By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Another 0-0 draw and another missed penalty (ingoring it wasn't a penalty obviously). If there is one thing we have got to sort out, it's having a penalty taker who can actually score. I guess having Le Tiss followed by Lambert spoiled me a little. Heck, even Beattie did well.... I won't mention the championship years. :P

Tadic isn't the man, Austen, I'm not sure but I think Ward-Prowse should be it. He's a perfect dead ball taker and there is no reason why he can't do the same from the spot and just bash it into the top right or left every time, no way the keeper can get those.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

In!

Ka-pi96 said:
poklane said:

According to Dutch website Voetbal International the new Eredivisie structure which would see the amount of teams be reduced from 18 to 16 and would see the top 6 after each regular season playing another 10 matches each after all points being halved will not be happening. The vote needed 15 of 18 Eredivisie teams to vote in favor in order to pass, but only 8 teams voted in favor. Willem II, Excelsior, NEC, Sparta, Roda JC, ADO Den Haag, FC Groningen, Heracles Almelo, Go Ahead Eagles and Feyenoord all voted against the proposel, with Feyenoord voting against because we want turf to be banned from the Eredivisie.

There was also a proposel to keep the amount of teams at 18 and have the top 6 teams play each other just once after the regular league, but the top teams didn't approve of this.

https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/nieuwe-opzet-eredivisie-van-de-baan

So, happy the changes never got approved? Or disappointed?

I don't really follow the Eredivisie anymore, but I'm glad. I much prefer the traditional structure where everybody plays everybody and the team on top is the champions. I think it kind of devalues winning the league if it's decided through any other means.

Personally I'm extremely happy. I think it's simply unfair that of your 17 opponents you play 12 only twice while playing the other 5 four times. How is that fair?

Also some more good news for Dutch football today: captains of 12 of the 18 Eredivisie teams want a ban on turf.

Also some sad news, Dirk Kuyt announced his retirement yesterday

Ka-pi96 said:
Premier League finally introduces retrospective punishment for diving.

Too bad it's only succesful diving and is only a 2 match ban. Bet they'll still be plenty of players that think it will be worth it...

Successful diving is a weird thing. Surely they are the same regardless of the result of your dive?

I know one results in a penalty plus may change the result of the game but both versions should have a 2 match ban, so those caught in game get a yellow... plus the 2 match ban.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

I remember one pundit suggesting a 6 match ban. I'd rather that! Add in a hefty fine too maybe! Needs to be harsh enough to get people to actually stop doing it and I don't think 2 matches will be enough to do that.

The fine bit especially and has to come from the players, not the club. Make it personal because the club have had an advantage, they may have won and game and the result won't be changed so fine the player, make them aware this crap isn't on.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

So... discussing something with you guys. I'm a Southampton fan as you know and there are rumours Puel is leaving. I actually don't think it'll happen but it seems media and other fans (both saints fans and of other clubs) don't have the same mentality as I have with Saints.

We are looking to finish 8th, need to win the last game of the season to set it in stone but with that (and if Man U win the Europa) we will get into Europe. We made a final for the first time since the Johnson's Paint win and before that the 2003 FA Cup. This has been a good season but many don't think so, they seem to think we should be banging in 2 or 3 goals a game, pushing the much bigger and richer clubs for the European places instead of just getting the left overs because Man U got into the Champions league via the back door.

I don't get this. They say over and over "they can't keep selling players and staying as they are" but we've done it for 3 seasons now. Our scouting buy new players who we develop and they get better, help us progress and be stronger. We have a great youth development which have produced numerous world renowned players and this will continue to do so. I used to sit every season wondering if we would be relegated (like most years in the prem before we did) and then we had a dark age being bankrupt and in League 1. We returned and I cannot believe how well we've done.

We aren't rich like the teams who finished above us (seriously look at them, they are all richer and more succesful what player wouldn't want to move to them on twice the wage?), we don't have the fan numbers of West Ham or Newcastle. But we are doing well every season in the prem so far. It's amazing what we are doing. Do people really expect our club to pass up the opportunity to sell a player for £35million when we purchased him for £12 two years prior (Mane), he's done our club proud and moved on to a bigger club that can afford first of all to buy him and then pay him 3 times what we can even afford.

Yet, I wonder what people truely expect from us?

EDIT: Internal gripe of the day over. :P

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

WTF? Just looked it up and saw he's getting the sack. That seems pretty crazy. At first I thought you meant he was moving to a bigger club, a la Pochettino/Koeman. That would be annoying but definitely something Southampton can and have got over.

But sacking him? For an 8th place finish? I do think Southampton should try and aim higher, why not? Kind of silly to be willing to settle for a lower place (Wenger and 4th for example ) when you can always push further. But even if you want to aim higher, sometimes that's just not realistic. The top 7 teams this season all did really well, and likely will continue to do so. Finishing higher should be a target, not a requirement. As it is 8th is great for a club that does keep losing players/managers. And Southampton play some pretty good football doing it too!

It's just rumours at this point (would be on BBC if it were true) but if Man u win Europa, 8th place, in Europe and a cup final? When we had some of our best players out for a good section of the season is pretty good.

I understand what you mean by push further, many people go on about it, yet I like the idea of finishing higher, like the idea of winning trophies they are the high end. If we won a cup, any cup. That's amazing. Saints don't win things, so any win is great. Yet if we just get near that good too because we did well. Looking at Arsenal, they are about to have a 'bad season'. Finishing 5th in the prem and in FA Cup final, heck they win that final and it'll still be seen as a 'bad' season. What is that? If saints got it, it would be a dream, just being there is an honour and shows how we have 'pushed further'. So we didn't beat the 7 richer clubs than us in the Prem, so what... they have most of our players anyway (aside from Man City... come one you are lacking, time to buy Van Djik).

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

They won't actually get Europa League regardless. Max of 7 teams in Europe per country so no spot for 8th.

But yeah, agree with you pretty much. Aiming higher is a nice goal and all, but what Southampton have done with the resources they have still means it's a great season!

Oh, and City want to buy any Southampton players I'd rather take Forster. We do need a goalie after all...

What? That makes me sad now. Oh well, we don't have a strong enough team for it anyway, didn't last year either.

The great Keeper rotation is the summer is yet to happen. Thing is, I'd have Hart. I think Joe Hart is great, if we lose Forster, I do think Pickford is the most likely replacement though. Hart may go to Liverpool. Pep and his ways huh? If de Gea leaves Man U, they will need one, Everton need one, Liverpool need one. Pickford will leave Sunderland, can Cech do another season at Arsenal? The keeper thing will be fun to watch when it happens.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

What? That makes me sad now. Oh well, we don't have a strong enough team for it anyway, didn't last year either.

The great Keeper rotation is the summer is yet to happen. Thing is, I'd have Hart. I think Joe Hart is great, if we lose Forster, I do think Pickford is the most likely replacement though. Hart may go to Liverpool. Pep and his ways huh? If de Gea leaves Man U, they will need one, Everton need one, Liverpool need one. Pickford will leave Sunderland, can Cech do another season at Arsenal? The keeper thing will be fun to watch when it happens.

Oh, I'd have Hart too! But like you said, Pep and his ways...

Although if we are getting (another) replacement I do hope they really go for it and get somebody like Donnarumma!

You mean Johan Cruyff and his ways. You guys are 25 years behind in football R&D.

Harry Kane is ridiculous. 29 goals in 28 appearances in the league.

Could have had a 40+ goal season in all competitions if he hadn't missed over two months