By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Note to all who say "Iwata Must Go"

Tagged games:

etking said:

The shareholders decide about the president and not the board members. Iwata is responsible for the success of Wii and DS but also for the failure of Wii-U and 3DS. But DLC-ripoff and Amiibo pay to win will increase revenue, and my be helping to prevent another loss. I once was a Nintendo shareholder and could imagine to reinvest, as soon a the tablet is being dropped.

The shareholders vote to approve the president. Nominally the company doesn't have to listen to them, just that if there isn't majority shareholder confidence in leadership, then leadership needs to change. The key to most post is seeking the answer of "who would replace Iwata?" All reasonable candidates are basically in the image in the OP, and ALL of them owe their current position to Iwata, meaning he approves of their mode of running things to a certain extent.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Iwata is not the problem.

Let me tell you what the problem is. Its all those damn Marios and friend games!

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Iwata doesn't need to go, some parts of his mindset do however. I'd want Takeda to leave more than Iwata though, his philosophy behind hardware is just terrible, and his influence is likely affecting Iwata in a bad way.

spemanig said:
It's not just Iwata. They all need to go.

you will be a scary boss and a possible future lawsuit if you become one :P

deskpro2k3 said:

Let me tell you what the problem is. Its all those damn Marios and friend games!

That doesn't make sense.  Those games you're referring to makes Nintendo a LOT of money.  They are one of the things that AREN'T a problem for Nintendo, financially.

Around the Network

I like him. But I feel like Nintendo needs a new leader with a new vision and ideas for the company.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MDMAlliance said:
deskpro2k3 said:

That doesn't make sense.  Those games you're referring to makes Nintendo a LOT of money.  They are one of the things that AREN'T a problem for Nintendo, financially.

That is true, but they can't beat Wii Sports, or Tetris.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Is this...logic?! THIS DOES NOT BELONG ON THE INTERNET!

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

KylieDog said:
Or, you know, out him and do get someone from elsewhere.

"Our closed method doesn't work anymore" "Keep doing it until it does" isn't such a great strategy.

Again, this isn't really a defense of what they're doing. This is just the reality of what will happen. It's like the blokes in your country who vote for Nigel Farage (or, for that matter, Nick Clegg). Whatever your ideals may be, your choices are Cameron and Millibrand. Might suck, but there it is.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

1) Japanese companies, especially more insular companies like Nintendo (as opposed to more internationalized companies like Sony) do NOT promote from outside, not to their core leadership. This is not just about promoting foreigners from outside Japan, but about promoting people from outside the company hierarchy period. It's a very rare occurrence (compare to NoA, where Reggie was an outsider from VH1).

2) Pursuant to point 1, there's this well-researched thread from GAF (which we have discussed here before as well) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699964

Yellow = New to the board
Green = Moved up in the board

This means, as of now, everyone on the board owes their current position to Iwata, being either brought onto the board by him, or promoted higher in the board by him.

This means that, even if Iwata were to be forced out, this would only be a symbolic gesture, nothing more. Nothing would change, at least in terms of the leadership style or corporate culture at Nintendo.

This means that, if you are one of the ones who thinks that Iwata is the source of Nintendo's problems, then there are two alternatives which logically follow: A) Iwata is capable of fixing the problems that he got Nintendo into or B) Nintendo is screwed. There is no alternative. Nintendo's not going to bring in some "turnaround genius" from some other company (let alone some other foreign company). Nor is any realistically eligible candidate for the presidency going to do anything substantively different.

So please, for the sake of logical consistency, quit acting like Iwata's removal would do anything.

Is it not possible that Nintendo could promote someone from w in that could operate w the same base business philoshophy as Iwata but execute it much better?    It seems that Iwata s 1st or 2nd biggest shortcomng is his ability to execute- 

Nintendo corporate seems to have had their own "glasnost' as of e3 2014-  They seem like they are now operatng under a different set of plans than previous - who/ what do you think prompted that?  

IMO one of  Nintendo/Iwata s biggest threats is their beleive they can piecemeal further investmetn into their consoles post release  until said console has proven its a succesful product-  I don t think that is realistic anymore- They are going to need to risk more capital on the front end of future console lifespans in order to get off to a good start and ensure proper momentum-   I know that is not how htey typicall operated in the past but they will need to break this cycle to succeed going forward-  The success of the Wii probably spoiled many shareholders and influencers at Nintendo - although they may have future consoles that are succesful like the Wii, they would be foolish to count on similar financial metrics