By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 & Wii U duking it out. End of 2K14 sales prediction Thread.

Kaizar said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Twilord said:
Max King of the Wild said:

I hope this is a joke. Wii U will sell just as much as Ps4? Come on. 

2014 is gonna suck for PS4 in terms of reasons to switch gens if Sony don't keep hitting high-notes. As long as Nintendo don't bollocks anything this is definitely there year.

if the Wii U sells 1.9 million then the PS4 for the rest of the year, somehow, then Twilord is right.

When did the PS4 get discontinued? I might have to make a thread about this.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
zorg1000 said:
Kaizar said:
zorg1000 said:

What about Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Battlefield: Hardline, FIFA 2015? These are all games that will sell PS4 later in the year.

those IPs came out last year, so I don't see that much of a boost this year.

except for the fact that those ip gave PS3/360 boosts each and every year,

People can already play those IPs on their PS3/360, and most people who would want to buy a PS4/ONE to play these games, already bought a PS4/ONE.

those ip also all released weeks ahead of time on PS3/360, this year these games will sell alot more and will boost PS4/One sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Twilord said:
Twilord said:
PS4 12 Million ~ Wii-U 10 Million ~ Xbox 8 Million

2014 is gonna suck for PS4 in terms of reasons to switch gens if Sony don't keep hitting high-notes. As long as Nintendo don't bollocks anything this is definitely there year.

LMAO no just no. The sheer amount of games in the fall ps4 will sell a tonne. What planet do you live on where people only care about exclusives? Multiplats are always the biuggest driver in the industry bud, also, e3 is around the corner. Cannot believe some nintendo fans think wii-u will outsell ps4 still, after 1 week, in a month wii-u will be below 50 k a week.

Wii-u has nothing to suatain its sales, sony does with big developer support.

TheBoneCollector said:
Twilord said:
Twilord said:
PS4 12 Million ~ Wii-U 10 Million ~ Xbox 8 Million

LMAO no just no. The sheer amount of games in the fall ps4 will sell a tonne. What planet do you live on where people only care about exclusives? Multiplats are always the biuggest driver in the industry bud, also, e3 is around the corner. Cannot believe some nintendo fans think wii-u will outsell ps4 still, after 1 week, in a month wii-u will be below 50 k a week.

Wii-u has nothing to suatain its sales, sony does with big developer support.

The Wii-U has Mario Kart and Smash Bros - THIS YEAR. Those are traditionally two of the most important titles of any generation for almost any Nintendo fan or multi-console owner. I'm not saying the PS4 is gonna do shitty, I'm saying that the Wii-U is about to have its most badass year while the PS4 is probably gonna have its best year next year. 

Multiplatform titles are obviously very important, but they're gonna mean FAR less for system sales when they're also available on last gen consoles after the hype settles and people can finally take a good look at the newborn twins. I suspect the PS4 will still sell alot but don't under-estimate the sales power of what Nintendo is offering - lets assume Mario Kart only sells 2 million Wii-U's over the year (despite the outrageous deal on offer and the game's history of spreading by word of mouth); lets assume that Smash Bros can only pull off the same despite its new-found willingness to work for and with its insanely dedicated fanbase; that still leaves any combination of X, Bayonetta, Yarn Yoshi, FExSMT, Sonic Boom, Hyrule Warriors AND general sales to carry it for another 2 million. 

As you can tell by my mathes here, I was being pretty god-damned restrained with my estimates. Especially when you consider that in order to sell that ammount the PS4 would need to maintain the high it has gotten from the uber-hyped Watch_Dogs, which is FAAAR more likely to only last the week you predicted.

Twilord said:

The Wii-U has Mario Kart and Smash Bros - THIS YEAR. Those are traditionally two of the most important titles of any generation for almost any Nintendo fan or multi-console owner. I'm not saying the PS4 is gonna do shitty, I'm saying that the Wii-U is about to have its most badass year while the PS4 is probably gonna have its best year next year. 

Multiplatform titles are obviously very important, but they're gonna mean FAR less for system sales when they're also available on last gen consoles after the hype settles and people can finally take a good look at the newborn twins. I suspect the PS4 will still sell alot but don't under-estimate the sales power of what Nintendo is offering - lets assume Mario Kart only sells 2 million Wii-U's over the year (despite the outrageous deal on offer and the game's history of spreading by word of mouth); lets assume that Smash Bros can only pull off the same despite its new-found willingness to work for and with its insanely dedicated fanbase; that still leaves any combination of X, Bayonetta, Yarn Yoshi, FExSMT, Sonic Boom, Hyrule Warriors AND general sales to carry it for another 2 million. 

As you can tell by my mathes here, I was being pretty god-damned restrained with my estimates. Especially when you consider that in order to sell that ammount the PS4 would need to maintain the high it has gotten from the uber-hyped Watch_Dogs, which is FAAAR more likely to only last the week you predicted.

The PS4 outsells all other consoles globally on its base alone. Everytime it gets a multiplat, it gets a boost significant enough to counter the Wii U's arguably biggest game. 

Just because MK8 is succesful, Nintendo fans now think that their games will save them. Basic Pattern recognition tells you that only one of those games you listed will come close to outselling 3DWorld let alone catching up to MK8.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

PS4 12 Million
Wii U 8 Million
Xbox One 7.5 Million

awesomeabe1998 said:
Wow at how loyal some of these users are to their console of choice.

At the end of 2014

Wii U: 12-14 million

Indeed.

Your avatar says WiiUPlaystation, but you really expect the Wii U to get six million sales in half a year when it's taken Nintendo a year and a half to get 6.4m?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Twilord said:

The PS4 outsells all other consoles globally on its base alone. Everytime it gets a multiplat, it gets a boost significant enough to counter the Wii U's arguably biggest game. 

Just because MK8 is succesful, Nintendo fans now think that their games will save them. Basic Pattern recognition tells you that only one of those games you listed will come close to outselling 3DWorld let alone catching up to MK8.

You're right that only Smash Bros will be the only one to come close to Mario Kart on its own (though I think its much more passionate fanbase garauntee that if Mario Kart only get the 2 million consoles sold in the worst case scenario that Smash Bros will out perform it). Also, I'm using the example of how the Wii-U sold last year (around three million) and suggesting it would only sell 2 million between all the other titles slated for next year. I'm being very restrained here with the Wii-U and being very generous to the PS4 at the same time.

Your logic basically amounts to the idea that since the PS4 is outselling the Wii-U up until now the PS4 will always outsell the Wii-U. There is probably some latin debate fallacy term that explains why that is utter nonsense and a variation of trying to presume the relative charting of two figures is a constant thanks to apophenia born from an insufficient sample size but I'm afraid I don't know it, so could someone please tell me it for use later if this debate continues any longer than it needs to? Trying to articulate that point is a chore.

Twilord said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

You're right that only Smash Bros will be the only one to come close to Mario Kart on its own (though I think its much more passionate fanbase garauntee that if Mario Kart only get the 2 million consoles sold in the worst case scenario that Smash Bros will out perform it). Also, I'm using the example of how the Wii-U sold last year (around three million) and suggesting it would only sell 2 million between all the other titles slated for next year. I'm being very restrained here with the Wii-U and being very generous to the PS4 at the same time.

Your logic basically amounts to the idea that since the PS4 is outselling the Wii-U up until now the PS4 will always outsell the Wii-U. There is probably some latin debate fallacy term that explains why that is utter nonsense and a variation of trying to presume the relative charting of two figures is a constant thanks to apophenia born from an insufficient sample size but I'm afraid I don't know it.

Whether or not the WIi U will suddenly outsell the PS4, or vice versa is irrelevant. Fact is, there is no reason to think that the PS4's sales will slow while the Wii U's will increase, especially when you consider the age, 3rd party suppport, and popular appeals of the consoles. 3.7 million in 6 months versus 1 million in 6 months. Even selling twice that the remaining 6 months for a total of 3 mil ytd, it will have yet to pass the benchmark set by the PS4 up till now, let alone the remaining 6 months the PS4 has.

I.e. thats 12 months(being generous here) of Wii U failing to outsell 6 months of PS4. This is even assuming the PS4 dropped off the face of the planet this month and stopped sellling entirely. Even for the sake of argument, if XB1 followed this hypothetical wii U path and sold 4.5 million consoles this ytd, outselling the PS4's current total by about 0.8 milliion, that still leaves a global gap of half a million between the 2.

This is even if the PS4 sold 0 units between now and January 1st. There is even less justification for this then their is that the Wii U sales will increase significantly. And yet the PS4 selling poorly is a prime factor in these "calculations".

The PS4 was predicted to fail prior to release. What makes you think that now makes it any more likely to happen?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Twilord said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Your logic basically amounts to the idea that since the PS4 is outselling the Wii-U up until now the PS4 will always outsell the Wii-U. There is probably some latin debate fallacy term that explains why that is utter nonsense and a variation of trying to presume the relative charting of two figures is a constant thanks to apophenia born from an insufficient sample size but I'm afraid I don't know it.

Whether or not the WIi U will suddenly outsell the PS4, or vice versa is irrelevant. Fact is, there is no reason to think that the PS4's sales will slow while the Wii U's will increase, especially when you consider the age, 3rd party suppport, and popular appeals of the consoles. 3.7 million in 6 months versus 1 million in 6 months. Even selling twice that the remaining 6 months for a total of 3 mil ytd, it will have yet to pass the benchmark set by the PS4 up till now, let alone the remaining 6 months the PS4 has.

I.e. thats 12 months(being generous here) of Wii U failing to outsell 6 months of PS4. This is even assuming the PS4 dropped off the face of the planet this month and stopped sellling entirely. Even for the sake of argument, if XB1 followed this hypothetical wii U path and sold 4.5 million consoles this ytd, outselling the PS4's current total by about 0.8 milliion, that still leaves a global gap of half a million between the 2.

This is even if the PS4 sold 0 units between now and January 1st. There is even less justification for this then their is that the Wii U sales will increase significantly. And yet the PS4 selling poorly is a prime factor in these "calculations".

The PS4 was predicted to fail prior to release. What makes you think that now makes it any more likely to happen?

Ah, that makes more sense! So now we're getting somewhere!

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Whether or not the WIi U will suddenly outsell the PS4, or vice versa is irrelevant. Fact is, there is no reason to think that the PS4's sales will slow while the Wii U's will increase.

Hype can fade, which would hurt the PS4 sales; exclusives stack up, which will help the Wii-U most this year.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

especially when you consider the age, 3rd party suppport, and popular appeals of the consoles. 

The age is sorta irrelevant compared to what games are on the console; I'll give you third parties but right now much of their stuff is still available on last generation. Also the "popular appeal" is great and all, but when hype fades thats not gonna matter as much - I'll grant you its pretty damn awesome Sony have worked their hype so well and that the PS4 will dominate 2015, but "popular appeal" is subjective and extremely malleable with the right titles, not something that gets built into a console.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

3.7 million in 6 months versus 1 million in 6 months. Even selling twice that the remaining 6 months for a total of 3 mil ytd, it will have yet to pass the benchmark set by the PS4 up till now, let alone the remaining 6 months the PS4 has.

The Wii-U sold that with all of one game this year. Donkey Kong was never gonna be a real system seller despite Nintendo's misguided beliefs (I own a Wii-U and didn't bother with it), what they have scheduled for the rest of this year however is a damn promising line-up. Again its a matter of having the right games.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

My caculation puts both the Wii-U and PS4 as selling the same amount (well nearly) from now on... admittedly the more math I think on it the more I feel like I might have under-estimated the Wii-U by too much and even underestimate the PS4 a little but still.

I'll let you have a say on whether I post a new estimate or not.

Which makes more sense to you, A or B.

A. 10 Million Wii-U and 12 Million PS4.

B. 12 Million Wii-U and 13 Million PS4.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Who the hell said the PS4 would fail? I said that its first year after its launch isn't going to be its strongest and that the Wii-U is looking damn sweet this year. You've seen the "Who Will Win E3" thread I made; check the votes if you don't think Nintendo is set to actually start making this year count! 

Just because I think I'm being generous by saying the PS4 will also pull off four million more (in half a year) than its current sales doesn't I'm discounting it as a console. Though it does explain why people seem to be getting so aggressive.