By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CryEngine 2 VS Reality!

Pre-rendered. Just like the clips which had thousands of barrells flying and falling that were made with Cry-engine 2 (sandbox editor).

Around the Network

I do say pre-rendered, or they have some kind of advanced CPU and GPU we never heard off, even the most expensive machine cant run that smoothly.

Hmm..

Strange, a Sony commercial, and crytek uses there cry engine 2(running on something?) to display the power of its engine on that system.

*hint sony hint*

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

This video states realtime at the end:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30965.html

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
This video states realtime at the end:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30965.html

Oh. Well, that's impressive then, although the camera is more or less fixed in every scene. The FPS would probably drop to low single digits (or even lower, it's hard to tell) if you were freely walking around in that world. It also doesn't say what the hardware used was to get that running in real time, but I'm assuming 8800GTX in SLI or something similar.

Around the Network

I read the CryEngine is heavily multi-threaded, so if the PS3 port is done right it could serve as a showpiece engine for the Cell.

Some interesting comments from a Heavenly Sword engine designer from the NeoGAF "Crysis = OMG! :O" thread:

User comment 1:

Just sawing it running with my own two eyes.

Man, will console games ever look this good?

Dev response:

YES :lol

User comment 2:

Not anytime soon :lol

Dev response:

Way sooner than you believe

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218529

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Crytek dev regarding multi-threading:

"We're headed for eight-core gaming and frame-rate independent "work crew" modular gaming, where rendering, particle systems, physics, audio, A.I. logic, and input/output process independent of each other."

Also:

"Our PS3 development is going deeper than many people assume right now," studio boss Cevat Yerli told GI.biz."

Hope this means we will see eyeopening results from PS3's CryEngine2 version.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Slimebeast said:
Pre-rendered. Just like the clips which had thousands of barrells flying and falling that were made with Cry-engine 2 (sandbox editor).

Erm, as far as I know those clips were not pre-rendered, they were recorded at the likes of 5fps maybe (very slow speeds anyway), but the still frames were dropped in the recording process to make the videos run at full speed.  They were rendered in realtime but at incredibly slow rates.

That is awesome, pretty close to real, i cant wait for the next "cry engine" it very may "better" than real. Lol

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Thats awesome!!! Consoles cant do such a thing which makes me smile even more :)