By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Follows Suit: Discontinues HD-DVD Add-On

Fonzerelli said:
Do we need the HD-DVD player to upscale dvd's, i thought the x360 upscaled dvd's natively.

The 360 sucks at the upscale part, but i'm not sure about the HD-DVD part though.  I know the PS3 is really great with the upscale function, it matches and exceeds most high end DVD upscalers.

Around the Network

You would think everyone would know that the HD format war is over but I've talked to several people who were surprised at the news.

halil23 said:
kingofwale said:
*sighs*, I was just helping some poor kid buying a HD-DVD player Add on today. 130 dollars, Sorry lad.

Well, you should've warned him.

Then he wouldn't have had a great story to tell everyone.  Saying "I saw someone screwed by company X" plays much better than "I saved someone from being screwed by company X".

*Waits to see 360 HD-DVD Add-on landfill next to E.T. landfill*

Sony will prevail. My 60 gig says so.

PlayStation 3 Games:

- Rock Band
- Rock Band 2
- Soulcalibur IV
- LittleBigPlanet
- Guitar Hero: World Tour

Legend11 said:
halil23 said:
kingofwale said:
*sighs*, I was just helping some poor kid buying a HD-DVD player Add on today. 130 dollars, Sorry lad.

Well, you should've warned him.

Then he wouldn't have had a great story to tell everyone. Saying "I saw someone screwed by company X" plays much better than "I saved someone from being screwed by company X".

If he asked me about it, then I'd say something, but he just asked me if we carry it and I helped him process the sale.

But in my defense, I did go and find a 5 Free HD-DVD mail-in offer for him, so he won't be TOO mad. ;) 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

finally a good descision from MS.

LordTheNightKnight said:
BottledSpringWater said:
@ kingofwales: Maybe that kid can return it for full refund? Actually it's the kid's own damn fault for buying one!
Damn it must have suck for those people who bought that piece of junk.

Because it isn't possible to enjoy what movies there are. It has magically stopped working now. [/sarcasm]

Come on. Don't you realize all these HD-DVD players can still be used as a way for the wary to get into HD, with less risk, and that if they do like it, they will likely get into the formats still available?

Again, the drive can be a way to hook people on to HD with them being confident they aren't putting up too much money in case they don't like it. If they do, they would most definately hop onto Blu-Ray/Digital Distribution/etc.

I question your reasoning of buying into a format with no future.  That would be like me recommending someone buy a minidisc player for portable music.  If they like that, then they can switch to an MP3 player.  Granted, HD-DVD players are cheaper, but I still think it's stupid to even recommend it in any way.

One day these will be collector items.

Yea, like how people are clawing their way over LaserDisc and Betmax machines today!

Now if they would just discontinue to the 360... I kid, I kid! ;)

This isn't too much of a surprise.  As I just said in another post:

"I'll be sticking with regular old DVD and my upconvert player.

I don't think we'll see MS bring out a Bluray drive for the 360. The whole reason for the HD DVD one was to slow down the adoption of the formats while MS put together their downloadable media plan. Now that is in place, they'll declare discs dead and push that agenda heavily."

In fact, MS said the same thing themselves: "HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own."

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer