By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CryEngine 2 VS Reality!

CryEngine 2 in its current form can't run on anything but PC, but anything can be downgraded. Unreal Engine 3 can run on the Wii in some form, so I'm sure CryEngine 2 will be running on the PS3 in some form.

Around the Network

There really isn't a reason that couldn't run this real-time on a PC so some of you guys are getting your panties in a twist for no reason. As for the Bravia ad itself....it was a high quality video of reality and even if it had a bit of CG touch-ups I think you're going to have a hard time explaining why those touchups would make it look less impressive and not more impressive.

Quite simply the video is a valid comparison of what the engine can do on high end hardware right now. It certainly doesn't look so good that you cannot tell the difference but it looks good enough that it warranted a side-by-side comparison to give folks an idea of where we are at right now.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:

Quite simply the video is a valid comparison of what the engine can do on high end hardware right now. It certainly doesn't look so good that you cannot tell the difference but it looks good enough that it warranted a side-by-side comparison to give folks an idea of where we are at right now.

Hold up. Is there another version of this video not on Game Trailers. Because even in the "HD" version they constantly shrink one of the video to quarter size over a full size ones which is hardly a fair comparison. Even between that and occasional quick cutting a lot of these were fairly obvious which was "Real" and which was the CryEngine even when they don't tell. Especially the one with the multiple cars in the shot where the shiny video game cars and then reality on the other panel.

It's extremely impressive what they've done here, and I understand why so many people get excited over it. But for all this jive about comparing this stuff to "reality" it all still just looks like the best fake even on my crummy computer screen. I hardly consider an CryEngine reproduction of an arty commercial with numerous quick cuts compared to reality over Game Trailers a fair way to gauge "where we are right now".

Sorry to get pissy, but these "Games VS. Reality" claims tend to annoy the hell out of me, and you probably didn't even mean it like that.

BrainBoxLtd said:
Sqrl said:

Hold up. Is there another version of this video not on Game Trailers. Because even in the "HD" version they constantly shrink one of the video to quarter size over a full size ones which is hardly a fair comparison. Even between that and occasional quick cutting a lot of these were fairly obvious which was "Real" and which was the CryEngine even when they don't tell. Especially the one with the multiple cars in the shot where the shiny video game cars and then reality on the other panel.

It's extremely impressive what they've done here, and I understand why so many people get excited over it. But for all this jive about comparing this stuff to "reality" it all still just looks like the best fake even on my crummy computer screen. I hardly consider an CryEngine reproduction of an arty commercial with numerous quick cuts compared to reality over Game Trailers a fair way to gauge "where we are right now".

Sorry to get pissy, but these "Games VS. Reality" claims tend to annoy the hell out of me, and you probably didn't even mean it like that.

Uhm...try reading again. Here I'll bold for you...

As for the fair comparisonthe smaller box really doesn't matter much.  Nobody is saying it looks so good that there is no difference anyways...so again don't get your panties in a twist over nothing..seriously...

i must say, i was impressed. If they could pull something like that off in a game then that would be amazing

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
Sqrl said:

Sorry to get pissy, but these "Games VS. Reality" claims tend to annoy the hell out of me, and you probably didn't even mean it like that.

As for the fair comparisonthe smaller box really doesn't matter much.  Nobody is saying it looks so good that there is no difference anyways...so again don't get your panties in a twist over nothing..seriously...

I already said I'm sorry for getting Pissy about this and the end of my last post, this was more of a general rant than anything, all though I still think this isn't a very good demonstration personally because of the before mentioned reasons.

DarkNight_DS said:
You guys are freaking funny... That ad is mostly CG with some things being shot on a street. You're comparing prerendered CG to a games engine. Both aren't "reality" so this has gotta be one of the silliest threads I've seen ;)

You need to check your facts:

Here's the making of the commercial...they really did launch hundreds of thousands of bouncy balls down a street...so...yeah.

It's not CG, the point of this CryEngine 2 demo is to show how close they could get to real life, and apparently they chose this ad as a reference.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Also, the original song is pretty sweet.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@Benkenobi: I stand corrected...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

BrainBoxLtd said:
Sqrl said:

As for the fair comparisonthe smaller box really doesn't matter much. Nobody is saying it looks so good that there is no difference anyways...so again don't get your panties in a twist over nothing..seriously...

I already said I'm sorry for getting Pissy about this and the end of my last post, this was more of a general rant than anything, all though I still think this isn't a very good demonstration personally because of the before mentioned reasons.

I apologise, I actually wrote that reply as I was on my way out for the night and it came off a great deal "pissy'er" than I had intended.

Put simply, I definitely agree that the CryEngine2 is not representative of reality but the video does serve as an interesting example of how close we are getting. We are still a ways from the point where a side by side comparison of a 100% rendered environment and actual video of that environment are identically lifelike.

If the claim was that the CryEngine looked identical I think a constant side-by-side approach would be warranted but since the engine is still not truly representative of reality I really don't think it matters if they put it in a smaller frame for certain segments of the video.