By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you think Nintendo should approach releasing its next console?

Never said:
Release a ton of games in its first year. If the wii U had 10 good and appealing triple A exclusives released in the first year of its life it would be looking far better right now. The wii U had two big droughts and people thought the wii U would be like the last two years of the wii.

I think the Wii U will end it's life with a good rep as a niche machine and Nintendo will go into the next gen stronger.

None of the consoles are going to have 10 AAA exclusive titles in their first year.... I think this may be asking for a bit much. I think 5 or 6 spaced out every other month with some good indie support is a more realistic goal. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Ease the Wii U out as they bring the "Fusion" in. Fusion handheld launches in March 2016, almost five years to the day after the 3DS. Fusion handheld is fully or near-fully backwards compatible with Wii U games, downscaled to 540p across the board. This way you can launch a few late-term Wii U games, but get people interested in buying them for the Fusion as well.

Then in Q4 2016, the home side of the Fusion is introduced, which also works in the same architectural environment as the Wii U and the handheld, but instead is capable of pushing PS4+ levels of graphics (so native 1080p across the board, etc).

The power gap will not allow for FULL cross-compatibility, due to the ability to run games that are not only higher res, but more complex on the home console, but it will functionally be the same game, just the "next gen" version of it (so, for instance, Nintendo develops games for both as if they were a multiplat developer making a PS4 and an X360 game: you can use the same code base, but still put a lot more stuff in the upper-tier version, with the added bonus that unlike the PS4-360 bridge, the architecture is similar).

This idea sounds awesome. They would almost be like a pc developer, developing for top end and low end. The difference being that they would only have to worry about optimizing code for the two platforms instead of dozens of graphics cards. I really hope this is inline with nintendos plans, that would be amazing.

Justagamer said:
Mr Khan said:
Ease the Wii U out as they bring the "Fusion" in. Fusion handheld launches in March 2016, almost five years to the day after the 3DS. Fusion handheld is fully or near-fully backwards compatible with Wii U games, downscaled to 540p across the board. This way you can launch a few late-term Wii U games, but get people interested in buying them for the Fusion as well.

Then in Q4 2016, the home side of the Fusion is introduced, which also works in the same architectural environment as the Wii U and the handheld, but instead is capable of pushing PS4+ levels of graphics (so native 1080p across the board, etc).

The power gap will not allow for FULL cross-compatibility, due to the ability to run games that are not only higher res, but more complex on the home console, but it will functionally be the same game, just the "next gen" version of it (so, for instance, Nintendo develops games for both as if they were a multiplat developer making a PS4 and an X360 game: you can use the same code base, but still put a lot more stuff in the upper-tier version, with the added bonus that unlike the PS4-360 bridge, the architecture is similar).

This idea sounds awesome. They would almost be like a pc developer, developing for top end and low end. The difference being that they would only have to worry about optimizing code for the two platforms instead of dozens of graphics cards. I really hope this is inline with nintendos plans, that would be amazing.

Agreed, they could also use seperate teams for optimizing. If they could get the architecture as close as possible and it should be (to a degree) easy to do.

Mr Khan said:

Good in theory, but terrible in practice. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Are there any examples you could provide?

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Are there any examples you could provide?

PS3

DreamCast

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

bigtakilla said:

I've been thinking recently about what Nintendo should do and how they could further seperate themselves from their competition and be looked at as a separate entity in the video game World. What it led me to is two different potential paths they could take, but wanted to get other peoples opinion of how they think Nintendo should approach the future.

Option 1: End the Wii U life cycle a little early. By this I don't mean 2015 or 2016, I'm more thinking 2017 or 2018. By doing this they could offer something a little more powerful than the PS4 and XBone with a few years before either of those companies drop their next console. The pros to this is the hardware could be more powerful and still be sold rather cheaply, and by the time devs draw all the power out of the other consoles, Nintendo fans can look forward to multiplat releases end cycle of current gen and beginning cycle of the gen after (cross gen games, ect). The problem would still be those years in between, but that could give Nintendo time to create their 1st party games and release them mid gen. Also the hardware could maintain its good price point.

This is essentially what they done with the Wii U, had it released a year or two earlier. In this scenario Sony might do what Sony does best and come out with commercials or speak in public events saying Nintendo left Wii U owners high and dry, and that's when Nintendo starts their hype campaign, The "We want what you want" campaign. In this they need to put the first party and VERY IMPORTANTLY third party devs up front. Show the people that they get the majority of games, and they also have amazing exclusives and first party titles.

Option 2: They could ride the Wii U out, give us some games we've been dying for like F-Zero, or Star Fox, make a profit and everyone will be happy, but in this scenerio they wait two years AFTER the release of the new PS and XBox systems, and come out with specs that beat them after the specs have been confirmed. This for all intent and purposes work the same but this way means you can kiss any potential multiplats from here to mid next gen bye bye. The pros to this is Nintendo fans get to play those ellusive first party games that keep getting pushed to the sidelines for a second or third Mario or Legend Of Zelda. This could also help show demand for these franchises and get Nintendo motivated to start making those games again, giving people more Nintendo exclusive IPs to brag about. The long term goals would remain the same, however the short term (current gen) goals would need to keep the same course. Keep the 3rd party exclusives coming, keep the Nintendo IP's coming, keep gaming crossovers coming, in general keep the games coming. We should not experience huge gaps in quality releases like the first year EVER! 

The ultimate winning strategy here is to drop midway in a gen, pretty much eliminating any chance of Sony or Microsoft being able to release a new console side by side with or earlier than the next Nintendo console. 

I could go on and on but what are your thoughts?

Hard to see how you would consider 2017 or 2018 early - that would be 5 to 6 years after Wii U's launch which is not early; if anything it with the way Wii U is doing now 2017/18 seems like too long to wait.

360 vs PS3 is an example where it paid off to be early, so it could work for Nintendo to be a bit early.  It's a double edged sword though, because if the others then come out with more powerful systems then the initial effect may be short lived.

Anyway, I don't think Gen 8 will be that long so I'd consider 2017~18 too late.  I'd say 2015~16 is mid-gen.

My 8th gen collection

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

PS3

DreamCast

I'm still not catching on to be honest, lol. You're unfortunately going to have to spell this one out for me.... I have my dumb moments.

ICStats said:

Hard to see how you would consider 2017 or 2018 early - that would be 5 to 6 years after Wii U's launch which is not early; if anything it with the way Wii U is doing now 2017/18 seems like too long to wait.

360 vs PS3 is an example where it paid off to be early, so it could work for Nintendo to be a bit early.  It's a double edged sword though, because if the others then come out with more powerful systems then the initial effect may be short lived.

Anyway, I don't think Gen 8 will be that long so I'd consider 2017~18 too late.  I'd say 2015~16 is mid-gen.

Yeah, 2018 would be a bit late I'm realizing, but I'm not talking about mid Wii U gen cycle I'm talking about the competitions. They came out in holiday 2013, so holiday 2017 (practically 2018) would be 4 years into their competitions cycle. This would give Nintendo's console two years to get ports of this gen and another year of cross gen if PS4 and XBone stayed with a 6 year gen cycle, which I believe will be longer. I wouldn't expect a new console from them until 2021 or 2022 which would help Nintendo's new console even more.

bigtakilla said:
ICStats said:

Yeah, 2018 would be a bit late I'm realizing, but I'm not talking about mid Wii U gen cycle I'm talking about the competitions. They came out in holiday 2013, so holiday 2017 (practically 2018) would be 4 years into their competitions cycle. This would give Nintendo's console two years to get ports of this gen and another year of cross gen if PS4 and XBone stayed with a 6 year gen cycle, which I believe will be longer. I wouldn't expect a new console from them until 2021 or 2022 which would help Nintendo's new console even more.

I would put my money on 6 years before we see the next PS/Xbox.

This assuming a) no major economic crash, b) they're still in the game business, c) console gaming doesn't change form by then.  What will Steam/Android/Apple/Gaikai and other disruptors we don't know yet do in 6 years?

My 8th gen collection