By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

HOLY SHIT I SLEPT YESTERDAY AFTER HAZARD'S PENALTY THINKING NO WAY PSG COMES BACK.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

It's unfair that one team gets an extra 30 mins to get an away goal. 

On the other hand you could say that it's unfair that one team gets 30 more minutes playing at home.

Poor Mourinho...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Talal said:
Kerotan said:

It's unfair that one team gets an extra 30 mins to get an away goal. 

On the other hand you could say that it's unfair that one team gets 30 more minutes playing at home.

After the 180 minutes, surely any goals in extra time shouldn't be 'away' goal rule anymore... mainly because us neutrals want to see some sweet sweet penalties.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
Even Gary Neville thinks English teams are a long way behind other European teams...
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9754937/gary-neville-chelsea-loss-shows-english-football-is-on-the-ropes

I just don't buy that though, sure he may be part of the pundit industry so he has to say things (keep the news rolling) but every team has their day on and off days. Tottenham are out of the Europa league but beat Chelsea 5-3. Sunderland drew against Liverpool and Chelsea but lose 8-0 to Saints. Bradford are still in the FA cup.

Notice how Dortmund are doing this season and PSG are not top of their league. Majority of times, it's based on the day. Like Tennis, for all Andy Murray's success and wins against Federer (arguably one of the best tennis players ever). Even are about even at the moment in wins and losses I think. It's just a case of on the day one might win or one might lose. Here's another great examples, Murray against Nadal or Djockvic (sp?), Murray loses most the time, but that's just it, most the time. They are better players than Murray but he still wins.

Beside, Man City (through all their group stage struggles) have been drawn against Barcelona twice in this round. Weird no? Like someone is planning that.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Celtic would be a mid tier premier league team yet that didn't stop them beating many top teams over the years in Europe. They take Europe so seriously and are able to prepare for it without worrying about their league. In England you usually have at least 2 of the champions league teams fighting for their lives just to requalify and the other two the same but to win it. The year the two German teams hammered the two Spanish teams in the semi. That didn't mean the German league was the best.

Ka-pi96 said:

I don't think English football is in that bad of a state. But it certainly isn't what it used to be. English sides used to absolutely dominate in Europe, now the top European leagues seem to be much more equal.

That is the difference I think. The top teams, so Munich, PSG, Real, Juventus, Barca, Atletico, Chelsea, Man City etc, can all beat each other on their day.

But I feel the general English league is far stronger, mid table Prem clubs would beat mid table Spanish or German clubs.

Hmm, pie.

For me this is the worse the Premier League has been since the early 90's where we were still suffering from being banned from Europe. The defences in the league are a complete joke outside of Southampton, but they sacrifice some attack to ensure a great defence, and play with 2 CDM's in Wanyama and Schneiderlin, and that's fine and all, but eventually the goals will dry up if you don't have a couple of world class attackers, and lo and behold the goals have dried up for the Saints, with them only scoring 2 in the last 6 games. And then there's Chelsea, who have one of the best CDM's in the world looking after the defence, whilst being managed by a cautious, defensive manager, and also being lucky that there is a severe lack of quality pace players in the league outside of Arsenal, and Jose well and truly has Arsene's number, so it doesn't matter that Arsenal are pacy and dangerous on the counter.

Then there's the rest, who either can't get any consistency in defence due to injuries (United and Arsenal), or just simply aren't that good (Kompany has been pretty crap this year, Hart's a poor keeper, they need a left back, and they don't have a good partner for Kompany, Liverpool's defence are awful, and the less said about spurs the better).

Groundking said:
For me this is the worse the Premier League has been since the early 90's where we were still suffering from being banned from Europe. The defences in the league are a complete joke outside of Southampton

But it has 19 year old defenders for 30 million pound! :S Instead of Luke Shaw ManU could have 1 worldclass and another top defender...

but aren't you scared wththe ridicilous TV money deal will bring even more foreign players into the premier league affecting home grown players? A kid like Harry Kane should play weekly to become better..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Groundking said:
For me this is the worse the Premier League has been since the early 90's where we were still suffering from being banned from Europe. The defences in the league are a complete joke outside of Southampton

But it has 19 year old defenders for 30 million pound! :S Instead of Luke Shaw ManU could have 1 worldclass and another top defender...

but aren't you scared wththe ridicilous TV money deal will bring even more foreign players into the premier league affecting home grown players? A kid like Harry Kane should play weekly to become better..

The 30 million pounds is massively inflated due to a few factors, one is that he's English, English players are an instant 5-10 million more expensive, coupled with how much they got shafted by Bale moving for peanuts, the fact that he moved to United, and his quality at such an age always means it's going to be a big fee. When United come nocking there's an instant +5m onto the price tage, simply because United are the richest club in the world. 

Meh, it's only a short term thing whilst the Spanish and Italian league are in complete disseray financially (there's a reason why there are so few Germans outside of Germany) then there wil always be a lot of foreign players as long as teams are uninterested in bringing through youth, and this has to happen in the midtable, as unless you're very very very good, you simply won't get a chance at the bigger clubs, as instant results are far more important than building towards the future, unless there's injuries, which is why McNair and Blackett have managed to get so much game time for us. The biggest problem though is City and Chelsea who have absolutely no interest in bringing through the youth, and would much rather buy success.

Harry Kane is playing almost every week, likewise, most of the other super exciting English players are playing pretty much everyweek, other than Wilson for ourselves, however he's probably a year or so too early to be given a proper chance, especially with Falcao still here, and I predict that Wilson, Januzaj and McNair will get a lot of game time next season.