By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on Sonic Boom

KungKras said:
They used skrillex in the reveal trailer.

A franchise doesn't get more dead than that.

They should make an ambitious 2D 4 player Sonic that has identical mechanics to the old games, and new content. No fucking homing attack, bring back the insta-shield. That's the only thing that can save Sonic now.

That's exactly what I thought. With all the great sountracks the Sonic franchise has (even Sonic 06, SONIC 06 has a great sountrack. Hell, I like Sonic R soundtrack) they have to resort to dubstep to seem more "cool". The ad was embarassing.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Played it at Post Event @ Nintendo. It is a hell of boring.

Just when I thought that I could not possibly care less about sonic sega goes and digs a tiger pit at the bottom of my well of apathy.

Im not much of a Sonic fan but I was actually a bit excited for it when it was first announced.

Now though....eh.

It looks godawful. Especially that Speed segment from the demo, which looked so linear you could beat it with less than 5 button presses.

Around the Network

Kids love Sonic. And I don't think they love Sonic gameplay; they just love the characters. That's why Sega keeps putting out bad-to-mediocre games and they keep turning a profit. They constantly struggle with the entire concept of Sonic, because making it too much like the originals is boring and trying to incorporate great speed into 3D games is something they've never been able to perfect.

Therefor, making a Sonic game that's not a Sonic game--just a game that kids might like that happens to have Sonic characters--is genius. Real Sonic fans might be bummed, but if this goes well the franchise might see a radical shift after Sonic Boom.

It's a really great business decision. It just sucks for us old farts that hold out hope that Sega will finally perfect that formula someday.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Darwinianevolution said:
KungKras said:
They used skrillex in the reveal trailer.

A franchise doesn't get more dead than that.

They should make an ambitious 2D 4 player Sonic that has identical mechanics to the old games, and new content. No fucking homing attack, bring back the insta-shield. That's the only thing that can save Sonic now.

That's exactly what I thought. With all the great sountracks the Sonic franchise has (even Sonic 06, SONIC 06 has a great sountrack. Hell, I like Sonic R soundtrack) they have to resort to dubstep to seem more "cool". The ad was embarassing.

The only 3D Sonic games that have mediocre soundtracks are Shadow the Hedgehog and those damn Storybook games!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Honestly, I haven't bought a game since Sonic Rush on the DS. I keep waiting on an epic Sonic game but reviews are always negative. For me to buy a platformer in this day and age, it's gotta be Super Mario (90% range)levels of awesome. Looking at the gameplay video from earlier in the year, the game looks like a cheap cash grab. Who treats their flagship with such disrespect?