By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Well in Redmen. Never thought we'd be able to keep City at bay for that entire second half, but we defended very well. In a fantastic position to get to the semi finals, but I'm taking nothing for granted yet.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Carl2291 said:

I need one more goal in that game for £250.

Any team look like getting another?

Did you win the money? What was your bet?

£110 on Barca and over 3.5 goals in the game.

Wish I had the bollocks to go for whatever 4.5 goals was.

KiigelHeart said:
Pep = Wenger with more money to burn.

Oh you wish

RolStoppable said:
Looks like most of the quarter finals are already a foregone conclusion on who advances. Bayern is the only team that won by fewer than three goals, but they got a road win nonetheless and it seems unlikely that they'll give it away because they can focus on the Champions League now. I'd say that of the four losers this week, Man City has the best chances to still advance.

Yeah, which means no excitement until the Semi-finals I suppose. 

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/837273/asian-football-will-have-their-own-mo-salah-in-time-come/
This article discusses whether there will ever be an Asian player at Salah's level.

HomokHarcos said:
http://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/837273/asian-football-will-have-their-own-mo-salah-in-time-come/
This article discusses whether there will ever be an Asian player at Salah's level.

Interesting article, but I have a little objection as a south american

Each and every year we see young players being bought by european clubs while playing just a few years here. Almost everyone goes after being tempted by money and the possibility to play in europe, yet most of them end up not playing and have to come back. 

Coaches here try to talk them out of going to Europe so young, they try to make them stay and consolidate instead of going away after just a breakout season, but kids come from poor families and believe they can be the next superstar. 

I like what clubs like Udinese have done. With Alexis Sánchez, they bought him when he was 16, but they didn't take him to Europe, they let him play here in Chile, play copa libertadores and sudamericana, win the league. Then, at 18, they didn't take him either, they loaned him to River Plate in Argentina, a stronger league but yet close to home and style. Then they took him to Europe at 19-20, he was already used to playing important competitions and having full responsibility so Italian league was something he could handle. 

You will always have players that can go out at 17-18 and play in important leagues as it was nothing (See Messi, Vidal or Salah) but just exporting young and undeveloped talent to Europe has made our leagues worse and those promising players end up ruining their careers and screwing up their potential. 

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Each and every year we see young players being bought by european clubs while playing just a few years here. Almost everyone goes after being tempted by money and the possibility to play in europe, yet most of them end up not playing and have to come back. 

Coaches here try to talk them out of going to Europe so young, they try to make them stay and consolidate instead of going away after just a breakout season, but kids come from poor families and believe they can be the next superstar. 

I like what clubs like Udinese have done. With Alexis Sánchez, they bought him when he was 16, but they didn't take him to Europe, they let him play here in Chile, play copa libertadores and sudamericana, win the league. Then, at 18, they didn't take him either, they loaned him to River Plate in Argentina, a stronger league but yet close to home and style. Then they took him to Europe at 19-20, he was already used to playing important competitions and having full responsibility so Italian league was something he could handle. 

You will always have players that can go out at 17-18 and play in important leagues as it was nothing (See Messi, Vidal or Salah) but just exporting young and undeveloped talent to Europe has made our leagues worse and those promising players end up ruining their careers and screwing up their potential. 

South American leagues definitely have been hit the hardest by the money in Europe. I do think though that if a player has real potential they should head to Europe instead of staying at home.

HomokHarcos said:
pastro243 said:

South American leagues definitely have been hit the hardest by the money in Europe. I do think though that if a player has real potential they should head to Europe instead of staying at home.

Yeah I do too, my point is, world class players like the ones I listed will find their way anyway. And the objective is that they always end up playing in Europe, but the time in which they make the move is proving to be too early for most. That won't hurt players like Dybala, Messi, etc...; but there are many players that could've moved 2 years later and would have succeeded instead of not getting any playtime and wasting their potential

What a beautiful goal by City!

Ugh. Should've been 5-0 by now, not 2-2!

Wow!!!!