By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

The Fury said:
Good game of football between Liverpool and Tottenham, Spurs were so lucky 2 penalties and honestly while the first definitely wasn't, the second was questionable to me. I know in the rules of the game you should 'kick' people but it's football, he was going to kick the ball, someone jumped in his way, how is he mean to react to that? He was ball watching after all. Oh well.

At least Saints won. Wooh.

I watched it in slow-motion and it looks like there was a sniper at Anfield who shot Lamela in the back. VVD's leg didn't even touch him where he put his hand in terrible agony. Leg hardly even touched him and even if it did, Lamela jumped at VVDs leg who was watching the ball and even pulled his leg away.

But yeah I've said it before, Tottenham are filth. And hell of a title contenders.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Maynard_Tool said:

That game had tied written all over it

Oh yeah, talk about how you "expected" it to be a tie when the referee gives Spurs 799 penalties.

Just came back home right now so I couldn't talk about it here earlier, but, yeah. I'm still fucking pissed off. It was just straight daylight robbery. Love how the referee gives a penalty, then talks to officials for 2 minutes about how it was clearly not a penalty and Kane was offside... then still gives the penalty anyway. But when he doesn't give a penalty, the moment he sees the linesman flagging something 20 seconds later it's an instant decision. "Does it help Spurs and Harry Kane? By all means!"

I can accept Liverpool didn't play well at all and honestly if we're looking at the run of play really it should have deservedly been either a draw or a Spurs win... but that's not how football goes, football is about scoring goals and Tottenham was woeful at that today, partially because of Kane's dreadful finishing. Needs 2 pens to reach his little 100 mark and now he gets all the headlines, oh come the fuck on. I hope these diving assholes end up below Arsenal by the end of the season with no European football of any kind, they don't deserve it.

Sorry but watch the replay of the first one it's Lovren's fault he touches the ball which instantly means Kane is no longer offside, the second Lovren plays the ball the only way Kane could be called for offside was if he interfered with the play as it was heading to Lovren which he wasn't you can't be offside if the opposing team plays the ball.

You should also keep up to date with the laws of the game as linesman have been given powers to bring attention incidents that they see clearly that the referee may have missed and in the second penalty's case it was a foul, like it or not football has entered the age of more monitored refereeing with VAR and the new officiating powers. People have always complained about referees now this is the result VAR fully comes into play next season.

If the ball rebounded off Lovren then Kane should have been called offside. If Lovren played the ball then Kane was onside. I think attempting to block a shot or a pass counts as rebound. I didn't see this incident yesterday though so I don't know if it was offside or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzTJ0K-eLZM That's a link to the next penalty. I don't think VAR would have called it. Simply touching another player isn't a foul. A challenge / tackle should be made in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force. Also the ref saw it and didn't call for penalty..

Soo..er Kane just basically admitted he dived.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42942808

"I felt contact and I went down. I'm not going to jump out of the way because it's football."

So much for staying on your feet and trying to score huh, Kane? Nope, feel contact, fall over and get the penalty... that you missed. Good Job.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Sorry but watch the replay of the first one it's Lovren's fault he touches the ball which instantly means Kane is no longer offside, the second Lovren plays the ball the only way Kane could be called for offside was if he interfered with the play as it was heading to Lovren which he wasn't you can't be offside if the opposing team plays the ball.

You should also keep up to date with the laws of the game as linesman have been given powers to bring attention incidents that they see clearly that the referee may have missed and in the second penalty's case it was a foul, like it or not football has entered the age of more monitored refereeing with VAR and the new officiating powers. People have always complained about referees now this is the result VAR fully comes into play next season.

That's not how it works. A defender merely touching the ball doesn't make offside players onside. Besides, Kane's presence there was interfering as had he not been there Lovren wouldn't have had to attempt to clear the ball anyway and could have just let it run through to the goalie or out for a goal kick.

The only way it wouldn't have been offside is if Lovren had controlled the ball and then played it through to Kane. An unintentional deflection doesn't play him onside though.

As for the second one, if you think that's a foul then you're having a laugh mate. He never touched him. If they were using VAR there then it should have been a yellow card for diving, not a penalty. Providing the VAR actually wants to keep his job of course.

You might want to check up on things because that's how it does work Lovren attempted to play the ball that's why offside wasn't given

Click

"Firstly, I think it's a foul. Regarding the offside, there's no doubt Kane is initially in an offside position, but once Lovren looks to take ownership of the ball, which he tries to do without doubt, that begins a new phase of play.

The discussion between linesman Eddie Smart and Moss centres around whether a) Lovren has played the ball, and b) whether Kane impacts the play, i.e. moves towards Lovren, and interferes with play, which he doesn't. Would managers know this? When referees go into clubs at pre-season, things like this are explained. The key thing here is: did Lovren clearly try to play the ball? And he did."

The rules don't say the player has to control it, a deflection is when a ball hits a player with them unable to act not when they try to play the ball and miscontrol. VAR also wasn't used for the second one and VAR is not a person either.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 05 February 2018

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

You might want to check up on things because that's how it does work Lovren attempted to play the ball that's why offside wasn't given

Click

The rules don't say the player has to control it, a deflection is when a ball hits a player with them unable to act not when they try to play the ball and miscontrol. VAR also wasn't used for the second one and VAR is not a person either.

If Kane hadn't been standing behind him would he have attempted to clear the ball? Probably not, so Kane interfered by being in that offside position... should be called for offside.

The Video Assistant Referee is definitely a person. As nice as an AI that can make the refereeing decisions would be we don't have that yet. We still need a person to be watching the videos and reporting to the referee.

Except the rules here say Kane did not interfere between the pass and Lovren getting the ball Kane being offside means had he not touched the ball offside would have been called sorry but you have no leg to stand on here both the rules and someone who knows the rules have explained this whether you accept it or not.

VAR is the system that records play from every angle where the cameras are the assistant who tends to it doesn't watch it he only refers to it when an incident happens in the match and the officials ask him to check you're mistaken in thinking someone watches it all the time it's explained in the very link I gave you.

Wyrdness said: 

VAR is the system that records play from every angle where the cameras are the assistant who tends to it doesn't watch it he only refers to it when an incident happens in the match and the officials ask him to check you're mistaken in thinking someone watches it all the time it's explained in the very link I gave you.

What are you on about, VAR is definitely a person or even a group of referees. VAR team can even recommend a review to the ref, they're watching it all the time. It's explained around the internet in numerous articles.

KiigelHeart said:
Wyrdness said: 

What are you on about, VAR is definitely a person or even a group of referees. VAR team can even recommend a review to the ref, they're watching it all the time. It's explained around the internet in numerous articles.

"The process begins with the video assistant referee(s) and the assistant video assistant referee (AVAR) reviewing the play in question on a bank of monitors in the video operation room (VOR) with the assistance of the replay operator (RO), this can be triggered by the referee requesting the review."

They're not always watching and when they are the are too many monitors to follow which is why it's often an official who requests it during an incident.

Ka-pi96 said:

Pretty sure "the rules" don't specifically state anything about Kane or certain instances, so no, "the rules" don't explain it. Being in a position does have a precedent for being called offside due to interfering with play however. Try putting an offside player in front of the goalie when you take a shot... he doesn't have to touch it to interfere, him being there blocking the line of sight or getting in the way is interfering. So to is being in a position that necessitates the ball be cleared by a defender, as in this case.

VAR stands for Video Assistant Referee. So if that's not what you call the guy that watches the videos and reports to the ref... what do you call him? And he definitely does watch all the time and alerts the ref if he thinks something needs another look, that's been mentioned numerous times.

The rules state that a player has to interfere with the current play in which as the official explained in the link the current play was the pass to Kane, when Lovren intercepted the ball that became classed as a new set of play which negated Kane being offside. The official has highlighted this is explained to managers every season so again you don't have a leg to stand on here its time to get over it.

mZuzek said:
Love how irrelevant all of this is since Kane dived anyway.

But because he's English, he gets rewarded for it, while Alli got himself a bad rep and now gets yellow cards all the time. The same thing used to happen to 2014 Liverpool... Suarez would dive all the time and always get punished for it, yet Sterling was even worse at it and got us loads of soft penalties. That's just how it is.

I think that is more the idea of what he achieved in that game. 100 goals, make that news, not him trying to win that 100 goals by getting a penalty and not from open play. Trust me, he isn't rewarded for diving, there are a lot of football fans that hate that side of the game. Get hit in the box, go down. Doesn't matter how small the contact is. Middle of the pitch they jump over or continue on and the ref 'plays advantage'. The players need to get in the mentality that it also exists in the box, if he stumbles that's a foul, he has the opportunity to recover and score but if he isn't able to it's a penalty. But instead players go down.

All those players you listed dived and I don't like any form of diving. Cheating is cheating no matter where you are on the pitch or who you are. And both penalties in this game were both cases of the play going down regardless of the intensity of the contact made. It's sad.

Hmm, pie.