By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Follows Suit: Discontinues HD-DVD Add-On

No surprise here.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I was at Harvey Norman yesterday and they are selling HD DVD players for $199 au ---- As an upscaled dvd player.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

bobobologna said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
BottledSpringWater said:
@ kingofwales: Maybe that kid can return it for full refund? Actually it's the kid's own damn fault for buying one!
Damn it must have suck for those people who bought that piece of junk.

Because it isn't possible to enjoy what movies there are. It has magically stopped working now. [/sarcasm]

Come on. Don't you realize all these HD-DVD players can still be used as a way for the wary to get into HD, with less risk, and that if they do like it, they will likely get into the formats still available?

Again, the drive can be a way to hook people on to HD with them being confident they aren't putting up too much money in case they don't like it. If they do, they would most definately hop onto Blu-Ray/Digital Distribution/etc.

I question your reasoning of buying into a format with no future.

No future is NOT a valid argument to not buy a product based on what is ALREADY available for it. The PS2 still sells. Even the Gamecube sells a few hundred units a week. Those are being bought for what games they have, not for bullshit idea that future products are needed to make something magically worth buying.

That would be like me recommending someone buy a minidisc player for portable music. If they like that, then they can switch to an MP3 player.

Wow. I had no idea that portable music was not part of the mainstream, and that the average consumer needed a lower cost (meaning lower risk) product to buy it. Oh, wait. Portable music has been mainstream since boom boxes and the Walkman.

Granted, HD-DVD players are cheaper, but I still think it's stupid to even recommend it in any way.

You thinking it's stupid is invalidated by your faulty points. It just looks as though you don't want anyone to buy HD-DVD ever. It doesn't work that way. You're not saving people's money. You're trying to deny them the chance to spend it in a way you decided they shouldn't.

Well screw you. If people want to try HD, and HD-DVD is a cheaper way to try it than Blu-Ray, at least for now, then to deny them that chance just proves you hate HD-DVD more than you really care about HD adoption.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

kingofwale said:
*sighs*, I was just helping some poor kid buying a HD-DVD player Add on today. 130 dollars, Sorry lad.

LOL days after the announcement? Don't you work at Best Buy? Surely you would've heard HD DVD was discontinued, if not as a BB employee than you would've heard about it here? Were you just trying to unload players before they were massively discounted or were you just being a jerk to this guy?

No, I don't hate HD-DVD. But I would never recommend an HD-DVD player to a friend or family members. There's no point in investing any money in an HD-DVD player and HD-DVD movies when those movies will most certainly be released for Bluray now that the war is over. Hell, even if you gave me a FREE HD-DVD player, I wouldn't use it. I would just try selling it for cash for Bluray movies. Why? So I don't have 2 seperate players for 2 seperate movie formats when using just one format will do.

It's stupid to waste money to "try" HD out. Especially if you are going to have to buy another device if you want to continue purchasing HD movies.

Around the Network

"when those movies will most certainly be released for Bluray now that the war is over."

That could take months. The HD-DVD movies are available now. Don't tell me that isn't a factor here.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Now you can get a HDDVD add-on for only $65 on Amazon.com

I don't know if it's worth it though

ill buy one when there 19.99 :D

Edit: actually my bad, 19.95   < the 95 cents means its dicontinued :D