By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is Splatoon receiving more attention because its an exclusive Nintnedo shooter?

Play4Fun said:
bananaking21 said:
famousringo said:

Accessible to everybody, insanely fun in both local and online multiplayer, with unque gameplay mechanics and lots of depth for the most enthusiastic players to dig into, all delivered with a high amount of polish. I don't want to pre-judge, because the game hasn't shipped yet, but I can see the potential. This is exactly the kind of game that Nintendo should be making.

In the same way that Mario Kart reaches an audience beyond the car enthusiasts who buy Gran Turismo, and Smash Bros eclipses Street Fighter, I see can see Splatoon reaching beyond the audience that typically plays multiplayer shooters. When you consider how popular the genre is, that's a huge potential audience.

The downside is that there's no instant Mario brand recognition, and the install base is tiny, but I truly believe this could be the birth of a new mega franchise.

yeah.... thats Call of Duty  

So you're saying Mario Kart isn't those things?

let me recap. Famousringo said splatoon could be the mario kart of shooters, i asked him what he means by that, he said accessible, casual fun shooter thats easier to get into, i said that spot is already taken by CoD. i didnt even comment about mario kart. 

Around the Network

I think its getting a lot of attention because it's an interesting new IP that actually have color....literlly. Not to say the Division is not interesting, its just that we already know about it and waiting for a release date.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

bananaking21 said:

let me recap. Famousringo said splatoon could be the mario kart of shooters, i asked him what he means by that, he said accessible, casual fun shooter thats easier to get into, i said that spot is already taken by CoD. i didnt even comment about mario kart. 

So you're saying COD is like Mario Kart in that if you have a bunch of people of different ages or gaming experience come over, you can  put it on and get some multiplayer games going?

Play4Fun said:
bananaking21 said:

So you're saying COD is like Mario Kart in that if you have a bunch of people of different ages or gaming experience come over, you can  put it on and get some multiplayer games going?

Yes.

bananaking21 said:
Play4Fun said:
bananaking21 said:

Yes.

Well then you'd be wrong.

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
bananaking21 said:

Yes.

Prove it. 

RolStoppable said:
sundin13 said:

I would like that...you said that it looks like a game that wouldn't get a retail release but what exactly does that mean?

It means that it wouldn't get a retail release, because the current golden standard dictates that a colorful game has to be pushed into the digital-only space. You can pretty much count the big budget games that were not M-rated, sports or racing games during the last five years on two hands; and the ones that did come out were usually backed by either Sony or Microsoft, or JRPGs. Consequently, the belief that a game like Splatoon does not belong in retail has set in, therefore it has got to be an eShop title.

You aren't inside that bubble, therefore this kind of thinking seems strange to you. Probably because you are a Nintendo fan, so the idea that a game like Splatoon is retail release material isn't foreign to you. After all, most Nintendo games are like that, so your perceived normality differs.

I see...that is a strange way of thinking but I suppose it makes a little bit of sense. It feels like those words are being thrown around as insults, but if it is just because some people don't know how Splatoon fits into the gaming landscape I wont argue with them too much. 

bananaking21 said:
Play4Fun said:
bananaking21 said:

Yes.

Prove it. 

I think the difference is that Mario Kart stands outside all (or most) other racing games and does something different (when compared to other racers), while Call of Duty stands at the epicenter all FPS and does something familiar (when compared to other FPS)

padib said:

People are typically excited when they play Mario Kart. They get aggressive when they play COD.

Proof is in the well-known bad-mouthing videos that make fun of people who troll other people on COD. On U, people draw things to each other.

One's happier and more fun, the other is less.

so just because some young bratty teens scream at each other while playing at an esport tournament makes the game unaccessible, easy to pick up, and people dont enjoy playing its multplayer together? you actually proved my point by bringing the esports in this, if it wasnt accessible and all that other stuff we mentioned it wouldnt have become an esport in the first place.

you can accept it or not, but CoD is the go to game for the multiplayer fix in the shooter genre, and splatoon wont take its place. 

Mystro-Sama said:
bananaking21 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Why the hate? This game looks fun, it's as simple as that. Not to mention it uses gameplay ideas not used before.

just because i am pointing out an observation i had about a game does not mean i am hating on it. 

You said it yourself that it doesn't deserve the praise it's getting, even though you know it's a fun game and started comparing it to the likes of The Division which is just ridiculous.

i havent played it to judge, i can only comment on my observation, from what i see that yes, it is a fun game, however i feel its getting more attention that it would have if it were a multiplate or on xbox/ps because its a nintendo shooter, and you dont see that everyday. 

read the thread tittle, it says is splatoon recieving more attention because its a nintendo shooter, not is spaltroon recieving attention just because its a nintendo shooter, there is a big difference.

bananaking21 said:
Play4Fun said:
bananaking21 said:

Yes.

Prove it. 

Had a small party at my house with little kids, plus adults who don't play video-games. Put on MK and pretty much everyone had fun playing multiplayer with each other.  The result wouldn't have been the same with COD, an M rated game with blood, gore, violence and cursing. Some of the kids wouldn't have been interested in playing, especially the girls and some of the adults would have been turned off by the intense violence and cursing.

Mario Kart is a family friendly game. COD is not.

You know this, that's why I asked you the question earlier to see if you would admit it, but of course you didn't.