Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart 8 = Future Pikman games?

Thoughts?

Pk4 confirmed! 41 82.00%

never again 2 4.00%

What's mariokart? 3 6.00%

I iz Apple hipster 4 8.00%

Total:50

Yes, from now on every Mario Kart game will come bundled with a new Pikmin game.

The market has spoken.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:

You seem to be conflating Call of Duty 2 with Call of Duty 2: Big Red One. They're two different games.

CoD2 sold about 2 million, BRO sold about 4 million. And compare it with CoD4, which sold 9 million copies on the 360 alone and 19 million across all platforms (not counting DS version, which I believe was a different game).

Yes I am. But I'd say they are both Call of Duty 2, released at the same time. And being released on separate systems I doubt there was that much crossover in sales base. Not more than we disregard for something like Pokemon at least. But I'll concede to you on that, sure, it's not the important thing. Still, Finest Hour sold 4.5 million. CoD3 sold 7.4 million.

Point is the franchise was already a big big hit from the first installment and was only trending upward. Pikmin alternatively has been trending slightly downward and does not fall into a popular genre. It's potential is pretty capped. I'm not making Rol's point that another one won't be made, but it looks like max sales potential was reached with Pikmin 1. Just like, say, Katamari and Metroid Prime.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be aggressive, sorry if it seems so.

Seems like people aren't even willing to pay for Pikmin, maybe there are lots of people who didn't really know what it is, and if they liked it, they'll buy the next one (for money). Maybe.

Yep.

Aielyn said:

That's what they said about Call of Duty.

It has already been pointed out that CoD started out stronger and kept growing with each new release. The same doesn't hold true for Pikmin, so at this point it's pretty clear that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing; you've already run out of any good points you could make.

The Pikmin series got over a decade to prove itself. The first game benefited from a release close to the GC launch, the second suffered from a release close to the point where things started to go really downhill for the GC. Then both games got a second chance on the Wii as budget releases, but that didn't help the IP either, even though the Wii was a much more popular console than the GC. The third game on the Wii U proved what could already be expected, that the appeal of the Pikmin IP is limited. That leaves a fundamental change to the formula as the only option to make it popular, but at that point it basically ceases to be Pikmin, so why even call it Pikmin? The third game also showed that the developers have run out of ideas that could be implemented in a hypothetical fourth game, so this is pretty much the point where it's inevitable that staleness would settle in which in turn hurts sales.

There's no good reason to make Pikmin 4.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

If they do make a Pikmin 4, which I hope they do, here's hoping they re-up somethings in the franchise that they never should have taken away in 3:

1. Treasure hunting. Finding fruit is a nice plot/game device, but not being able to still find random trinkets, one of THE coolest things about Pikmin, was fuckin' dumb and disappointing.

2. Let me zoom in/out the goddamn camera again. Being stuck in ONE fucking camera zoom the entire game, made playing it more of a chore sometimes than it should have been.

3. BRING BACK FUCKING C-STICK STYLE SWARMING. That was such a huge part of the gameplay in 1 & 2. Taking it out in 3 made absolutely zero sense at all, and again, made the game more needlessly frustrating to play at many points in the game, especially boss battles, where moving the mass of Pikmin with your other stick was VITAL.

4. More than one fucking save file. Seriously, dating back to the NES with multiple save file games...that was just dumb.

5. Bring back Olimar. The new characters were neat for one game. But let's get the hero of the show back.

I liked Pikmin 3 to a point. But after waiting years eagerly for it to finally come out, I couldn't help being really let down by it. It honestly seemed as if the development team hadn't even played the first two games at times. So if they DO ever make a 4, here's hoping they get it right again.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Aielyn said:

That's what they said about Call of Duty.

It has already been pointed out that CoD started out stronger and kept growing with each new release. The same doesn't hold true for Pikmin, so at this point it's pretty clear that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing; you've already run out of any good points you could make.

Pikmin 3 is on a system with an install base of 6.3 million, and sold 0.77 million retail copies (which is a little over 12.2%). Add on, say, 20% digital to bring it up to 0.92 million (about 14.6%), and you're looking at a much stronger performance than the original Pikmin's 1.63 million with an install base of about 21 million (that's about 7.8%). Of course, my real point is that the generation hasn't finished, Pikmin 3 is still selling, and while it may not be selling as much right now because of the Mario Kart 8 deal, think about what happens in about 6 months from now.

Meanwhile, the point with CoD was to demonstrate that a game can take a big leap in sales numbers. It's one of the biggest franchises now, but wasn't nearly as big early on. You want an example of a franchise that was in decline before taking off? How about Metroid? Mario Party? Ratchet & Clank? Diablo? Mario & Luigi? Midnight Club?

It only takes one game.

Also, I'd like to know where you got your crystal ball, because you seem to know a remarkable amount about what Nintendo's developers might be capable of thinking of, in terms of ideas. Personally, I can think of five or six ways that they could go with Pikmin in the next title. And there *will* be a next title.

Also, if you're going to invoke the sales of the NPC Pikmin titles on the Wii, then I'll do the same. Pikmin 3 has outsold both of the NPC titles quite handily, despite being on a much smaller install base. By your reasoning, Pikmin 3 proves the increase in demand for Pikmin.

I think Nintendo desperately wants Pikmin to grow as a franchise. Miyamoto won't be around forever. Better make the most of the IPs he can give you.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Pikmin*

I see that you've learned. :P

Pikmin 4 in 2022 confirmed?