By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Wii will reach 45m this year" ban bet. Why did only one poster take it?

I have a Gamepro account with the exact same user name as this, lol. Well I could just spend more time on Gamepro enjoying the one month vacation if it does occur.
Anyway Nintendo is struggling to produce enough consoles so anywhere between 40 million to 45 million would be an estimate for sales at end of the year.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
I have a Gamepro account with the exact same user name as this, lol. Well I could just spend more time on Gamepro enjoying the one month vacation if it does occur.
Anyway Nintendo is struggling to produce enough consoles so anywhere between 40 million to 45 million would be an estimate for sales at end of the year.

Well from April onwards I expect a massive production increase. Nintendo's financial year ends in April, they made, or even slightly surpassed, their sales projections and will announce new, higher sales projections for the coming Quarter, make those, raise production again, etc....

It's been like this in 2007 and will continue this year.

45 million bet is no different from tossing-a-dice bet. What's the point?

Get JL here and I will bet 1 year ban for his 500 million Wii LT bet.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

This bet is way too plausible, with the utmost certainty, Wii will hit 45 mil.

Like KoW said, I'd make a ban bet for a month with JL for that 500 mil lifetime sales of the Wii. That would be a lot more fun.

Considering that it reached 20 million by this year, and the trend for consoles is to increase sales each year, 45 million is hardly unreasonable, especially after we had John Lucas come withing a margin of error in his totally scoffed at prediction that Wii would reach 20 million last year. He basically set the bar at 60 million for this year, even if you thought john Lucas was over estimating, 50 million would be a safe bet, 45 is almost guaranteed when you look at past performance.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
45 million bet is no different from tossing-a-dice bet. What's the point?

Get JL here and I will bet 1 year ban for his 500 million Wii LT bet.

I've seen many people saying Wii won't sell much this year (MGS4, GTA4, recession, Nintendo won't increase production, the list goes on). Some people even say demand will drop significantly when some of those things happen. This bet was mostly a way to probe how many people believed it enough to risk something. BTW if you see above, you'll see where the 45m number comes from.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It's a weak bet, NJ5. It's like betting against the PS3 selling 18m units this year. 45m will be sold with ease. 50m seems likely to me.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

@kingofwale: If you think it's like tossing a coin, I can give you 2:1 odds (2 months ban for me vs 1 month ban for you, or 1 month vs 15 days). Does that seem more attractive? :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Ban bets seem masochistic to me... If I loose, I am hurt with a ban... If I win, I don't gain anything, and I don't really want to see someone else banned... Now if there is someone who really annoys me it might be interesting, but generally I just find people I disagree with as funny and so I would miss their entertaining posts. lol