By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 or Gears 2. Which will sell more?

Gears 2 will sale more overall. Xbox 360 has a bigger install base plus Microsoft will spend lots on advertisment.
MGS4 will sell more proportionally. i mean like for example 30% of ps3 owners will buy MGS4, while 25% of Xbox 360 owners will have Gears of War 2.

IDK, GOW2 could even sell more porportionally. but i doubt it

Around the Network

What was the install base of the 360 when gears 1 launched?

I think one of the reasons that gears 1 did so well was because it looked (and played) so damn well. Before gears nothing on console looked that good, not to mention it had a huge advertising budget and it is pretty easy to tap into what the xbox fan base wants. I think gears 2 will be a roaring success but it has some competition this year.

i think the sales between the two will be pretty even.....

Currently Watching - Naruto, One Piece

Waiting For - Skyrim, Mass Effect 3

PS3 Trophies

MGS4.

I think Gears 2 will sell more.

Around the Network

Gears is released in the same timeframe as CoD4 and it's a much bigger title, so... Gears2 >>> MGS4.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Gears is not a bigger title that CoD4. Sorry it has almost caugt gears and that Game has legs like no other. Gears was an average game with amazing graphics. Gears 2 has potential but MGS4 has potential and fewer amazing apps to compete with so I am going to go with MGS4! (i think it will be similar to DMC4...Gears more in US, MGS4 more in Japan and Others)

De85 said:
Moneybags said:
@friedtofu

Mgs4 has more worldwide appeal. Plus that 7 million gap is closing day by day and will probably be gone in couple years.

While the gap may be gone on a couple of years, MGS4 is launching this year so your comment is irrelevant.  AS for me, I've never played a MGS so I'll be going Gears exclusive.

No My point was not irrelevent because MGS4 still has 4 months before release also games on a console with increasing sales year over year will most likely have better legs than games on a console with decreasing sales.

While close it may be, I think MGS4 mainly due to Japan sales make up for what lead Gears has in the US.

Hmm, pie.

I think people saying the MGS series is in decline sales-wise are misinformed.

MGS1 and MGS2 essentially sold the same, close to 6 million.
MGS3 sold about 4 mil. The drop in sales can be attributed to huge competition (Launched in same time frame as Halo and GTA, which explains the lower US sales), and the fact that it was a prequel with a new cast of characters.

MGS4 is the last in the series. Traditionally, in most forms of media, the finale of a series sells the best. People want to see how things end, that's a given.
Add the fact that MGS4 adds TONS of gameplay improvements and innovations, is the first on the PS3, as well as significantly more hyped than the other MGS titles, and I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 moves more copies than any of its predecessors have.

MGS4 wins this one, although it should be relatively close.