By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order is visually engrossing, but uninspiring once you start playing - MMGN

The Order has not impressed me whatsoever.

yet.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
I do wonder sometimes if writers know what they are saying. I bet this guy says these things and then will give the next Call of Duty 9/10. There is nothing new in each CoD entry, less in any FPS that differs from it. The 'differences' are based about the characters and story and if it's 1 demo they are going off, they are the ones who are uninspired.

Games that are linear doesn't mean the game is bad. See Uncharted series and the Gear of War series. Both have linear campaigns, you go in that direct and shoot everything in your way yet they certainly aren't bad games.

I think new franchises get harsher treatment. If you're a CoD fan, you know what to expect, one game to the next. A huge change is messing with a proven formula. But an all new title has the chance to innovate. It's like almost every MMO that came out for the last several years. Back in the days of EQ/SWG/Shadowbane there were huge variances from one to the next. Then we began a period of WoW clones. Every 'new' game copying so many of WoW's mechanics, making them boring, and die off. If people want that, they'll play WoW, because they do it best.

Likewise, If you want to enter the territory of GoW, you need to do it better. Or innovate something. Giving people what they want is good, but giving them what they already have only works if you make it notably better. That's why a new Halo/CoD sells so much more than a shooter that clones them. I'm invested in the Halo storyline, if I want a shooter of that type, I buy Halo. You wanna pull me to another franchise, it needs to stand out.

I'm not sure why The Order has become the punching bag for not being innovative. There were a LOT of titles last gen that did nothing new and received stellar scores. If they at least focus on creating a stable high quality experience with similar gameplay they're fine in my books.

Jereel Hunter said:
The Fury said:
I do wonder sometimes if writers know what they are saying. I bet this guy says these things and then will give the next Call of Duty 9/10. There is nothing new in each CoD entry, less in any FPS that differs from it. The 'differences' are based about the characters and story and if it's 1 demo they are going off, they are the ones who are uninspired.

Games that are linear doesn't mean the game is bad. See Uncharted series and the Gear of War series. Both have linear campaigns, you go in that direct and shoot everything in your way yet they certainly aren't bad games.

I think new franchises get harsher treatment. If you're a CoD fan, you know what to expect, one game to the next. A huge change is messing with a proven formula. But an all new title has the chance to innovate. It's like almost every MMO that came out for the last several years. Back in the days of EQ/SWG/Shadowbane there were huge variances from one to the next. Then we began a period of WoW clones. Every 'new' game copying so many of WoW's mechanics, making them boring, and die off. If people want that, they'll play WoW, because they do it best.

Likewise, If you want to enter the territory of GoW, you need to do it better. Or innovate something. Giving people what they want is good, but giving them what they already have only works if you make it notably better. That's why a new Halo/CoD sells so much more than a shooter that clones them. I'm invested in the Halo storyline, if I want a shooter of that type, I buy Halo. You wanna pull me to another franchise, it needs to stand out.

You never really know how gripping this game is. Its atmosphere and enemies as well as its secondary fire might make you love it even more than Gears or Uncharted.

pokoko said:
So cover-based shooters are inherently bad now? Dang, and Microsoft just paid a lot of money for Gears.

I'm not a gears fan but it looks more interesting then The Order gameplay. Theres nothing wrong with a third person cover based shooter but what they've showed so far hasn't impressed much. Furthermore we haven't seen any gameplay footage that isn't interrupted with a cutscene after 50 seconds.

Around the Network

this is what usually will happen when expectation is too high... 

Ucell said:
So as expected, jealous owners of other consoles are hating on this game. Let me give you the real picture of the game, from a more reputable source IGN.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=185498&page=1#6

Its really reductive to reduce the argument to fanboyism, if anything, you're the one sounding like a PR man. Theres are very obvious reasons why many are skeptical from what we've seen thus far, IGN preview paints just one perspective, the article from the OP another.

Sadly, the more I see the more I doubt the game. Anyway, I still have high hopes for it due to the potential the story has. The basic structure of the narrative is really quite amazing just on its own, and done right it can be more than just good. Characters seem to be interesting too. Visuals are obviously gorgeous. So for now what lacks is more insight into the gameplay and world. If they can get that right too, then The Order has a very good chance to be a great game. Let's not forget that this game is being developed by RAD, which is a successful studio. More gameplay footage will certainly arrive at Gamescom in August at the latest, and a Director at RAD already mentioned as from now they will highlight gameplay more than previously, and also show more open areas.

And some people here complained about some Nintendo fans.

Interesting. Now if you don't like the game, you are hater or fanboy. Indeed interesting

Click HERE and be happy 

I'll judge it when it comes out.