By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My impressions on the Destiny Alpha- Bungie has really outdone themselves

I've played the Destiny Alpha for two days now, and I've already gone and preordered the game. I went in expecting the Alpha to be buggy and unpolished, but boy was I wrong! It was smooth, and I ran into no hiccups (i.e lag, tearing, etc). The world is amazingly beautiful. Here are some screenshots from my time playing (and this is all just from one of many maps!). Any bluriness is because sharing screenshots from the PS4 compresses the resolution.

The game also has an MMO aspect to it, where you can roam around the main city, buying weapons or accepting contacts while socializing with other players. Suprisingly, this was also amazingly detailed, with the graphical effects better than pretty much every game I've seen on current-gen consoles.

Now what about the gameplay you might ask? No amount of graphical prowess matter if the gameplay sucks. 

Good news. The gameplay is better than any other FPS I've played.

Even at 30 fps in the Alpha (bound to improve by the actual release), I noticed no lag during the gameplay. Silky smooth from my experience, and the gameplay felt very balanced and fun. The maps were amazingly big and varied, and hunting down enemies was a joy.

There was also an abundance of missions. There was the standard "kill enemies and collect a certain item" present throughout all MMOs, but there are also missions were you cooperate with other players to get through a map to fulfill an objective. Other times, you're dropped on a massive map, left on your own to find missions and beat them as you see fit. 

Here's some gameplay from me playing (once again, it lost quite a bit of qualty during the upload process, but you can still see the basic gameplay)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7-Y04saxc&feature=youtu.be

Overall, this is the most fun I've had on a next-gen console, and I'm greatly looking forward to the beta (and this is coming from someone how generally hates FPS games!)

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

A screenshot of a hallway in the city sector- the shadows and lighting are outstanding.

Honestly I loved this game, and I typically hated a certain franchise they made in the past. I don't know what it is about this game that just draws you in. Maybe it was that the game environment is beautiful and it is amazingly fun playing with a group of friends.

Awesome!

Loving all the positive feedback on Destiny. I felt so underwhelmed by it for so long, despite wishing I would feel the opposite. Really happy to see this game is shaping up to be awesome afterall.

Thanks for sharing!

pitzy272 said:
Awesome!

Loving all the positive feedback on Destiny. I felt so underwhelmed by it for so long, despite wishing I would feel the opposite. Really happy to see this game is shaping up to be awesome afterall.

Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure!

I felt the same, I just downloaded to satisfy my curiosity and I was blown away. I've already spent 8 hours on it, and it's just an alpha!

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Honestly I loved this game, and I typically hated a certain franchise they made in the past. I don't know what it is about this game that just draws you in. Maybe it was that the game environment is beautiful and it is amazingly fun playing with a group of friends.

Bungie nailed the atmosphere really well. Too. Crashed spaceships, destroyed building, everything in post-apocalyptic ruin. It's perfect.

I am thinking about getting this to PS3, but i have to wait to see it first.

vkaraujo said:

Not quite sure how the last-gen versions will turn out. I'm sure they'll be just fine, but I don't know if they'll get content at the same time as the newer consoles. Are you planning on purchasing a PS4 in the next year or so? If so, I would wait until you got one. If not, I'd wait and see what it looks like and how much they support it, and go from there.

VanceIX said:
vkaraujo said:

Not quite sure how the last-gen versions will turn out. I'm sure they'll be just fine, but I don't know if they'll get content at the same time as the newer consoles. Are you planning on purchasing a PS4 in the next year or so? If so, I would wait until you got one. If not, I'd wait and see what it looks like and how much they support it, and go from there.

Those screens look a lot nicer / cleaner than what I remember from E3 2013 (isn't that where they first showed gameplay?)...

Will probably give this game a shot in the coming months.

Based on the media Activision themselves have been putting out, I was losing interest in this game.

But I've been watching a lot of alpha gameplay over the past few days and it's sold me on the title. And PS4, to an extent (along with some other stuff).