By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

RolStoppable said:
DakonBlackblade said:

Of course he did he has a device in his wrist that tells him 0.5 seconds after the ball went it that the ball went in, theres absolutely no way in hell he saw it going in in real time, I had to see a super slow mo to notice the ball went in, it stayed in for 2/10ths of a second before the goalkeeper pulled it out, if he did score the goal without the tech hed be: 1 - doing it wrong since FIFA has instructed the refs to relly on this tech on situations like this and 2 - guessing cause he doesnt have eagle eyes he has humman eyes and humman eyes just cant see that this ball went in. 

I thought only the referee had such a device, because why would the linesman need one when the guy who makes the final decision already has one?

But even ignoring that, you do realize that every close offside situation could also be called guesswork on the linesman's part, right? That doesn't mean that the linesman has no say whatsoever or that he can't be right by guessing.

And arent ofsides the most problematic thing in football ? They do guess a lot, its screwed up to ask a linesman to follow a sprintting Cristiano Ronaldo and at the same time pay attention to a sprintting Marcelo that may or may not pass the ball to the first player all  the while Gerard Piquet run up and down the field marking both these players trying to figure if Cristiano is already past Piquet or not when Marcelo finally decides to pass the ball. Somekind of tech has to be used for ofsides as well, maybe never call an ofside and if the paly ends in a goal check to see if the goal was legal or not via instant replay I dont realy know.

Around the Network

10 out of 10 so far, not bad, not bad.

We are off to a great start!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Well, that escalated quickly.

I'd like to change my prediction please.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Yikes they already scored. Might have predicted a score too low for Argentina. :S

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Such bad luck.

Come on Bosnia, don't let Argentina score more than four!

Whatever happens this match, today was a good day for football since for the first time a referee could make a call based on (video) technology :)

poklane said:

Whatever happens this match, today was a good day for football since for the first time a referee could make a call based on (video) technology :)

...at a World Cup

Messi why u do dis :'(