By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - E3 2014 aka Nintendo's final chance to Wii U success.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Maniac said:
There isn't a "hardcore" market for Wii U, period. I agree, it's going to be pretty difficult for Nintendo to jump back into the game with repetitive titles, inferior hardware, and a terrible lack of supporting third party developers. They just need some really convincing titles that fans actually want that aren't just rehashes of classic Nintendo.

Ah, yes. Nintendo with their repetitive titles.

In stark contrast to their competitors who keep creating new IPs like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Battlefield, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Halo, Fifa and Resident Evil only to let them be replaced with other new IPs to keep things fresh.

Out of all those only 2 are exclusives.  The rest 3rd party..  Those are EA,  activision, ubisoft etc.  Not microsoft and sony.  The difference is that these publishers are platform creators so they arent responsible for the platforms diversity. 

Around the Network
amak11 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
amak11 said:

^^All that is just general gamer consensus for people who frequent those crowds.

So much for wide appeal. NIntendo games have a wider appeal than all those combined. No matter where you are in the world people know what and who Mario is. All those games the other guy mentioned are only worth mentioning because of either A) they hay many many rehashed games or B) they had increaible scandals (See GTA, Resident Evil). NIntendo tends to reinvent their own IPs, adds things to make them fresh. What does a new gun in CoD do? What does a new car in Gran Tursimo do? What does the fox say!?

Sales figures would appear to disagree. All those games that you think gamers don't like sell incredibly well. How did the latest Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin etc games do? Oh yeah, no where nears as much.

Nintendo are the best at platformers, no doubt about that. But platformers aren't the dominant genre anymore. Shooters and open world games have the widest appeal/largest fanbases now.

Shooters are casual, they appeal to the lowest, most absent minded demographic. Also according to you Pikmin is a platformer. 

Since VGChartz happens to have a lovely feature of keeping track of stats. Now to compare these to the current size of the Wii U userbase in terms of attachment rate.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze: .55 million global units sold. 8% attachment rate. 

Super Mario 3D world:  2.05 millon global units sold so far.  33% attachment rate. 

Pikmin 3: 0.77 million units sold.  12% attachment rate. 

The beauty of this, that shows the IPs still have very wide appeal making your comment pretty much pointless. Carry this same math over to the CoD, Battlefield side of things. 

For CoD Ghost: 20.72 Million units sold total across all consoles, minus PC. 182.72 total consoles in the wild (Wii U, PS3, 360, One, PS4) that have CoD Ghost available for it. 11% attachment rate. Seems to be missing that "wide" appeal. 

To be fair, I'll compare it also to the worst Battlefield game

Battlefield 4: Again minus PC, 8.7 million units out there for consoles. Minus the Wii U from the total, 176.52 million. 4% attachment rate. Even less appeal than CoD. 

Your statement was true 4 years ago, it's not now. People want more than shooters and clearly Nintendo is going to benefit from these turn of events. Two of the biggest companies in gaming managed to f' up an entire genre, again! Nintendo offers variety no matter what platform, which includes open world games if you ever bothered to look. Open world aka sandbox games are going to be milked this generation like shooters were last generation. 

These stats are great..  How are the purchase rate for the average wii u owner compared to the other current gen consoles though. 33 percent is a lot but wii u owners has to buy something right.  They certainly arent buying 3rd party titles. So in besr case scenario the wii u will get 2 million sales on mario once per year.  About a million on mario kart, dance, smash,  dr tetris mario etc.  However many they can churn out.  Propably about 1-2. Then about a million for their less popular franchises in total for the year..  That is only mediocre for a first party.  Especially wheb considering all the studios nintendo has.  Now the lifeline of the wii u should be 3rd party titles but when some high profile releases struggle to even reach 100k lifetime,  surely it is sign that nearly all of wii u, s consumer purchase power only goes towards the titles you mentioned with decent attach rate.  Try and find a 3rd party title with an attachment of 10 percent.  Ill bet you you cant. 

amak11 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Sales figures would appear to disagree. All those games that you think gamers don't like sell incredibly well. How did the latest Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin etc games do? Oh yeah, no where nears as much.

Nintendo are the best at platformers, no doubt about that. But platformers aren't the dominant genre anymore. Shooters and open world games have the widest appeal/largest fanbases now.

Shooters are casual, they appeal to the lowest, most absent minded demographic. Also according to you Pikmin is a platformer. 

Since VGChartz happens to have a lovely feature of keeping track of stats. Now to compare these to the current size of the Wii U userbase in terms of attachment rate.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze: .55 million global units sold. 8% attachment rate. 

Super Mario 3D world:  2.05 millon global units sold so far.  33% attachment rate. 

Pikmin 3: 0.77 million units sold.  12% attachment rate. 

The beauty of this, that shows the IPs still have very wide appeal making your comment pretty much pointless. Carry this same math over to the CoD, Battlefield side of things. 

For CoD Ghost: 20.72 Million units sold total across all consoles, minus PC. 182.72 total consoles in the wild (Wii U, PS3, 360, One, PS4) that have CoD Ghost available for it. 11% attachment rate. Seems to be missing that "wide" appeal. 

To be fair, I'll compare it also to the worst Battlefield game

Battlefield 4: Again minus PC, 8.7 million units out there for consoles. Minus the Wii U from the total, 176.52 million. 4% attachment rate. Even less appeal than CoD. 

Your statement was true 4 years ago, it's not now. People want more than shooters and clearly Nintendo is going to benefit from these turn of events. Two of the biggest companies in gaming managed to f' up an entire genre, again! Nintendo offers variety no matter what platform, which includes open world games if you ever bothered to look. Open world aka sandbox games are going to be milked this generation like shooters were last generation. 

I think the point to remember is that Ka-pi96 was arguing about wider / widest appeal. If he means what I think he means, "widest appeal" is best measured by the number of people that are interested and purchase the game. In that case, attachment rate is not really important.

Sure, Nintendo games are bought by a large portion of those who own Nintendo consoles. Tell me something new. People buy Nintendo consoles because they like Nintendo first-party offerings.

However, if Call of Duty as a franchise (across multiple consoles) is outselling Nintendo franchises, such as Donkey Kong / Pikmin / Mario, that shows that CoD attracts a wider audience and thus has a wider appeal. I would even argue that the low hardware sales of the Wii U stand to show how little their first-party offerings appeal to the market at large. Many of the Nintendo faithful have already purchased the Wii U, and it stands to reason these are the people buying the games mentioned above. But, the dismal hardware sales show that Nintendo is not attracting other types of gamers to their console (i.e., the definition of not having a wide appeal).

Even your denigration of shooters as "casual" and "appeal[ing] to the lowest, most absent minded demographic" might be more evidence of their wide appeal. The term "casual" is often thrown as an insult when it really means "popular."

There is likely a few, only 3rd party I know that did well on the Wii U was Rayman Legends, and that was the definitive version of the game. Others have sold decent (150k purchasers of CoD for Wii U)

Uabit said:
How many "final chances" has the console had already? :S It's dead.

Wrong.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

While I know what you are saying, I am going to point out that I used casual in the proper way. Casual games refer to something that is popular and simple to pick up. CoD falls in to this category where Battlefield doesn't, etc and so on

True. I really hope they blow me away :D

Though, to be honest, all it would take to blow me away is a new Metroid!