By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Mario Kart 8 needs in the next patch

Put the minimap on the TV screen!
Display race times.
Decrease the chance the Coin item appears.

And I don't know if this has happened to you guys, but I've seen second placed guys get a star (not with the lucky eight) and I whilst being in eight get a banana, lol. Fix this :(

Around the Network
cycycychris said:

So this game is nearly perfect. I'm basicly nit picking a couple things that will make this game perfect.

1. They need to fix the connection issue people are facing in the online(I have faced those same isssues).
2. The 3 race idea is nice, but they need to fix the problem that it repeats races and never gives a variety. I have never seen some of the races so far on the online. They have kind of picked 12 races and cycle them through the online. but there the same 12 everytime.
3. I guess this maybe more of a  free DLC but they need to right there wrong and put in battle arenas.
4. 5 player option.
5. Show race times!(edit)

Those are the only problems I can think of. Anyone else have a request?

1. Agreed.

2. This has not been my experience, I have had plenty of stage variety. Also, I definitely prefer the current system over Mario Kart 7's where some players would spam the same course even after it had been selected.

3. I would welcome this as well. Though I would probably stay away even from a classic battle mode given how entertaning the standard races are.

4. Even playing with three players made them force 30 fps. If playing with 5 players at once was possible it would have been available at launch.

5. I fail to see the purpose, but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

As for fire hopping, I am indifferent. 

Uddermode said:

People complaining about the coin need to stop. The coin gives you a speed boost and if you really need an item to feel safe in first I feel sorry for you. If anything they should at least make it so that you can't get a coin when you not in first because then the coin doesn't help much. Also every time I get a mushroom the people in front of me get 3, like what's up with that. The items need a better randomizer or whatever its called.

I'm okay with sometimes getting bad items at lower places, but I agree that giving the leading racer coins was a good idea. As well as only being able to carry one item at a time.

Definitely no patch in order.

-Option to choose auto drifting like in wii version
-Option to show map, playing on gamepad only
-A victory ceremony :)
-fix online connection issues
-An optional day and night cycle like in Animal Crossing

Showing race times is the most important thing to me. :/

Around the Network

Never had connection issues but:

horizontal split screen please

display times after each race

real arenas.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Map on the screen is important. While splitting it up works in more leisurely games like Monster Hunter or Pikmin, you absolutely cannot afford to look away from the screen like that in Mario Kart, not when knowing who's behind you and, perhaps, what they have is of critical importance (also telegraphs the blue shell well in advance, enough time, perhaps, to have it switch targets...)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Map on the screen is important. While splitting it up works in more leisurely games like Monster Hunter or Pikmin, you absolutely cannot afford to look away from the screen like that in Mario Kart, not when knowing who's behind you and, perhaps, what they have is of critical importance (also telegraphs the blue shell well in advance, enough time, perhaps, to have it switch targets...)

I actually liked the map off screen. Forced me to learn the maps very well and since I don't use the game pad to play its not that hard to look off screen if I'm really curious (put the gamepad right under the tv). Takes more skill to have to deal with the unexpected in a pinch.

episteme said:
- fix connection issues
- disable fire hopping and reset the time trial lists (will make some people mad, but better sooner than later)
- decrease the chance to get the coin item (as long as it doesn't overpower the first place)
- more options in MKTV (better angles for Luigi's face)
- course map on the main screen
- add GameCube controller support for those who prefer wired controllers (when the adapter releases)

How do you know they're not already supported :P

Mr Khan said:

I liked it, it added an element of risk, like in real life taking your eyes off the road for a sec to check the mirror.