By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nippon Ichi developing for DS.

bigjon said:
@kingofwhale

you realize 5 ds games require much less resources than 5 PS3 games right... and you did notice that they are being released over a period of one year.... I would not be suprised if it took than same amount of Dev Resouces to make 5 DS games, and it would to make 2 PS3 games... maybe even closes to 5/1.5

Say I agree with your assement of DS dev time 5 DS = 2 PS3

and on top of that, they also have 2 other already announced game to work out. and probably 1 other next gen game at least.

that'd be close to (comparable to) 4-5 PS3 game dev time in 1 year. You tell me, do you think ALL of those games will be as high quality?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Well, with the news that Sony paid NIS a boatload of cash to put Disgaea 3 on the PS3 rather than PS2 - and with the lackluster sales of that game in Japan - this doesn't surprise me. But it does represent another formerly Playstation-exclusive developer jumping ship.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

PS3 getting shovelware confirmed.

ok, seriously- you know the puzzle game while not shovelware, will be very low budget, I can't see that manager game being too high of budget. So really it is possible that all of these games combined = 1 HD game. So I think they will be quality, and quantity.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Garcian Smith said:
Well, with the news that Sony paid NIS a boatload of cash to put Disgaea 3 on the PS3 rather than PS2 - and with the lackluster sales of that game in Japan - this doesn't surprise me. But it does represent another formerly Playstation-exclusive developer jumping ship.

yeah, we all know if Disgaea 3 would've sold millions of copies if it's on PS2, right? like how Disgaea 2 sold millions of copies before it in Japan alone. Please look up sales number first. It's what this website is for.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
fkusumot said:
kingofwale said:
StarcraftManiac said:
kingofwale said:
wow. so they are using their A,B,C,D,E team. no?

I don't know, that many games at once, I smell shovelware.

Nah, Nippon Ichi ain't about shovelware... Ask EA, they know more about that!

I know they aren't, but balancing 5 DS games, ontop of their other console games, you can't expect the same quality from all their teams. I say at least 1-2 throw-away games in the mix. Most likely the actionoriented game.

You're just relentess aren't you? Do you know how many games they have in production and for what consoles?

was that a rthorical question? 5 DS games, with 2 other already announced games. + most likely 1-2 games unannounced (probably at least 1 next gen games). 6-7 games at once is HUGE for NIS.

Okay. So you think asking if you're relentless is a rhetorical question. Fine. And you're aware of how many games they usually put out per year and the quality of those games?

Yesterday you said "let's only bash games that deserve it" and now today you're saying "I smell shovelware" and "at least 1-2 throw-away games". You're bashing games that you have no idea if they deserve it. You have convenient standards. 

Around the Network
bigjon said:
PS3 getting shovelware confirmed.

ok, seriously- you know the puzzle game while not shovelware, will be very low budget, I can't see that manager game being too high of budget. So really it is possible that all of these games combined = 1 HD game. So I think they will be quality, and quantity.

Yeah, about time, PS3 really needs some shovelware, currently this gen, another console is hogging all. ;)

so you are saying 5 DS = 1 PS3? FIne, even if that is true, you are still looking at 2-3 PS3 game dev time PER fiscal year. That's HUGE for NIS. Now I'm not saying all those games will be bad, but I don't think it's wise to push 5 DS games out at once. Do 2-3 and test the market first. 

selnor
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:

I don't even think they have 5 teams. It's likely all being done by the same team. All of their SRPGS have been using the same tactics engine that since the early PS2 days.

Seriously, Play Disgaea 3 when it comes. Then play Disgaea 1... then play every other NIS game.

It's the madden of SRPGs... except they don't care about making the graphics up to date.

Nippon Ichi makes good games... but they don't work too hard at it. 

kingofwale said:

Say I agree with your assement of DS dev time 5 DS = 2 PS3

and on top of that, they also have 2 other already announced game to work out. and probably 1 other next gen game at least.

that'd be close to (comparable to) 4-5 PS3 game dev time in 1 year. You tell me, do you think ALL of those games will be as high quality?

Oh, now that you're called out on the "shovelware" comment you're moving the goalposts. Now it's about "high quality" games. Funny, yesterday you were defending a game because it had a gameranking score of better than 50%. Funny how you do that.

Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:

I don't even think they have 5 teams. It's likely all being done by the same team. All of their SRPGS have been using the same tactics engine that since the early PS2 days.

Seriously, Play Disgaea 3 when it comes. Then play Disgaea 1... then play every other NIS game.

It's the madden of SRPGs... except they don't care about making the graphics up to date.

I played Disgaea on my PSP (via PS1 game) before, and now I'm playing  Disgaea Darkness for PSP, they are all very decent SRPG games, and this is saying something since I just finished playing one of the best SRPG game on PSP (Jeanne D'Arc)

No knocking on NIS, but 5 DS games at once? 

selnor
Episode 2:

Wow, I didn't knew there were still developpers with good games out there that didn't develop DS games yet! Even Microsoft develops DS games (Rare).

I'm going to keep an eye on that RPG.

@Kingofwhale: 5 DS games is perfectly manageable in 26 months (without any delays)! And who knows how long they have been developping already behind closed doors (could be over a year for all we know).

I believe development time on DS is rather short. Who said they made those games at the same time? If a decent game takes about 6 months to develop on the DS, then atleast 4 are decent games! And the casual games like that puzzle and management game can be done in a much shorter time.

Edit: damn Bigjon beat me to it!