By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

On this site we have the PS2 listed as selling 116.37mil consoles, but the shipment data we have puts the PS2 at 117.89Mil for the date ending March, 31 2007. But so far this year the PS2 has sold over 11mil consoles according to Sony. Based on thes numbers do we really think the PS2 is sitting with that many units at stores, or have we massively undertracked the PS2.

I know the 117mil is made units and the 11mil so far this year is sold to retrail, but that still seems like a massive amount of PS2's sitting at stores. And i don't think Sony made so many units that they had 10mil plus sitting around in a warehouse. Or am i missing something, which might be the case.

Around the Network

Its probably undertracked. I'd put it at, at least 120 million.

120-125 is probable . Wasnt their last shipment # 125 million units ... anyways , we will probably see ~ 5-6 million more sold this year , and probably 140 untill all its done :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I wonder how many active owners (those who play and buy games) of PS2 still are.
Will it be 40mil?

(\__/)
( -'.'-)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

as of November 7,2007 according to sony they had sold or shipped 120 million units ( who knows what numbers any of the console manufacturers use).

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/071106ae.html

I believe that the PS2 will finish with between 145 -155 million units sold during its lifetime. some games that i am looking forward to this year on the PS2 include Arcana Hearts, mana khemia, and choas wars. I very much active in still buying PS2 games and playing them on my PS3.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

Around the Network
royalcaribcruiser123 said:

as of November 7,2007 according to sony they had sold or shipped 120 million units ( who knows what numbers any of the console manufacturers use).

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/071106ae.html

I believe that the PS2 will finish with between 145 -155 million units sold during its lifetime. some games that i am looking forward to this year on the PS2 include Arcana Hearts, mana khemia, and choas wars. I very much active in still buying PS2 games and playing them on my PS3.

Thats to much . It will slow down significantly this year . Also , I still buy PS2 games sometimes :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

The PS2 slowdown is well underway, and it's going to keep working its way down in sales as the system continues to lose its exclusives to newer systems. The drops should, following the trends of its predecessors, result in ever-smaller sales for the next 2 years, basically dropping off the map by the end of 2010. 2006 was the system's last "big" year, it's not hard to see that comparing 2006 to 2007 software- and hardware-wise. As for how that will translate numerically, I would expect the PS2 to sell around 10 to 12 million more; about 5 to 6 million this year, around 2 to 3 million next, and the remaining millions over the course of the years until Sony discontinues the PS2.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

There's no way 11 million PS2s have been sold so far this year.. February isn't even over yet.

2007 was still a good year for the PS2 (with the likes of FFXII being released) but that is going to be one of the last high profile games for the system so i would expect a decline in sales to take hold from this year onwards!

Reducing the price to $99 in the US would give the system one last major boost, but from there all there will be is decline!

Long live PS2 though :D

Its under tracked but probably only by 3-5 million.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089