By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Nintendo buy Capcom? (poll included)

???

Yes 1,088 76.46%

No 329 23.12%

Total:1,417
Twilord said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're over thinking this. The types of games Rare made on Xbox platforms would have appealed to the Nintendo audience more. Simple as that.

That's evident simply based on how Rare games have done on Nintendo platforms and the type of games that tend to do well on Nintendo platforms.

I'm asking for examples, without giving examples you might as well say 'most planets in the universe are made of cheese'.

Yeah, great example and a failed attempt at humor.

The type of games Rare makes has a history of doing well on Nintendo platforms and still do, not Xbox platforms.

That's my argument.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Should they: I dont really have an opinion. Monster Hunter exclusivity would be good but they basically get that in the west anyway, and Resi series had lost a lot of respect recently.

Will they: No.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Mr Puggsly said:
Twilord said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're over thinking this. The types of games Rare made on Xbox platforms would have appealed to the Nintendo audience more. Simple as that.

That's evident simply based on how Rare games have done on Nintendo platforms and the type of games that tend to do well on Nintendo platforms.

I'm asking for examples, without giving examples you might as well say 'most planets in the universe are made of cheese'.

Yeah, great example and a failed attempt at humor.

The type of games Rare makes has a history of doing well on Nintendo platforms and still do, not Xbox platforms.

That's my argument.

Except that the counter argument is the types of games they made changed when the talent fled shortly before and after Microsoft bought it. The fact you're not providing arguments to the contradict that either means you agree with the popular wisdom or that you need to work on how structure arguments effectively.

Also just because you're not appreciating my encouragement doesn't mean you should take it out on what was a fine piece of classical humour.

Not going to happen, but when you acquire a company, you do it for more than Intellectual property, you do it for the talent. I'm sure Capcom have talent, and those people could be put toward working on new Nintendo projects.

If anyone thinks gamers are loyal to Playstation or Xbox they make huge mistake.

People buy consoles for the games , if Nintendo could buy 51% of Capcom shares it would be a game changer.

Around the Network
Twilord said:

Except that the counter argument is the types of games they made changed when the talent fled shortly before and after Microsoft bought it.

But Rare always made games in a variety of genres. They also made games in a veriety of genres on Xbox and were generally well received critically.

Xbox era Rare games weren't bad, they just had the wrong audience. MS even tried to appeal to Nintendo fans by putting some of their IPs on Nintendo handhelds.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Twilord said:

Except that the counter argument is the types of games they made changed when the talent fled shortly before and after Microsoft bought it.

But Rare always made games in a variety of genres. They also made games in a veriety of genres on Xbox and were generally well received critically.

Xbox era Rare games weren't bad, they just had the wrong audience. MS even tried to appeal to Nintendo fans by putting some of their IPs on Nintendo handhelds.

N64: Banjo Kazooie (Metacritic: 92/100; Sales - 3.65), Golden-Eye (Metadritic: 96/100; Sales - 8.09), and Donkey Kong 64 (Metacritic: 90/100; Sales - 5.27) GAMECUBE: Starfox Adventures (Metacritic: 82/10; Sales - 1.87) XBOX: Grabbed by the Ghoulies (Metacritic: 66/100; Sales - 0.14) XBOX 360: Perfect Dark Zero (Metacritic: 81/100; Sales - 0.75), Kameo: Elements of Power (Metacritic: 79/100; Sales - 0.32), Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (Metacritic: 79/100; Sales - 0.73)

Twilord said:

N64: Banjo Kazooie (Metacritic: 92/100; Sales - 3.65), Golden-Eye (Metadritic: 96/100; Sales - 8.09), and Donkey Kong 64 (Metacritic: 90/100; Sales - 5.27) GAMECUBE: Starfox Adventures (Metacritic: 82/10; Sales - 1.87) XBOX: Grabbed by the Ghoulies (Metacritic: 66/100; Sales - 0.14) XBOX 360: Perfect Dark Zero (Metacritic: 81/100; Sales - 0.75), Kameo: Elements of Power (Metacritic: 79/100; Sales - 0.32), Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (Metacritic: 79/100; Sales - 0.73)

The Vita Pinata games got an 84 and 82. Kinect Sports scored a 73 but sold exceptionally well.

I believe Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero are also undertracked. VGChartz claims those games only sold 20K in Europe. Banjo N&B apparently saw no significant boost in 2010 even though it was bundled that year. Bundling likely put that well over a million.

Edit: This article claims PDZ sold over a million back in 2006. http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/30/perfect-dark-even-more-perfect
This article claims Kameo was near a million sold but the source link just directs to the Rare website. http://www.vg247.com/2008/06/30/rare-sales-hit-100-million-mark/

Anyhow, I stand by what I said. Those same Rare games on Xbox would have likely performed better on Nintendo platforms.

Recently Completed

Arkhandar said:
fedfed said:
Monster hunter and resident Evil???

hell yes! Buy before Microsoft does....

Actually, that's not a too far-fetched of an idea. Microsoft has the capital and enough interest in the Japanese market to acquire a company like Capcom. An acquisition like that would surely open the doors of Nippon to Microsoft. And considering that they already have an exclusive deal on Dead Rising...

I really think MS will be first on that. That's a perfect match, better sales on japanese market, differenciation, a lot of exclusive games with just one deal. Also they have an excellent relationship with Capcom.

But imho, Nintendo would be a lot better choice for Capcom. Less complex hardware, handled market, better access to the japanese market that could allow them to produce more and better games rather than compete for a few AAA on the latest hardware. And more than anything else Nintendo's quality control and IP management. Capcom has to stop killing their own licenses. I love them, but wtf are they doing to make something like RE6 or Lost Planet 3 ?!

Mr Puggsly said:
Twilord said:

The Vita Pinata games got an 84 and 82. Kinect Sports scored a 73 but sold exceptionally well.

I believe Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero are also undertracked. VGChartz claims those games only sold 20K in Europe. Banjo N&B apparently saw no significant boost in 2010 even though it was bundled that year. Bundling likely put that well over a million.

Edit: This article claims PDZ sold over a million back in 2006. http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/30/perfect-dark-even-more-perfect
This article claims Kameo was near a million sold but the source link just directs to the Rare website. http://www.vg247.com/2008/06/30/rare-sales-hit-100-million-mark/

Anyhow, I stand by what I said. Those same Rare games on Xbox would have likely performed better on Nintendo platforms.

I sincerely doubt they would have. Rare's comparably scoring Star-Fox game, a proven and beloved core franchise, under-preformed. If Grabbed by the Ghoulies had been on Gamecube it seems absurd to think it would have done any better, and after that most their reputation would have been in tatters. Also the increased sales on Xbox games you pointed to just puts them more in-line with Star-Fox Adventures.