners of those business will artificially raise their own wadges just to keep a standard. So instead of seeing about $.60 price increase on you eat out order, you will see it spread into the items you buy at retail. Not to mention it will create a "ripple effect" in the market since it may also affect logistics also, I'm not too up to date at the starting wadge of truck drivers. (The prices of transporting raw and completed materials.)

BasiltheBatLord said:
phaedruss said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Doesn't this just cause inflation proportionally.

Yes, among other things. At the very least, minimum wage supporters should acknowledge that each state has a different economy and a nationwide minimum wage would not work in every state.

yep.  this is why minimum wage should be decided at a state level with no federal wage.

Well there is nothing wrong with a federal minimum wage, it just should be the minimum of the minimum.  Like $9 or something.

Its a dumb idea cause prices will just go up.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

maybe not minimum, but i am for maximum ^^

That's pretty high. I thought minimum wage in the US was more like $8 per hour.

spurgeonryan said:

They can still work hard like everyone else does. Right? Why even work hard if it is just going to be given to you?

Working at a minimum wage job there's rarely a chance to advance.  Let's say a few people have worked at Walmart for one, two, five years, etc.  A position opened up and you were promoted to a management position, but there's no other positions available.  The others have to wait until a position is available to advance further in the company.  You can't go any higher unless the store manager or HR of that store were to get moved to a different store or quit, and who knows if another might be transferred in or not.  Take the same thing with the fast food industry but there's going to be one store manager and two managers.  

In addition to all that.  People working at a Walmart, McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc, may be working at those locations for atleast 5-10 years before they get $1 more than they started with.  During that time a lot can happen.  You might get a supervisor who starts putting you on shifts that you can't work with because of the things going on in your life, or a supervisor who just doesn't like you and goes out of their way to make your work more difficult or even fire you for no reason.  You might even be laid off by a company that wants to hire new employees at minimum wage.  Some states are right to work states where you can be fired and the employer doesn't have to give a reason.  Right to work states really mean you have no job securuity.  Or what about people who are just getting out of school and want to start some sort of carreer while they're going to college or maybe these people aren't going to go to college?  Or people who have a degree in one area of expertise but there's no work available or those locatioins may not be hiring at the time?      

There could be any number of legitimate reasons why someone no longer has a job and has to start back out at a minimum wage job because they can't find other work. 

Working at an $8 minimum wage full time you'll probably get $1100 after taxes a month.  Months with five weeks you'll get more.  Where I live in Florida, a single bedroom apartment is $650.  $200 for food, $200 for utilities, and $50 for gas.  You could live off $1100 a month with absolutely no entertainment.  You almost can't even live off of minimum wage.

The minimum wage increase is only bringing it up to what it should have been at this point. Although doubling (in some states) the minimum wage may have some unintended consequences such as high inflation. But as deflation is only bad apparently, there is no choice according to 'economists'. If the economy was more balanced with strong manufacturing and advanced technology sectors like it was years ago then there would be no need for minimum wage and there would be less unemployment.

You can't expect an economy to last or grow on just service based industries

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

spurgeonryan said:
starcraft said:
I am sure people that will never live or expect to live on the minimum wage are more likely to think its a bad idea than people for whom it is their present and only realistic future.

I was on minimum wage after I got out of the military. I worked hard and now am a manager. Or you just continue to do well and get nice raises yearly. People should not just expect to start out at 15 dollars an hour. It has already happened. But I hope it does not happen in the rest of the country. Work hard people! Do no just expect things to be given to you.

The problem i have with your logic is that everyone can work as hard as they like but it don't mean they will get anywhere. The current system is designed to keep the vast majority of people at the bottom fighting for the scraps (or jobs) that are sent their way. If everyone went to university or college no one would do the basic jobs and more people would be unemployed still as skilled jobs are constantly outsourced to Asia leaving nothing. The whole system is in crisis right now and despite how corrupt the politicians are out there, it's nice to see something done for ordinary people. Hopefully it will go further than that with major improvements in American healthcare and education next. Areas which would definitely improve the economy and productivty if minimum wage increases this large, screw things up 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018