By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is your favourite Open-World Sandbox game?

Your favourite open-world sandbox game?

A GTA game (comment to specify) 50 30.30%

An Assassin's Creed game... 8 4.85%

Infamous 1/2/Second Son 14 8.48%

RDR 31 18.79%

Watch Dogs 3 1.82%

Other (comment) 58 35.15%

Total:164

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Around the Network

Star Wars Galaxies
GTA IV
Skyrim

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, and games like that are sandbox games. GTA, Assassins Creed, and other similar games are not at sandbox games, nor are they "open-world sandbox games" as you put it. They're merely adventure games with an open-world.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

sundin13 said:
Playing through RDR right now and I really don't see where all of the praise comes from...anybody care to explain?

Apparently, not having GTA in the title excuses it for having less content than GTA4.  You can hunt animals, catch wanted crimnals, and.... nothing.  That's it for the extras.  You ride horses instead of vehicles that perform differently.  You can't swim.  You can't ride boats except one on a mission.  Everyone gave all this flack about GTA4 having less to do than San Andreas even though there's still a lot to do, then they praise Red Dead Redemption when it's got next to nothing in comparison.

kupomogli said:
sundin13 said:
Playing through RDR right now and I really don't see where all of the praise comes from...anybody care to explain?

Apparently, not having GTA in the title excuses it for having less content than GTA4.  You can hunt animals, catch wanted crimnals, and.... nothing.  That's it for the extras.  You ride horses instead of vehicles that perform differently.  You can't swim.  You can't ride boats except one on a mission.  Everyone gave all this flack about GTA4 having less to do than San Andreas even though there's still a lot to do, then they praise Red Dead Redemption when it's got next to nothing in comparison.

Yeah, mission variety is probably my biggest problem with it. It feels like every single mission is just killing a bunch of random dudes. Yeah, they throw some sort of story around them, but despite the story variety, theres is very little gameplay variety.

Additionally, the sandbox just isn't fun to play around in. While you can hunt animals and catch criminals, neither of those things serve much of a purpose (money isn't exactly hard to come by) and more importantly, neither are fun. The random crimes are also boring and lacking in diversity too.

Finally, I haven't been able to find any reason to use any gun other than the Repeaters (and whatever else goes in that weapon slot). The shotguns do pretty much the same amount of damage but have no range, yet 99% of the fighting is done at mid range. The sniper rifle works, but when I can easily pull of headshots with my repeater from a good distance, why bother?

Around the Network

1 - TLoZ; The Wind Waker
2 - GTA IV (yeah, I know... ;P)
3 - Xenoblade Chronicles

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
1 - TLoZ; The Wind Waker
2 - GTA IV (yeah, I know... ;P)
3 - Xenoblade Chronicles

GTA IV is great as well. But very different from the other two.

You really have VASTLY varying tastes to put it in simple words lol.

Ucell said:
TopCat8 said:

Lol. Minecraft is definitely an open-world sandbox game.

My top three are:
3. Minecraft
2. Fallout 3
1. Just Cause 2

Also, I think GTA and RDR fail pretty hard as open-world sandbox games. They Feel very linear compared to the games I mentioned.

If you didn't notice, Minecraft does not have side-missons or feature a pre-built sandbox environment like the other ones you've mentioned.

Its more of an LBP-style game but with a fully-featured sandbox environment. It isn't open-world.

Yeah. I noticed that the lack of side-missions and a pre-built sandbox environment make it even more open-world than the other games I mentioned. I never woould have thought to compare Minecraft to LBP. LOL!

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

Morrowind which is maybe also my most played open world game of all time. But that doesn't really count as sandbox, right? Sandbox maybe simply Minecraft...