By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 or Gears 2. Which will sell more?

I will go with MGS4

Around the Network

If Gears2 doesn't sell more, the consoles dead in the water.

Borkachev said:
No, MGS2 was released during launch period. At it's release it was the most anticipated game of all time and nothing rivaled it's next gen graphics. MGS3 wasn't hyped at all, it was released pretty quietly, it wasn't during a launch period, it released alongside halo2 plus gtasa and it's graphics were'nt anything special. MGS4 is having all the qualities I listed for 2 above

Exactly. This is the pattern that series games always follow over the course of a console generation. The first one is revolutionary, a showpiece for the system, it gets hyped to no end and sells huge. The later ones just tweak the formula a bit, and while they may be superior, they very rarely match the sales of the first. When a next-gen version comes along, sales shoot up again and the cycle repeats. The "decline" in FF Soriku cites is actually another perfect example of this.

MGS4 will sell more than MGS3. Probably a lot more, unless it's really bad. It might even end up being the best seller in the series -- it's certainly the most hyped, and it's by far the most important PS3 game on the horizon.

Also, a lot of people are mentioning install bases and attach rates, but if there's one thing that sales history has shown, it's that these mean almost nothing. The games mentioned above are a great example: sales stayed level or even declined as the install base grew. And there's never been a major difference between games sold at different points in a system's life: a game launched when a system has a 100m install base certainly doesn't sell 100 times more than one launched when it had a 1m install base. There's almost no correlation at all on a system with a growing userbase.

Not that I'm saying any of this means MGS4 will outsell GeoW2. I don't think it's at all obvious which is going to sell more, and I wouldn't want to try to call it. The only bet I'd be willing to take is that MGS4 will do better than MGS3.

I agree

Gears 2, forsure.

Why is it everyone who is saying MGS4 has a Anime or final fantasy character?

I don't know... i just picked that up for some reason.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Well, the people have spoken and approximately 2/3 of you people think that Gears 2 will sell better than MGS4. I must admit I started this thread thinking and predicting MGS4 would sell more. But after reading some of the more educated arguments I've changed my mind specificaly after PDF pointed out that this game nearly targets the whole 360 demographic.

As a fan I'm still rooting for MGS4 but I think that at this point in time we can deduct that Gears 2 will have greater sales.

Around the Network

I think it's going to depend on what competition GoW2 has on Xbox360 for Chrismas.

MGS4 will have little competition when it comes out, GoW2 could have more competition, we don't really know yet what chrismas line up will be....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I am looking foward to both of these games, but I would say that GOW2 will sell more WW than MGS4.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

MGS4 of course but gears 2 will be a very good game. I hope MGS4 will win

I think MGS 4, it always sells a million a japan (not exactly a milion but like 940k) And Gears 2 will do just about 100 k in Japan, and MGS 4 is popular in Europe, and gears? I don't know. But it will be close, Gears 1 sold 5 million and mgs2 7 mill and mgs3 sold like 5 million.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

I'm bumping this topic again to see if anyone changed their mind. I'm looking at that bundle.