By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Nintendo buy Capcom? (poll included)

???

Yes 1,088 76.46%

No 329 23.12%

Total:1,417
Arkhandar said:

No, I don't see Nintendo making anything like that in the near future, nor do I want them to. I have that kind of experience on other platforms.

But going back to the subject, DMC is not developed by Capcom either. It was part of a development contract with Ninja Theory if I remmber correctly.

And it's pretty much evident that Nintendo also wants to cater, at least somewhat, to more mature audiences. They published Ninja Gaidan 3, and are publishing Bayonetta 2 and the recently announced Devil's Third, which by the way has nothing to do with Sega.

So yeah, I could see Nintendo handling Capcom's more mature franchises very well. They're not afraid of the Mature or PEGI 16/18 banner anymore.

They hadn't been since the 90s.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

What 18 or even 15 rated game have Nintendo ever developed?

Killer Instinct games are RARE.
Conker RARE.
GoldenEye RARE
Perfect Dark RARE
Eternal Darkness Silicon Knights
Geist n-Space

I miss anything?  It probably wasn't them.

I'm not sure they have ever made a 15 or 18 rated game, they've agreed to fund a dev at best (devs that went to them) and at worst disowned them.

Oh wait, Disaster Day of Crisis got a 16 on the Pegi system because of its terrorist 'plot', and this was started before Nintendo bought Monolith.  They didn't release it in the US either.

They would never be a good owner of Capcom IPs.  Too many are a level of violence or adult content well beyond anything Nintendo have ever done or ever will do.

What do you think Nintendo buying Capcom would mean, exactly? It would just be them funding those same M level IPs, only they'd own them. It would still be Capcom making the games. That's literally the weakest argument.

KylieDog said:

If Nintendo bought Capcom there would be no Capcom, only more Nintendo studios, and Nintendo have shown they they thus far have never used a dev they own to make a 15/18 rated game.

How many devs have they bought with established franchises rated 15/18 that they could use again? Exactly.

KylieDog said:

Yes, exacty, they clearly know they won't use them so do not buy them.  Hence buying Capcom being dumb.  At most from Capcom they would want to buy a few IPs if they ere being sold off, but Capcom would likely be sold as a whole if anything.

Why do you think they didn't buy RARE even though they owned a large chunk of it and had established their IPS on Nintendo platforms, instead they let MS buy them and then Nintry sold MS their part of RARE too.

That's not a justifiable conclusion to jump to. The fact is, if they didn't want mature games on their platforms, they wouldn't invest in mature games. The fact that they are actively publishing M rated games is irrifutable proof that they actively want those games on their platform. They would use them just like they used everything in the past. Nintendo would buy everything because they can only buy everything or nothing at all. There is no at most. They'd treat DMC like they treat Bayonetta. They'd treat Resident Evil like they treated Ninja Gaiden. They want these kind IPs on their platform, and this would be the perfect way to get them.

They owned 49% Microsoft bought the other 51%. There wasn't anything they could do with that, so they sold the rest. They didn't "let" microsoft do anything. There where financial reasons why buying 49% of Rare, and there where logical reasons why they didn't think someone would be interested in buying the other 51%. Microsoft came out of left field. They weren't even a factor until they bought Rare, which is why they bought Rare in the first place.

Hiku said:

I hope not. Street Fighter on Wii U only? Probably harder to find online matches compared to PS3/360, not to mention the game pad, where you'll probably want to buy an arcade stick to platy. Which is fine for me, but I know a lot of fighting game fans don't want to spend $100+ on that.

I'd rather see Nintendo buy specific IP's such as Megaman.

It could probably have the opposite effect. Nintendo buying Capcom would give them access to developers who franckly understand online better than they do. Street Fighter V could improve the online capabilities of the Wii U instead of being restricted by them. As for fight sticks, honestly, Street Fighter fans are kind of used to paying more than they should for extra stuff. At least with Nintendo, it would just be Street Fighter V, and all the Super Ultra Turbo content would be in the original game. You'd just buy the fight stick. That's it. Well, and the console.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
KylieDog said:

Yes, exacty, they clearly know they won't use them so do not buy them.  Hence buying Capcom being dumb.  At most from Capcom they would want to buy a few IPs if they ere being sold off, but Capcom would likely be sold as a whole if anything.

Why do you think they didn't buy RARE even though they owned a large chunk of it and had established their IPS on Nintendo platforms, instead they let MS buy them and then Nintry sold MS their part of RARE too.

That's not a justifiable conclusion to jump to. The fact is, if they didn't want mature games on their platforms, they wouldn't invest in mature games. The fact that they are actively publishing M rated games is irrifutable proof that they actively want those games on their platform. They would use them just like they used everything in the past. Nintendo would buy everything because they can only buy everything or nothing at all. There is no at most. They'd treat DMC like they treat Bayonetta. They'd treat Resident Evil like they treated Ninja Gaiden. They want these kind IPs on their platform, and this would be the perfect way to get them.

They owned 49% Microsoft bought the other 51%. There wasn't anything they could do with that, so they sold the rest. They didn't "let" microsoft do anything. There where financial reasons why buying 49% of Rare, and there where logical reasons why they didn't think someone would be interested in buying the other 51%. Microsoft came out of left field. They weren't even a factor until they bought Rare, which is why they bought Rare in the first place.

Couldn't have said it better myself (although I doubt they would continue the DMC series, at least with its level of profanity; maybe they'd go back to the original series isntead, idk). No one here expects Nintendo EAD to suddenly start pumping out 18 rated Capcom IPs after a hypothetical acquisition. The only thing I could see is a Nintendo EAD-produced Mega Man. Other than that, it would be business as usual.

Arkhandar said:

Couldn't have said it better myself (although I doubt they would continue the DMC series, at least with its level of profanity; maybe they'd go back to the original series isntead, idk). No one here expects Nintendo EAD to suddenly start pumping out 18 rated Capcom IPs after a hypothetical acquisition. The only thing I could see is a Nintendo EAD-produced Mega Man. Other than that, it would be business as usual.

Yeah... I like to pretend DMC: DMC doesn't exist, so I wasn't even thinking about that one. They'd release DMC: 5. And they'd have the Capcom teams doing it or a 3rd party studio not names Ninja Theory. It would be like the Nintendo-Rare relationship. Honestly, they'd probably let Capcom keep it's name and brand it on the games.

BasilZero said:
JazzB1987 said:
BasilZero said:
No - I dont want to pay full price for Capcom's games.

They would probably be better (because Nintendo funds the games + retro and monolith or whatever helping out and typical Nintendo polish and whatnot) + concentrating on a single platform instead of multiple platforms also shortens the dev time etc.    and well  they would not be capcom but Nintendo games so you wont need to pay full price for capcom games because they wont exist anymore :)

The problem solves itself xD

Or they could end up like being Star Fox having 1 game per generation or Ice Climbers who is just nothing but a placeholder for smash bros.

I rather have Capcom be multiplat than exclusive to one party, whether it be Nintendo, sony or microsoft - cause being exclusive to one party means having to fall to their demands and needs and that also involves restructuring which could make the IPs and the dev teams barren (i.e. Microsoft's Rareware Purchase) for an example or be placed in limitations and on the back burner to put over other franchises.

Yes capcom could end up like Rare which was bought by MS or well like another studio that was actually bought by Nintendo and not Microsoft. A studio we know as Monolith software (which worked very well!) that made one of the best games of the its genre EVER.

Also Nintendo would not change the IP to much because what would be the point in changing a working formula and why buy the games when you do not want to stay at least somewhat true to the original?   And its not like we get more than 1  dragons dogma or megaman per generation.

Also 1 Monster Hunter per generation is more than enough  and especially 1 StreetFighter per gen.  Make it the COMPLETE EDITION and thats it  no need for  normal super arcade and turbo bullshit.

Just think about all the Smash bros additions omg.

The idea is that Nintendo buys a controlling interest. Capcom is still Capcom (just like Rare when Nintendo owned 49%), but Nintendo gives direction and ensures exclusivity. I think it would be a match made in heaven. The only ones bashing it are the usual suspects who tend to always bash Nintendo and stereotype it as kiddie or having terrible online and the usual comments.

BasilZero said:
JazzB1987 said:

Yes capcom could end up like Rare which was bought by MS or well like another studio that was actually bought by Nintendo and not Microsoft. A studio we know as Monolith software (which worked very well!) that made one of the best games of the its genre EVER.

Also Nintendo would not change the IP to much because what would be the point in changing a working formula and why buy the games when you do not want to stay at least somewhat true to the original?   And its not like we get more than 1  dragons dogma or megaman per generation.

Also 1 Monster Hunter per generation is more than enough  and especially 1 StreetFighter per gen.  Make it the COMPLETE EDITION and thats it  no need for  normal super arcade and turbo bullshit.

Just think about all the Smash bros additions omg.

One of the best games of its genre EVER? Thats just hilarious LOL

There's just so much wrong in this post - I'm just gonna end it with this post cause there's no point in arguing over something that is just gonna go on and on regardless of what anyone says.

The idea of Capcom being bought by Nintendo is stupid and would do more damage to the gaming industry overall than benefit it - infact the only people who would actually be happy is like several people have said before - desperate Nintendo only fans who refuse to venture out to other platforms because you know console wars is srs business, if you cant beat them, buy them!

You surely didn't play Xenoblade... That's just sad for you... do yourself a favor & play it asap instead of mocking randomly fellow gamers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001