By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and Wii cross streams: Wii now ahead of PS4 at the same point in time

Will PS4 regain the 1st position?

Damn right it will! 165 38.73%

Not a chance, son. 259 60.80%

Total:424
Xenostar said:
With it being double the price I'm amazed it managed 27 weeks, great achievement.

399 =/= twice 250

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Xenostar said:
jlmurph2 said:

Just saying, it was throughout the whole year and not just holidays that Wii was supply constrained.

Fair enough still an acheivment for a £350 console to outsell a £179 console for 6 months, especially when the bottom has fallen out of console gaming in Japan. If you look at just western numbers, PS4 is still significantly ahead. 

I thought this thread was about Worldwide? But trust if the Wii was available like how the PS4 is/was for these 6 months, there wouldn't be as many of these excuses. Bottom line is that it's not logical for this gen to last as long as 7th gen with how fast tech is moving now. So if PS4 wants to sell more than the Wii, it has to do Wii numbers/better than Wii numbers, which it won't. What's gonna be the excuse when Wii passes it in western numbers too?

Everyones expecting it to im sure, it was half the price and had mass market appeal, not just aimed at core gamers. Its not an excuse they're the facts. It will outsell PS4 timeline in the west as well at some point im sure. 

The wii burnt bright and fast for 3 years it did amazingly well in a short space or time, then died out just as quickly. If Sony want to beat those sales they will need to go for a longer game. But as there about to pass 8M in just over 7 months, theyve blow away everyone's expectation including there own, and there streets ahead of the current competition, reguardless of the changing gaming demographics in Japan.  

kirby007 said:
Xenostar said:
With it being double the price I'm amazed it managed 27 weeks, great achievement.

399 =/= twice 250

sorry here in UK £179 vs £350, so yes still £10 off being double, but the price difference IS massive. 

I did not know US launch price, just what i paid for both. 

Edit:

Plus that £179 got you a game as well. 

Troll_Whisperer said:
2 minutes ago, the poll was neck and neck. Now it's super-skewed toward the 2nd option. Da fuk?

I've noticed this in other threads as well. One minute option X is in the lead the next minute option Y has suddenly gained like a 100 votes. I'm pretty sure some people are cheating (ip making or something). 

Pathetic if you ask me.

And it'll stay ahead for a very long time...

Around the Network

The PS4 will have a longer and healthier life than the Wii, no massive drops YOY from casuals losing interest. The PS4 definitely has a shot to pass the Wii lifetime.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

kirby007 said:
Xenostar said:

399 =/= twice 250

Didn't the Wii come bundled with Wii sports though (not entirely sure) ? 

So 250 - 50 for the game will make it half of ps4. Not that it really matters though but since we're nitpcking...

Xenostar said:
jlmurph2 said:

I thought this thread was about Worldwide? But trust if the Wii was available like how the PS4 is/was for these 6 months, there wouldn't be as many of these excuses. Bottom line is that it's not logical for this gen to last as long as 7th gen with how fast tech is moving now. So if PS4 wants to sell more than the Wii, it has to do Wii numbers/better than Wii numbers, which it won't. What's gonna be the excuse when Wii passes it in western numbers too?

Everyones expecting it to im sure, it was half the price and had mass market appeal, not just aimed at core gamers. Its not an excuse they're the facts. It will outsell PS4 timeline in the west as well at some point im sure. 

The wii burnt bright and fast for 3 years it did amazingly well in a short space or time, then died out just as quickly. If Sony want to beat those sales they will need to go for a longer game. But as there about to pass 8M in just over 7 months, theyve blow away everyone's expectation including there own, and there streets ahead of the current competition, reguardless of the changing gaming demographics in Japan.  

I'd say 5 years.

Also, they didn't blow away everyone's expectations because there were plenty of people who had high ones for Japan. Expecting that 8 million to come at the end of March. I understand that you're proud of the PS4's sales and that it's sad you can't call it the "best selling" console anymore, but no need to downplay the Wii for it.

huiii said:
kirby007 said:
Xenostar said:

399 =/= twice 250

Didn't the Wii come bundled with Wii sports though (not entirely sure) ? 

So 250 - 50 for the game will make it half of ps4. Not that it really matters though but since we're nitpcking...

wii sports was freeware

EDIT: it wasn't in japan now that i think of it. anyway just goes to show that a simple it was double the price is nonsense

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

jlmurph2 said:
Xenostar said:
jlmurph2 said:

I'd say 5 years.

Also, they didn't blow away everyone's expectations because there were plenty of people who had high ones for Japan. Expecting that 8 million to come at the end of March. I understand that you're proud of the PS4's sales and that it's sad you can't call it the "best selling" console anymore, but no need to downplay the Wii for it.

Im not downplaying the Wii, it was last gens winner by a large margin.

I was just pointing out how excellent the PS4 has done in comparison thus far, but yeah the Wii did better.

I like how your trying to downplay the price difference tho and the Japan difference, but in any XBox One thread im sure youll be straight to the Japan hates Xbox and $100 more to blame. 

Plus no one said 8M at end of March, i said over 7 months so sometime in June.