By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

@Squall_Leonhart

Actually, FF12 was a late 2006 game. Though FF12 did get a fair number of its sales in 2007, granted. The PS2's had a great run, but it's a good time for it to retire now.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

Well maybe for you lot in the US but here in the EU is was Feb 2007 so i stand by it being a 2007 game :D

I see your point and it could very wellbe possible

The ps2 is cheap (129 bucks) and has decent games thats why it still appeals to customers

if God of War is going to get ported on PS2, 08 won't be that bad a year for PS2 either. but I am sure people can't wait until it dies. lol

damn glad I own a 60gb NA PS3. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I assume the Wii may help the PS2 to survive a litte bit more

CoD : PC/PS360 and ........Wii and ........ PS2 lol

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Griffin said:

On this site we have the PS2 listed as selling 116.37mil consoles, but the shipment data we have puts the PS2 at 117.89Mil for the date ending March, 31 2007. But so far this year the PS2 has sold over 11mil consoles according to Sony. Based on thes numbers do we really think the PS2 is sitting with that many units at stores, or have we massively undertracked the PS2.

I know the 117mil is made units and the 11mil so far this year is sold to retrail, but that still seems like a massive amount of PS2's sitting at stores. And i don't think Sony made so many units that they had 10mil plus sitting around in a warehouse. Or am i missing something, which might be the case.

PS2 is sold in a lot more markets then the PS3, 360 and Wii.

There are PS2 all over the world.  It may be undertracked, but likely by a lot less then you expect.

Edit: Found that for which I was searching.

Here's the link to the financial reports, for anyone interested.

I think what should be pointed out, that though they state (by law) that they switched the method that they report shipments of hardware from "produced" to "sold" (as in to retailers of course), but they never say that any single piece of hardware that was counted under the old system would not be counted under the new system. In other words, some PS2s (and PS3s and PSPs) might have been counted twice. Though I can't say for sure, I don't know how hard it would be to track which units were already counted, nor do I know what kind of legal laws would arise from this change and how strict those laws are.

If this is the case, then that about explains it right there.

The other thing that probably should be pointed out is that stockpiling goes on during the year, and yes, everyone does it. This is another reason why the whole "counting some hardware twice" might happen, because they would have units sitting in warehouses and calling them produced, and then after the new fiscal year started, they would sell them and count them again as sold.

But when it comes right down to it, someplace must not get tracked (mainland Asia maybe?) because Sony said (one way or the other) that they produced 117 million PS2s by March 31, 2007, yet here we are nearly a year later with only 116 million sold. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more PS2s sitting on the shelves compared to PS3 and 360s, simply because it sells so well all year (and has for the last 6/7 years), is cheaper (thus easier to get rid of), has a great library (more people willing to pick it up on a whim), and some other reasons. Sony might have overestimated demand as well, and retailers have been willing to buy PS2s, and Sony has stocked some as well.

There's a lot of different things that could cause this great (nearly 12 million) difference, but it could be a combination of what I have mentioned, or something completely random (they had 12 million PS2s in a warehouse that burned down?).

Radziel said:
I wonder how many active owners (those who play and buy games) of PS2 still are.
Will it be 40mil?

There is no way to know. 

A girl I know was just given a PS2 and she bought GH1/GH2 for it. 

Last Christmas, I bought KH2 and FF12 and I don't even own a PS2.  They were big games and I figured $20 for two new games is a good deal.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

the ps2 is undertracked it sold more around 120m

The sales will decrease. But what I want to say is PS2 is the best console ever.