By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

Ninsect said:
KLXVER said:

Shovelware was part of the Wiis success?lol

..and I dont hate indies. I do think most of them are overrated and I dont buy many of them. Im not trying to take anything away from you. If you love all indie games, then more power to you...

Bold: Yes. Kids get their parents to buy the shovelware. Who do you think is buying it?

I never said I loved all indie games. It's like with every other game. There are gems out there and there are bad apples. Don't let the bad apples ruin the gems.

Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance, Mario Kart Wii, NSMBWii and many great first party titles was the Wiis success. The shovelware only turned people away from it.

Well, I do think flooding the market with games is a bad thing. You might not, but I do...

Around the Network

I really liked what MS did with XBLA, promoting the gems among indie games. Most indie projects are just that, projects, not good enough to count as complete games. Today it's to hard to make out quality software.

KLXVER said:
Ninsect said:

Bold: Yes. Kids get their parents to buy the shovelware. Who do you think is buying it?

I never said I loved all indie games. It's like with every other game. There are gems out there and there are bad apples. Don't let the bad apples ruin the gems.

Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance, Mario Kart Wii, NSMBWii and many great first party titles was the Wiis success. The shovelware only turned people away from it.

Well, I do think flooding the market with games is a bad thing. You might not, but I do...

Those games helped a lot but the shovelware added to it as well. There is a reason the shovelware comes to the most popular console...because it sells. And if something sells, that can also help sell the console. I'd argue that Just Dance is shovelware. Otherwise, how do you define it?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

At first I didnt mind when it was the best ones from PC making their way to console, but now theres a flood of them ranging from good to ugly, and they are being used as filler for PS+.

Ninsect said:

Those games helped a lot but the shovelware added to it as well. There is a reason the shovelware comes to the most popular console...because it sells. And if something sells, that can also help sell the console. I'd argue that Just Dance is shovelware. Otherwise, how do you define it?

I dont think Just Dance is shovelware. Ive never played it, but its a very popular series that keep selling game after game. Shovelware does not have any staying power.

Sure Nintendo made some money from the shovelware and some people bought a Wii for them, but they did more harm than good in the long run.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Ninsect said:

I dont think Just Dance is shovelware. Ive never played it, but its a very popular series that keep selling game after game. Shovelware does not have any staying power.

Sure Nintendo made some money from the shovelware and some people bought a Wii for them, but they did more harm than good in the long run.

The definition of shovelware, to me, is something that the publisher throws out only to get the sales. Just Dance was released yearly, I believe, and it never got particularly good reviews. Lots of shovelware sold well on the Wii. Same can be said about the DS, the most popular handheld.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:

The definition of shovelware, to me, is something that the publisher throws out only to get the sales. Just Dance was released yearly, I believe, and it never got particularly good reviews. Lots of shovelware sold well on the Wii. Same can be said about the DS, the most popular handheld.

Just Dance has alot of marketing behind it and licensed music. Its not just thrown out. Sure it doesnt take years to make, but the same can be said about the New Super Mario Bros. games...

fps_d0minat0r said:
At first I didnt mind when it was the best ones from PC making their way to console, but now theres a flood of them ranging from good to ugly, and they are being used as filler for PS+.

Looking at PS Plus now I see PixelJunk Shooter (83% Metacritic), Trine 2 (84%), NBA 2k14 (85%), Lone Survivor (84%), Dragons Crown (82%), Surge Deluxe (77%), Puppeteer (80%), Sly Copper: Thieves in Time (75%).

That doesn't really match what you are saying. Even the Indie games in that list have respectable score.

If you mean that Indies are PS4 padding the PS Plus offerings then you might have a point but they still offer you the good Indies games. Some games offered in the past for PS4 include Stick it to the Man (74%), Mercenary Kings (70%), Outlast 78%, Don't Starve 78%, Contrast (59%), Resogun (84%). Again all repectable score except for Contrast. Contrast was a good game in concept that was ultimately let down by broken and buggy controls.

SWORDF1SH said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Looking at PS Plus now I see PixelJunk Shooter (83% Metacritic), Trine 2 (84%), NBA 2k14 (85%), Lone Survivor (84%), Dragons Crown (82%), Surge Deluxe (77%), Puppeteer (80%), Sly Copper: Thieves in Time (75%).

That doesn't really match what you are saying. Even the Indie games in that list have respectable score.

If you mean that Indies are PS4 padding the PS Plus offerings then you might have a point but they still offer you the good Indies games. Some games offered in the past for PS4 include Stick it to the Man (74%), Mercenary Kings (70%), Outlast 78%, Don't Starve 78%, Contrast (59%), Resogun (84%). Again all repectable score except for Contrast. Contrast was a good game in concept that was ultimately let down by broken and buggy controls.

Well compared to all the AAA's we used to get one PS3.....

If they want to add PS4 indies then fine, but I dont see why the PS3 and Vita games are going downhill.

fps_d0minat0r said:
SWORDF1SH said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Well compared to all the AAA's we used to get one PS3.....

If they want to add PS4 indies then fine, but I dont see why the PS3 and Vita games are going downhill.

How old are AAA games on PS4? You expect them to already be giving them away?

Me thinks someone has unrealistic expectations if they expect a $5 per month service to give them 2 $60 releases that are less than 12 months old each month. That'll more become the norm in about 2016/17.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.