By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rockstar PS3 exclusive in the future?

In a couple of years players will want more HD quality cinematic content in games, and there is a limit for how much HD quality content can fit on a DVD. This is why some developers who are known for their heavy emphasis on animation and environmental content might want to concentrate on PS3. A good example is the MGS4, and we will be seeing more and more of massive game projects exclusive on PS3 as the demand for distribution capacity grows with game development ambitions.

How about the external BR-players for 360 then? While in the past some game projects have been succesfull in requiring hardware add-ons to be playable, I think that in the current market situation this (requiring the purchase of additional hardware to play a certain game) would only make 360 appear even more like a variety of PC and not a gaming console.

So, aware of the Rockstar past projects and ambitions, I don't see it as impossible that they might consider some projects as PS3 exclusives, even if the GTA4 will sell more on the 360.

Paid by the alliance
to slay all the giants.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ epinefridis

Even a launch game like Kameo was said to use up up to 83% of potential CPU cycles on the 360. With some optimisation and pushing more horse power out the 360 you can still achieve quite a bit more, but current exclusive games like Mass Effect and the high profile Halo 3 aren't technically challenged for no apparent reason. The 360 is hitting its bottlenecks, not caused by still immature game engines.

Gears of War isn't easily compared to GTA IV, GTA VI povides a huge open world and Gears provides a linear gaming experience. Of course Gears looks good, but it's also a slow moving game and I really had a feeling of being trapped moving around in a glass box environment right from the start on the 360.

Whilst I have always been doubtful when it comes to usage percentages on ANY console, the way games look and play better over the course of a generation has nothing to do with how much power is used, and everything to do with how that power is used. 

It was a Sony dev that said he's using most of the PS3's power, but also that he would find more efficient ways to use it in the future.  This highlights how meaningless numbers like the one you just used are.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@Diomedes

Do you mean Officially announced or n4g BS? The last exclusive i remember is LA Noire which is going multiplatform. A link could help there.

we know nothing about these supposed exclusive game coming from R* on the PS3

People should stop talking too much ...

Time to Work !

starcraft said:
MikeB said:
@ epinefridis

Even a launch game like Kameo was said to use up up to 83% of potential CPU cycles on the 360. With some optimisation and pushing more horse power out the 360 you can still achieve quite a bit more, but current exclusive games like Mass Effect and the high profile Halo 3 aren't technically challenged for no apparent reason. The 360 is hitting its bottlenecks, not caused by still immature game engines.

Gears of War isn't easily compared to GTA IV, GTA VI povides a huge open world and Gears provides a linear gaming experience. Of course Gears looks good, but it's also a slow moving game and I really had a feeling of being trapped moving around in a glass box environment right from the start on the 360.

Whilst I have always been doubtful when it comes to usage percentages on ANY console, the way games look and play better over the course of a generation has nothing to do with how much power is used, and everything to do with how that power is used. 

It was a Sony dev that said he's using most of the PS3's power, but also that he would find more efficient ways to use it in the future.  This highlights how meaningless numbers like the one you just used are.

A Sony developer? Who might this be? Building a PS3 engine to get the most out of the SPEs takes years of coding due to differences with how legacy game engines were styled...

I know Epic claimed to have pushed the 360 to its max with Gears. Epic however admits they still will make good gains on the PS3 as their engine matures compared to the current state with Unreal Tournament 3. They even stated 1080p unreal engine based PS3 games will likely be feasible in the future. Interesting considering Epic is closely connected with Microsoft (which claimed performing 1080p games are impossible for current consoles).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

The "current situation" could be very different by the time the games actually come out. If anything, the lead the 360 has now will decrease. The difference between 20,000,000 and 26,000,000 isnt something developers will worry about. What remains true is that without one clear platform to support, it will be harder for the total install base of both consoles combined to reach PS2 numbers.

So maybe backing one horse mid way through isn't such a bad idea. And with the PS3 really having more potential with future games and with install base globally,why not back the PS3.

It seems that there's a high probability the EA / Take 2 deal with happen (hostile or not), so this is most likely a moot point.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Jandre002 said:
The "current situation" could be very different by the time the games actually come out. If anything, the lead the 360 has now will decrease. The difference between 20,000,000 and 26,000,000 isnt something developers will worry about. What remains true is that without one clear platform to support, it will be harder for the total install base of both consoles combined to reach PS2 numbers.

So maybe backing one horse mid way through isn't such a bad idea. And with the PS3 really having more potential with future games and with install base globally,why not back the PS3.

Exactly my thoughts. It's the same reason that the movie studios went exclusive to blu-ray.To make an easier decision for consumers and therefore expand the market.

Jandre, these are assumptions that are far from being logical. So, even if we say that in 2 years PS3 will be 10millions in front of 360, Rockstar would "back" Sonys horse to achieve what? Reach PS2 numbers? That is unevitable and we know it since there is a factor called Wii. With the 100 million difference on the install base, R* published its games for the original XBOX as well. And now that we "suppose" things will be different in 2 or 3 years, it 'll stick to a console. I can't follow you guys. I did't ever imagine that the so called "full GTAIV experience in 360" (i don't think it is so crucial but anyway, it may be proven crucial) could hurt so much.

MikeB,

If you actually believe this information is true make a thread about it on NeoGAF. I know you have an account there.