By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Fifa World Cup 2014: Winner?

Who will win the World Cup?

Brazil 71 29.71%

Italy 12 5.02%

Germany 39 16.32%

Uruguay 7 2.93%

Argentina 31 12.97%

England 11 4.60%

France 3 1.26%

Spain 28 11.72%

Other, please comment 37 15.48%

Total:239
BraLoD said:
Chris Hu said:
BraLoD said:
Seems like Brazil is the clear favorite around here.
But that will be really hard.

Well at least they have home country advantage.  Even if they don't win it all they should do very good.  Plus there should be a metal spike for Brazil in the Summer Olympics in two years.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this sentence, what does that mean? That the world cup will be like a base to the olympics?

Usually there is a metal spike for the host country  like it was for Russia in this years Winter Olymics and the UK in the 2012 Summer Olymics.  Not sure that it will be a huge spike over the 17 won by Brazilian athletes in the 2012 games but at least 5 more is probably more then doable.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
BraLoD said:
Chris Hu said:
BraLoD said:
Seems like Brazil is the clear favorite around here.
But that will be really hard.

Well at least they have home country advantage.  Even if they don't win it all they should do very good.  Plus there should be a metal spike for Brazil in the Summer Olympics in two years.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this sentence, what does that mean? That the world cup will be like a base to the olympics?

Usually there is a metal spike for the host country  like it was for Russia in this years Winter Olymics and the UK in the 2012 Summer Olymics.  Not sure that it will be a huge spike over the 17 won by Brazilian athletes in the 2012 games but at least 5 more is probably more then doable.

Oh, you are refering to the medals? Well, I just don't know either.
Brazil is like a one sport only country, even getting the likes for fighting, volleyball, basketball and some others, football is the only big money mover around here, and the only with a decent coverage to the people (well, fighting recently raised here), so it really outshine any other sports around here and general people just get interested into football.
Also, the poor and totally rotten government just don't invest in anything and sports are no different. So I doubt Brazil will do good in the olympics.
Even the brazillian people being a very supporting people and probably will help a lot in the event, Brazil just don't have the quality necessary to do a jump into the medal rank just because the event is hosted here this time.
I, being a brazillian, think Brazil will just get embarassed by doing poorly again in the olympics, and now in our own territory, with the results and the event itself, as like the world cup, it's just a great time to the corrupts around here take more money away from the country to their personal accounts and let the work halfway done and call it made, it's the "jeitinho brasileiro" (brazillian way). Just look to the world cup and you will know what I'm taking about, that will be a disaster (the event itself, not the games).

Germany.

Well that is probably true but there is always a lot of corruption surronding all big time internation sporting events no matter where they are held.  Still glad that South America finally got the Summer Olympics since Buneos Aires got snubbed more then a couple of times.

Chris Hu said:

Well that is probably true but there is always a lot of corruption surronding all big time internation sporting events no matter where they are held.  Still glad that South America finally got the Summer Olympics since Buneos Aires got snubbed more then a couple of times.

Well, the world cup was said to cost around 10 billion to be made.
It's said that already it's over 36 billion, and NOTHING is really done, the stadiums are decent to the games, but even their surroundings are halfway done, not to say the most important part that were to left a good legacy to the cities there were airports, metros, and general work to help the city structure to flow way better was just nothing even really made.
360% of the initial cost (that were already the biggest in the world cup history) to nothing, into a poor country that people are stupid, that sells itself to the others countrys and lives on peoples taxes that are about 30% of the GDP... and some people wonder why the world cup will be target of massive protests by the brazillian people, as was the confederations cup.
Also, if you want to join the protest, to fight for a better life and the end of the general robbery and abuse that people are victims from every way, during the world cup, you may get arrested as a terrorist and get in jail for 30 years, basically, try to make your voice heard for a better country and spend your life in the jail as a cold blooded terrorist... heh, I'm getting off the target, sorry.
People here aren't happy with the olympics being held here, I wish Argetina had won the right to do it.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Germany.

Germany is probably the best team of this world cup, but tends to lose to Spain and Brazil. Well, if it wasn't held in Brazil I would also choose Germany.

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be the most expensive sporting event of the first half of this century (estimated final cost is $220 billion) they are already way over budget and are planning to have less venues 8 or 9 instead of the orginal 12 and smaller venues and they really haven't started any of the construction yet.

Chris Hu said:

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be the most expensive sporting event of the first half of this century (estimated final cost is $220 billion) they are already way over budget and are planning to have less venues 8 or 9 instead of the orginal 12 and smaller venues and they really haven't started any of the construction yet.

Yeah but, Qatar can easily affford it...

Uruguay of course!!

Ka-pi96 said:
Chris Hu said:

Yeah but, Qatar can easily affford it...

True but so far its a disaster its still not certain that it actually take place there they might change venues in hindsight they should have given it to the USA again. The USA already has more then enough venues that are up to par and the climate would not be a issue either.