By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Santa Barbara Massacre: To Hell With Facts

Even in hypothetical "government over-reach" scenario is a shot gun really going to do a whole lot against say a drone bomb?

Around the Network
starcraft said:

With or without massive gun ownership it is ridiculous to think anyone is going to invade America. Furthermore, the use of guns against the government is only conceivable for crackpots, in a country that otherwise has world-leading civil liberty protections. If such a situation did arise, overwhelming numbers would quickly result in government victory, simply with more death on both sides.

I have already dealt with the scientific fact that criminals being criminals (which would include illegal 3D printing of guns) in no way negates the benefits of strong gun control.

Thank you! Being willing to turn your guns against the government is borderline domestic terrorism. This illogical argument that "criminals don't follow laws so we shouldn't have them" is anarchy. In either case you have to forgive me for thinking these people do not deserve complete unopposed access to any and all firearms they could possibly desire.

McDonaldsGuy said:
I was there at the massacre and saw someone get shot and (probably) die. I am a UCSB student who just wanted to go on a bike ride, not get shot at. One of my friends was just confirmed dead.

How many more must die before we've had enough?

It is not wise to use the same ID you use on that WN site elsewhere on the web lmao.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

On topic, no law could have prevented this one. This was one self-entitled individual who thought he was better than everybody else. He also had to have had some ridiculous expectations not to have landed any girls with all his resources. Probably thought women would flock to him just for the fact that he existed.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

-CraZed- said:
badgenome said:
He also killed half of his victims with a knife. Who's up for some knife control?

Me. We also need more automobile control, starting with those evil BMWs,  as he killed at least one of his victims with his Beamer.

You pro-gun folks sometimes make some really ridiculous arguments. A car's purpose is transportation. A gun's purpose is to kill efficiently. Everything cancause death. Now I don't think a gun ban really solves anything but you guys need to stop these useless comparisons. FYI, you won't win a war with the U.S. govt no matter how many guns you stash. Best case scenario is a bloodbath with 10X the casualties on the civillian side.

Around the Network
SlayerRondo said:
Aielyn said:
Clearly it can't be the fault of the NRA pushing so hard to deregulate the industry and get guns into the hands of more people, right?

That's why Australia's massacre rate has skyrocketed since the Port Arthur Massacre that triggered the massive gun buyback scheme and dramatic increase of gun control here that was implemented by a conservative government...

Oh, right. Since that gun control introduction, there has been a total of ONE gun massacre in Australia. In nearly 20 years. With that one happening more than 12 years ago. Here's the list of years in which gun massacres happened in Australia in recent history: 1984, 1987, 1987, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1996, 2002... and none since then.

Is it that we Australians are inherently less bloodthirsty than Americans? Or is it that gun control actually works, when it's applied across an entire country rather than having a different law in each state allowing those with intent to massacre being able to just cross state lines to get hold of the guns they'll use?

Yes, to hell with facts. What's important here is that those who like guns and want more of them out there are being unfairly slandered, while those evil liberals are getting off scot free when they should be attacked all-out for their abuse of 'facts'.

Are you seriously claiming that liberals do not often during gun control discussions, misrepresent the facts and make emotional arguments as opposed to reasoned ones?

Also gun deaths were already on the decline before the gun control laws were introduced in Australia in 1997.

Gun Deaths in Australia 1987 = 569

Gun Deaths in Australia 1997 = 333  Ten Year Deline = 236

Gun Deaths in Australia 2007 = 190  Ten Year Decline = 143

Australian Bereau of Statistics (ABS). Causes of Death publication series

Australia is just a more peacefull country than America is.

It is? Why is it then that violent crime is actually on the rise in Australia while it is on the decline here in the US?

Other than armed robbery Australia's rates are nearly double that of the US and have been for quite some time.

http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/0/B/6/%7B0B619F44-B18B-47B4-9B59-F87BA643CBAA%7Dfacts11.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats/

Pristine20 said:
-CraZed- said:
badgenome said:
He also killed half of his victims with a knife. Who's up for some knife control?

Me. We also need more automobile control, starting with those evil BMWs,  as he killed at least one of his victims with his Beamer.

You pro-gun folks sometimes make some really ridiculous arguments. A car's purpose is transportation. A gun's purpose is to kill efficiently. Everything cancause death. Now I don't think a gun ban really solves anything but you guys need to stop these useless comparisons. FYI, you won't win a war with the U.S. govt no matter how many guns you stash. Best case scenario is a bloodbath with 10X the casualties on the civillian side.

And yet they happen to kill people at more than twice the rate of the instrument designed to "kill efficiently."   

The comparisons serve to show how laying the blame at the feet of an inanimate object is folly and nonsensical. The point being that if we are really talking about preventing human deaths and the means to do so is to simply ban a thing we should be banning EVERYTHING that causes human deaths starting with the most deadly which at this point is not firearms. But we aren't now are we?

Also, your assertion that you don't win a war with the US govt tell that to the North Koreans and the Vietcong or the Somalians. And the point is so what? Is it just inevitable so we just roll over for a tyrannical government when/if it rears it's ugly head?

condolences to the family of the victims....

My heart goes out to the families of the individuals murdered by this coward. I am not a gun owner, but I am not against people owning guns. I think gun registries are a good thing, in theory, because we should know where guns are and who owns them. But the thing is, guns are still going to be in the wild unregistered and available illegally for those that want them. I've been looking into picking up a .40 cal handgun, just for home protection. I have no problem going through a comprehensive background check and have no problem waiting 10 days, or 30 days if need be.

But, here is the thing. If someone can't get one legally, they can get one illegally. This crackpot could have got his hands on a gun regardless of the law. I won't look for one illegally, ever. But the "bad guys" will. The gov can ban guns outright, and people would still have them, it's just that the wrong people would be the only ones with them, not you and me.

I was talking with a work friend, mentioned my desire to get a pistol, and someone overheard my conversation. He comes up to me later and says to me, I can get you a gun if you need one.... To which I declined, but my point stands: those who wish to improperly use weapons, will get them regardless of the law. It's the law abiding citizens that would be left at the disadvantage here.

I don't have any statistics,but, I'm willing to bet that most gun crimes are committed by people using illegally obtained guns, than crimes committed by those who obtained them legally.

Just my two cents, really don't want to get into the middle of some of the arguments going on here....

-CraZed- said:
Pristine20 said:
-CraZed- said:
badgenome said:

And yet they happen to kill people at more than twice the rate of the instrument designed to "kill efficiently."   

The comparisons serve to show how laying the blame at the feet of an inanimate object is folly and nonsensical. The point being that if we are really talking about preventing human deaths and the means to do so is to simply ban a thing we should be banning EVERYTHING that causes human deaths starting with the most deadly which at this point is not firearms. But we aren't now are we?

Also, your assertion that you don't win a war with the US govt tell that to the North Koreans and the Vietcong or the Somalians. And the point is so what? Is it just inevitable so we just roll over for a tyrannical government when/if it rears it's ugly head?

There you go again. Most car death's are accidental. Most gun deaths are intentional. There is a difference regardless of what the bodycount is. Even less talked about stuff like prescription drugs probably kill more people but there's a reason we don't talk about them as much and the healthcare professionals involved don't always get prosecuted.

What purpose do guns have other than ending lives? Why were guns invented to begin with? Seriously...I will say it again, I'm also not under some sort of delusion that banning something makes problems go away but your comparisons stay just that: ridiculous.

As for the government, no, you're unlikely to win irregardless of what happened in Vietnam or Somalia contrary to popular belief. U.S. government "lost" those battles because they did not go in to win at all costs. I'm sure you remember what happened to Japan in WWII when they didn't care for the costs. Could've done the same to Vietnam or Somalia.

Best case scenario in a hostile takeover would be to hope the military rebels, if not, hunting rifles won't do diddy squat against heavy machine guns, drones, artillery, planes and possibly even biological, chemical warfare and potential nukes depending on how bad the government want to retaing power. You people with your fantasies forget that the government is armed 10X as much.

Lastly, word of advice, if you ever do decide to use your gun, be 100% sure your life is in danger because you will still have to account for any life you take. Dont pull a "Byron Smith".