By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

What a goal by Matic! Now to some online PES..

Around the Network

100 more days. What a torturous wait.

As for the Champions League, how long will Real Madrid's run last?

Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:
100 more days. What a torturous wait.

Until the World Cup?

Yes. Although the team I usually cheer for (USA) won't be there.

If you're wondering why I cheer for the USA, it's because when I was a kid I thought there were only 32 national teams with the same ones playing every year (like the NHL worked) so I thought Canada didn't have a team and I picked the USA. I still follow them as my favourite national team though.

Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Yes. Although the team I usually cheer for (USA) won't be there.

If you're wondering why I cheer for the USA, it's because when I was a kid I thought there were only 32 national teams with the same ones playing every year (like the NHL worked) so I thought Canada didn't have a team and I picked the USA. I still follow them as my favourite national team though.

heh, the same 32 teams every time would get so boring. I love that it changes every time, especially when you have the drama of a team like Italy failing to qualify

And hey, the team I usually cheer for (Netherlands) isn't there either, so we're in the same boat

The Netherlands are in a really bad period right now. The Eredivisie teams are not competitive in the Champions League anymore, and I do think that weakening of the league has affected the national team (have you also noticed that the Italian national team has declined with Serie A?) The USA on the other hand had around a 5 year gap where they produced nobody even by their standards, so they were pretty much stuck with old players who were past their prime or young players that weren't ready. The youth team has been producing great results but we know from Nigeria that doesn't always translate to the senior team.

Hmmm I hope you enjoy Man City's game today even though we pretty much they're heading to the quarters.

So if all 4 EPL teams qualify what are the odds of another FIFA meltdown over it? I still remember Sepp Blatter losing his mind when it happened several times in a row years ago.

Around the Network

What_the_fuck happened? Allegri brings in two widebacks and suddenly they are a goal up..

Wyrdness said:
So if all 4 EPL teams qualify what are the odds of another FIFA meltdown over it? I still remember Sepp Blatter losing his mind when it happened several times in a row years ago.

Say what?

LurkerJ said:
Wyrdness said:

Say what?

Years ago the EPL teams were dominating and all constantly making it to the last 8 with 3 or so years having 3 EPL teams in the semi finals those were the years we were having Chelsea and Liverpool constantly face off in Europe with United and Arsenal clashing a few times as well, Sepp Blatter went on a rant on how it's unacceptable that one country's league was dominating.

It was comical because he didn't seem to have an issue when Spain and Italy did it.

Tottenham - Juventus once again showing why VAR is desperately needed. Missed a penalty, red card and Kane almost equalized while he was miles offside.

Spurs bottle it in a big game once again.