By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - X just got a massive downgrade graphically speaking

The only reason people think there's a downgrade is because we never saw characters up close in previous footage.

The Treehouse footage shows that environmental scale and detail have not been pared back at all.

Around the Network

the first thing that come to my mind when I saw the trailer, wow this is so lifeless.

curl-6 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
curl-6 said:

It's not just the generations gap though, it's also DX10/11 vs DX9.

True, but I dont think the GPUs base power is good enough to take advantage of that to a noticable degree. The  latest PC games use DX11 for tuly impressive effects like instanced vegetation, insane particle effects and tesselation. Titles like Metro Last Light come to mind, truly mind blowing stuff on display. These "true" Direct X11 effects need serious  power. 

I say this because my old 5670HD used to run Dirt2 at around 30fps(720p) in DX11 mode and that card has a decent performance boost over the Us rumoured 5550. Furthermore Dirt 2 is a 2009 DirectX11 game, the new stuff wont be as forgiving. DX11 is very demanding. My 7870HD which usually runs most games at 1080p60 was stuck at 28-29 fps with the Unreal Engine Elemental Demo. That demo is basically the first real use of DX11 as far as Im concerned. If Uncharted 4 and The Order are anything to go by that will be the new AAA standard and I dont see Wii U games achieving that in 720p.

Nintendo is smart to stick with a stylized art style, because then they can use subtle DX11 effects like geometry instancimg (blades of grass), cell shading and bloom to make Zelda U shine over obvious technical limitations. I know you probably wont believe me but a cell shaded Skyrim with bloom would look very close to Zelda. Again, I refer to Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead which run on the same engine.

I feel I should point out that I am not in the same camp as Zero999. I'm not saying Wii U is closer in power to PS4 than PS3 or anything. I'm not saying it could do Uncharted 4 at 720p.

I simply believe it has the capacity to represent the same kind of improvement over PS3/360 that say, Wii did over PS2, or 3DS did over PSP.

I agree with this and always have. To me it's just as silly to claim Wii U is inferior to PS3/360 as saying it is just as powerful or really close to PS4/X1. But people keep making these statements which is why the debate goes on. I personally think its like the Wii over PS2 improvement you said, but I guess that's not "extreme" enough for some. It has to be either one end of the spectrum...competing with the best console tech or crappier than last gen! Just silly.

curl-6 said:

I feel I should point out that I am not in the same camp as Zero999. I'm not saying Wii U is closer in power to PS4 than PS3 or anything. I'm not saying it could do Uncharted 4 at 720p.

I simply believe it has the capacity to represent the same kind of improvement over PS3/360 that say, Wii did over PS2, or 3DS did over PSP.

Thats correct, Im basically saying the same thing. The Wii U will have advantages over the 7th gen, they are already showing largely in terms of sheer scale. Like the PS2 -Wii and 3DS - PSP there will be subtle graphical enhancements. Choosing the right art style as with Zelda is also a smart move. A realistic Zelda would be compared to something like the Witcher 3 and thats an uphill battle.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

So it turns out we're all on the same page after all. XD

It's a shame extremists on both sides skew the debate.

Around the Network

The character and enemy models look shit, but otherwise it looks nice. It's actually surprising to me how bad the character models can be while other aspects look okay. Anyway you'll be looking at the environments most of the game not a close up of the face of your character so it's fine.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Zero999 said:

bolded: except formario kart 8, mario 3d world, pikmin 3, nintendoland, bayonetta 2, Xenoblade, ZELDA. .. even hyrule warriors, wich is a mix with DW, a series with really bad graphics.

bolded 2: I can argue that mario kart 8 does much more and much better.

You could and Id say it doesn't and we'd go on for eternity. I own Mario Kart and since I play it on my gaming monitor (24 LED) I see everything up close and theres no wowser look at that OMG next gen moments (tech). Just oh thats pretty, oh I like the water moments (art).

I play Pikmin 3 on the same setup (free game) and its the same thing, instead of Forza I say LBP2. Its a pretty game but not out of reach of 7th gen hardware in the slightest.

Bayonetta 2 == DMC4 with scale.

Zelda == cell shaded Skyrim, if you dont belive me play skyrim or watch videos and imagine it cell shaded and with bloom. Or take a look at my Team Fortress to Left 4 Dead shot,a naive person would say TF2 has better tech and yet its older and technically inferior to L4D.

If you are even trying to downplay zelda for wii u, this conversation is over.

Looking at recent footage it doesn't seem to have been downgraded at all, it just has really (really really really) bad character models :p

The environments are still fine. Nothing mind blowing, but still worthy of praise.

It looks good, sure. But there has been some downgrading. Then again better they do it now, than having fans discover this on release day.

Maybe it's just me but I actually think the environments and such look better, while the character models haven't really been seen up close until now.