By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PREDICTION: WII U WILL SELL MORE THAN XBOX ONE

Do you think this will happen?

yes 784 58.77%

no 548 41.08%

Total:1,332
teigaga said:

This whole thing is too long winded to get keep pushing along....  I could clarify some of my points but instead I will simply say this; I will admit to being wrong if Assassins Creed Unity, Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight all pass without the Xbox recieving a substantial hardware boost from them and baselining well above the Wii U.

Out of curiosity; How much do you see the Wii U and Xbox selling by the end of their Lifes, and what year do you think each will peak? 

Both at around 30-40m each practically neck and neck at the end of their life like GC and Xbox while PS4 possibly 80m, their peak years will be when these two are most affordable with something big so I'll say for the U 2016 when and after Zelda hits I can see a price cut during 2015 as well, X1 is hard to pin point as Halo 5 is huge but the price may hamper it being a peak I'll say when the following Halo game hits as price would have dropped then. The reason for my view is this gen is a normal one with one console dominating over the others but I can see both the U and X1 beating out the GC and Original Xbox if they handle things right in the coming years, not as many consoles will be sold this gen as last so the PS4 will hit around 80m imo.

Around the Network

Before E3 2014 i would have said no way. But seeing how nintendo is going to support that machine and how microsoft keeps losing exclusives to PC i think it's possible now.

Shadow1980 said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Eh...I certainly think the Wii U will sell better than that. I think it'll pass 15 million by 2015 and then will still have a few years left before they release a new console.

The Wii U sold 1.2 million globally by the end of June according to VGC estimates. Assuming it's at 2 million by the end of September and its Q4 sales represent half of the year's sales, that puts it at 4 million for the year and 9.4 million lifetime (though is Smash is a big enough system seller it could end the year at over 10 million). Unless it gets a price cut that gives an unbelievably huge long-term boost to sales next year, I don't see it having YoY sales growth next year at all, much less the amount it would need to pass 15 million by the end of 2015. At best, it'll stay flat or have a modest decrease. I simply don't see any scenario where 2014 isn't the peak year, and 20 million lifetime is an absolute best-case scenario. I will probably pass 13 million next year and hit 15 million in 2016 and maybe 17-18 million by time it is discontinued (likely before the decade is out).

Would you like to make a bet? I won if the Wii U gets to 15 million by the end of 2015 (according to VGChartz).

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Well the Wii U is only outselling the Xbox One currently because of MK8, meanwhile the Xbox One hasn't had a major system seller released since mid March (and it wasn't even an exclusive).

This holiday season will give us a much better idea of what console will end up selling more, right now it's anyone's guess.

TI_Inspire said:

Well the Wii U is only outselling the Xbox One currently because of MK8, meanwhile the Xbox One hasn't had a major system seller released since mid March (and it wasn't even an exclusive).

This holiday season will give us a much better idea of what console will end up selling more, right now it's anyone's guess.

Watch Dogs was a system seller.

Just perhaps not for Xbox One but it was for PS4.  Why one but not the other?  How does that bode for big 3rd party titles later this year?   Will they have little impact for Xbox One as well?  

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Would you like to make a bet? I won if the Wii U gets to 15 million by the end of 2015 (according to VGChartz).

Loser has to put that they lost the bet into their sig for a year. Sound good?

Sounds good to me! I'm in.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Viper1 said:
TI_Inspire said:

Watch Dogs was a system seller.

Just perhaps not for Xbox One but it was for PS4.  Why one but not the other?  How does that bode for big 3rd party titles later this year?   Will they have little impact for Xbox One as well?  

True, I misspoke.

It probably did sell consoles for Microsoft, however it pales in comparison to what Mario Kart 8 has been able to do for the Wii U (and continue to do). 

Destiny, MCC, and COD are definitely gonna sell plenty of consoles for Microsoft, same for new Super Smash Bros for the Wii U. :)

No way in hell, X1 outsold Wii u in US, now it's europe time

and another prediction failed -_- the generation isn't over but XB1 will probably win

Wyrdness said:
teigaga said:

You havent mentioned a single next gen exclusive. Im talking about games which require a Next Gen console to be played. The Wii U is not Xboxs competition, but people being content with the console they have at home is.. all of the games you mentioned can be played on xbox 360, they are not going to push the masses to upgrade

I have no doubt the PS4 will benefit more then Xbox One when those games arrive at the end of the year and in 2015, but xbox will inevitably see a proportional boost and it will sell past the Wii U easily. You need to remember that  there is less than 10k between them right now on a weekly basis and XBox has achieved that with cross gen titles alone. There is no logic in thinking that those sales wont increase significantly when people are forced to upgrade to play the years biggest 3rd party games. Again games only available on Xbox One and PS4;

Assassins Creed Unity, Witcher 3, Batman , Evolve, Mirrors Edge 2, Mass Effect 4, Starwars Battlefront, Final Fantasý XV, Kingdom hearts 3 etc. 

Except many games are already exclusive to other platforms in regards to the Wii U yet it hasn't helped X1 at all, 360 had many HD exclusives and still coulnd't beat the Wii I just don't see it working how you're trying to put it because if that were the case the likes of DR3 and such should have already done what you're saying. The only games that are going to make people upgrade to an X1 are MS exclusives not next gen exclusives because everyone is opting for the PS4 and that's logic no one can deny and what contradicts what you're saying as X1 sales won't shoot up PS4 sales will, the being less then 10k in sales shows how the X1 has suffered as it was ahead by 20k months ago and has dropped behind for weeks now with the gap increasing each week and this was after a non-kinect model just released and did nothing.

The aren't many dedicated Xbox fans and that's the mistake MS and some people have made, the 360 just sold to a wider mass market who have now returned to the PS4 while the original Xbox did GC numbers, MS and some people here mistook the 360 numbers as actual new dedicated Xbox followers and hence why they had their moment of madness handling the X1. How it looks to me is the people buying the X1 have been the dedicated fans while everyone else opts for the PS4 while some migrate to PC, all of you expecting a big comeback will be disappointed as I'm expecting original Xbox level sales. Only a ridiculously significant price cut making it much cheaper when something like Halo arrives will turn things around.

You fought so hard.