By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U: The Zelda title the Wii U deserves, but not the one it needs?

Why do people keep saying that zelda sells or not because of the artstyle?

Around the Network
Zero999 said:

Because there's a large portion of gamers who are put off by what they percieve as "childish" art styles.

VanceIX said:

This looks like an HD Skyward Sword. That's what Zelda fans have been asking for?

It looks good, but nothing new. A dark, gritty Zelda like Twilight Princess would do better financially as it would show people that the Wii U has power and can do realistic games.

No one is aaking for photorealistic, but what they showed at E3, even slightly downgraded, would have lit the internet on fire by now.

bolded: no, it doesn't. HD is just resolution. if anything, Zelda U looks like a mix of what's the best in WW, TP and SS, while being made in super high polygon, high texture, high everything. AND it's in HD.

bolded 2: Zelda U is litting the internet. most people loved it.

curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:

Because there's a large portion of gamers who are put off by what they percieve as "childish" art styles.

It's honestly EXACTLY what I wanted. Link looks young in the pic, Huge open World, I wanted an anime art style (which I think fits The Legend Of Zelda perfectly).I'm freaking happy!

Raze said:

I really hope cell-shaded Link is a temporary model holder. I am DONE with cel shading, I loathe it more than peas, and I can't f**king stand peas. 

When 3rd party zombi-U can do realistic character models, there's no excuse for a lack of HD Link.

bolded: ????? do you know what HD is?

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:

It's honestly EXACTLY what I wanted. Link looks young in the pic, Huge open World, I wanted an anime art style (which I think fits The Legend Of Zelda perfectly).I'm freaking happy!

I'm glad you're happy. I like it myself.

But let's be real; there are people out there who will be put off by it not looking like the tech demo.

Soundwave said:
It is what it is. I personally liked the fluidity of the animation, reminded me of a Ralph Bakshi cartoon.

That said for commercial purposes it's undeniable that the non-cartooney 3D Zeldas with a grown up Link have simply sold a lot better than the two than were cartoony (Wind Waker and Skyward Sword) and that's fairly hard to dispute.

At this point I'm just going to enjoy my Wii U. I know it's not going to sell 20 million+, if even that, but there's some good games and I give Nintendo some points for at least trying some surprising things like Spaltoon and funding Devil's Third.

skyward sword is not cartoony. and you are saying the others sold better because of how they looked, based on nothing. You completely ignored what oot was on the N64, jumping to 3d. and skyward sword as a launch title for the vastly sucessfull wii. you also ignore that SS required motion plus, limiting the userbase. and wind waker sold a lot, 4.6kk on a 21 million base.

VanceIX said:
Mystro-Sama said:
I'm pretty sure it both needs and deserves this lol

Don't get me wrong, it needs a Zelda title, any Zelda title really.

It's just that a realistic Zelda would move a lot more Wii U units than a cartoon one, that's just given, and the Wii U needs as much help as it can possibly get.

bolded: no, it's not a given because there was never a realistic zelda. it's also an empty comparison because Zelda U is not cartoony.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:

I'm glad you're happy. I like it myself.

But let's be real; there are people out there who will be put off my it not looking like the tech demo.

The are people like that sure but I don't think I agree that it'll affect the game's sales as much like people think.

Same shit different gen. Show a great tech demo then pull the okey doke and bust out a lame anime cel-shaded 'creative' artstyle. Smh, Why can't the Zelda team, with Aonuma at its helm, deliver what the majority of fans are yearning for?

The proof is in the pudding, Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda since OoT, SS was a sale flop, WWHD is a non factor for Wii U momentum.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Its like going to an ice cream shop because outside there is a banner that shows a vanilla ice cream cone, you walk in and the owner tells you, well we wanted to try something different, here's butter pecan sorbet. Wtf?

Tbh, though, after SS why would people be excited about Zelda again? The game was terrible.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.