By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Many Units Would Wii Have Sold If It Didn't Have Motion Controls?

Would it have done better than N64?

Yes 9 15.52%

No 29 50.00%

Very similar to N64 20 34.48%

Total:58

Motion controls were pretty much the Wii..

Around the Network

The Wii' success was somehow inflated... The Wii got enormous buzz by mass media coverage. The image was created that overweight children could lose weight while playing video games, that old people could remain healthy by playing sports games, etc... I wonder how many women bought a Wii just to "play" Wii Fit or Zumba to exercise ate home. And "Just Dance" was another sales phenomenon.

This "health" trend and the dancing genre contributed a lot to console sales and it is hard to compare the Wii with the other consoles.

In retrospective the motion controls failed to deliver. Kinect and Move are over and the Wii U sales figures show that these controls are mostly done and the standard controller is the preferred conrol scheme for most genres.

Maybe the weak sales of the Wii U is partly due to the Wii with its motion controls. Many "gamer" bought a Wii as a secondary consoles but I often heard that it collected dust soon. I too bought a Wii because I was thrilled by the idea of the Virtual Console and replaying some old classics. But the motion controls were really bad.... some games were almost unplayable (like Epic Mickey or Silent Hill). And most of the time I was playing I thought that a standard controller simply would have been better. Thats why the Wii left a sour taste... After the Wii U presentation I simply thought I will not fall for that again. Nintendo should stop trying to reinvent control schemes etc and focus on their games instead.

Not much more maybe ab extra 5 millions

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Motion controls are the Wii. In the beginning, people didn't buy a 'Wii', they bought Wii Sports; and the machine was lucky enough to tag along.

Without that, it would have sold worse than the GameCube, and worse than the WiiU is now.

GameCube numbers at best because the Wii without motion controls is not a legit Wii!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---